Just signed up for my 1st 1/2M

in April of 2013 and really want to surprise a couple of friends of mine with a fast (for me anyway) time. Do any of you experienced running guru types fancy taking on a 40something novice student and distance coach me to a 90min run....you may need to be a type who will relish a challenge!!.image 

Comments

• Hi jd,

Good luck with the half marathon, happy to provide some advice to help with your challenge.

It would be useful to understand what is your current level of fitness, and your most recent race time.
  • cheers rob....well im 43 and been running since the start of the year. I really only started running to lose a bit of weight and given i've now lost 3 st i guess that part went well. I have approx 1/2 stone to go to get me to my goal of 13st (i'm 6ft1")

I really wasn't expecting to enjoy the running it was just a means to an end. Anyway to cut a long story short im now hooked!! My current pbs are fairly modest i guess as ive only really run a handfull of races.

5K - 20:29 (ran approx 20 parkruns)

10K - 42:45 (only ever ran 2 races)

10M - 72mins (only ran distance once)

All of the pbs are within the last 6 weeks so its a fair reflection of current time. Currently run 25-30miles a week but this is rising naturally and i will be closer to 35 by the end of the year. i have a mate who ran 91 mins recently so i really want to give him a run for his money come April - whether thats possible i really don't know but it won't be for a lack of effort if i can't.

• Jd, I am by no means an experienced runner ( still a newbie - running since April) but I was in the same position as you - wanting a sub 90 HM. I set my target in the summer and my times then were almost identical to yours - my HM was on Sunday and I ran 1:29:22. I followed the RW sub 1:30 HM training plan and it seemed to work image

Good luck 

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/overdone-it/202026.html

I would recommend the above thread, where the runner was targetting a 1:35 and managed a 1:29. Very good advice without overdoing it I would say.

• Charlotte Rose 2 wrote (see)

Jd, I am by no means an experienced runner ( still a newbie - running since April) but I was in the same position as you - wanting a sub 90 HM. I set my target in the summer and my times then were almost identical to yours - my HM was on Sunday and I ran 1:29:22. I followed the RW sub 1:30 HM training plan and it seemed to work image

Good luck 

Well done to you.... i guess it gives me hope it can be done with hard work. Ive not seen the plan you mention will check it out later tonight when i get home.- cheers

• Hi jon,

Given your recent race times you should most definitely be able to hit 1'35. Given that you are intending to increase your mileage, hitting 1'30 is a really good target.

In terms of specific training - you could review the link posted above or check out RW smartcoach. Alternatively, you might want to have a look at the FIRST training programmes - they have a specific half marathon plan, which is based on 3 runs per week but really intensive.

What you need to factor into your training is some quality speedwork sessions which will help you get to your goal pace, plus a decent long run.
  • just wanted to check back in with this post - been working pretty hard since i last posted on it and since then ive got sub 19:30 5k, sub 39:30 10k and now sub 90 1/2M all in the space of the last 4 weeks. Just shows what a bit of hard work can produce.