Asics 2170 or Kayano??

I currently use Asics 2160 and have no problem with them.

I’m due to replace them shortly but just wondered if the Kayano is a similar but more premium model than the 2170 shoe as don’t mind spending a bit more.

I used the Asics online shoe chooser and didn't suggest the Kayano's.

BTW, will be for 1hr+ runs.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Stick with the 2170s, the Kayanos are for over pronators.  I made the same mistake a few years ago thinking more expensive was better but found the Kayanos very heavy and couldn't wear them.  I have run ultra marathons in my 2160s/70s!

• aye puffins............the 2170s are for those with a lot of overpronation so a bit confused by your answerimage

I only mildly pronate and so use the 1160s image

• just looked at the asics shoe chooser.what a pile of junk./

if you read up on the 1170's on their site they say its for mild over pronators which i am.........

yet it doesn't come up as an option for me at all.i have changed all the boxes regarding weight and surface and didtance run etc...........just kept the overpronator box tickked and it never comes up wuth an option..............yet some of the others which are for moderate to heavier overpronation do.......

not very impressed by it........going into a proper shoes shop and talking to the staff seems like a better optionimage

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I agree with the puffin - stick with the 2000 series rather than go with the Kayanos

I haven't tried the Kayanos myself, but have used various models in the 2000 series (and I'm a neutral to mild pronator).  The Kayanos are a much heavier shoe - the 2170 is listed as 265g whilst the Kayano 18 is 330g (on the Asics web site).

They are both "structured cushioning" shoes according to the Asics web site, suitable for mild- to moderate- pronators.  The severe pronators are catered for with the Evolution and Foundation models ("maximum support" in Asics classification).

Personally, I've been happier since I moved towards lighter shoes (Asics DS Trainers and now Saucony Mirage) for my marathon preparation, and the kayano is the antithesis of the minimalist footwear philosophy.  However, this is down to personal choice/taste, so may not be suitable for you.

• Thanks all, will stick with what I have then as happy enough with the 2000's.

• I had 2160s. Lovely. Now on 2170s. I think the'yre a bit taller in the heel, but my 2160s were somewhat worn down. Was given the 2160s after gait testing; bought the 2170s online cheaply.

Like Seren said, I understand that the 1000 series are for mild overpronaotors vs the 2000 series for sever overpronators.

• I'm an extreme over pronator. I've been on 2140, 2150, 2160, and when I was due a change, I got a Kayano 17 instead from Amazon only because of a deal and it was cheaper than a 2170. When I started wearing the Kayano, I felt it was 'heavier' to run in, although I got used to it and had no problems. I'm due another pair now, and I'll go with the 21xx or Kayano depending on price!

• kayano is imo overpriced, paying for "technology" you dont need, stick with the 21xx series

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

I am unable to comment on kayano but i do use 2170, in fact i was quite worried when they brought out 2170 as i was happy with my 2160 but am pleased to say that i did not experience any problem with migrating to 2170.

Now i am looking to buy my second 2170, anyone has got any discount code/recommendation for purchasing 2170, the best price i have seen online is GBP69.99.

Cheers

• Kayonos are over priced, over heavy and cause blistering for many runners.  Try another brand for a better deal, more comfy run.  I switched to Brooks Adrenaline GTS (for support shoes) and love them.  Shop about you might be amazed how much you can save... and how much your enjoyment of running improves.

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

So i guess no offers/codes available at the mo?

• Start Fitness regularly do 10% off weekends which would bring tem down to £67.50.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Start Fitness have the 2170 starting from £65 at the moment - and if you look at the RW shopping partners on the right, you can get 10% off.  This makes them £58.50.

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    stutyr wrote (see)

Start Fitness have the 2170 starting from £65 at the moment - and if you look at the RW shopping partners on the right, you can get 10% off.  This makes them £58.50.

Thanks mate, i think mens sizes are GBP70 and the model i want (2E) is for up foro cool 75 quid so after discount its 67.45, oh well still couple of quid saving, not sure why 2E is 5 quid more on this site though.

• 2E's are always more expensive as they do not make as many ..........not many shoes have the extra wide fitting

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

If you can hang on a little longer, the new model is due at the start of next year.  They're going back to calling it the 2000 series rather than the logical 2180, so hopefully this means the 2170s will be more heavily discounted than normal at the annual model change, as it will appear more than the usual incremental change. 

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    stutyr wrote (see)

If you can hang on a little longer, the new model is due at the start of next year.  They're going back to calling it the 2000 series rather than the logical 2180, so hopefully this means the 2170s will be more heavily discounted than normal at the annual model change, as it will appear more than the usual incremental change. 

The new model is alreday out and priced the same as 2170 when it was new, so lets hope that we see a price drop soon? If anyone see any price drop then pls do update this post.

cheers

• Will the 2170 do for a neutral runner going from nike pegasus 29?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

The 2170 / GT2  is a shoe with a fair amount of support - not really the goto shoe of a neutral runner and not the equivalent of pegasus 29. Sounds like a bad match for you.

• Mark, look at the 'cloud-named' shoes for neutral runners - Cumulus and Nimbus.  But remember, Asics are fashionable and you won't find them discounted like other brands.  Over-priced tat, IMO, but I still buy Kayanos for the wife, when I can find them for sub-£70.  She loves them.image