Celebritiy culture.

Am I the only person here that couldn't care about celebrities and their over-inflated egos? They act like spoilt brats if they can't get their own way all of the time and coulndn't care less about their adoring fans.

Why do some people queue up for hours in the freezing cold to catch a glimpse of some superstar who doesn't evn care about them. Do these people actualy belive that celebs are bothered about them?

They're just false idols that people worship for what is basically a life of greed, petulant behaviour and wallowing in their own fame? How about adoring real heroes:- nurses, soldiers, police officers etc...

Comments

• Here here rickster.

I've always thought the same.

It's the footballers that annoy me, why should they be paid thousands for kicking a ball about? Pay the nurses and doctors more and you might see the younger generation growing up wanting that career instead of 'I wanna be famous'
  • Obviously you care enough about celebs to post threads on the internet about them. Are you some sort of stalker Rickster?
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Obviously you care enough about celebs to post threads on the internet about them. Are you some sort of stalker Rickster?

Shouldn't you be cooking your husband's tea, woman? image

• I agree it's a bunch of arse but sadly it is human nature and in one form or another it has actually been going on for several hundred years. Nowadays people can become celebs for nothing, personally I would utilise them for target shooting but there are just too many of the feckers.
  • i worry about people who buy HEAT magazine, its not only irrelivant but its made up irrelivant.

• Is it not generally age related behaviour ? When I was a teenager I was a fan of sportsmen or singers/bands. Now I would say I admire someone for what they've achieved rather than being a fan of a celebrity.

Marc - how do you know the stuff in HEAT is made up unless you read it ? image
  • what exactly is this celebritiy?

is this just anyone who is famous? or people on telly? anyone who has appeared in Heat?

is victoria pendleton an over-inflated celebritiy? the queen?

is sir david attenborough a celebritiy?

• The Queen is the top celebrity, I just love reading all the goss about Her Maj, the bikini shots while she is on holiday, the lot.   Does Heat magazine feature the Royals at all - if not I think they are missing out.   

• chris hoy is defo a celebritiy. he is never off the telly.

• Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    Here here rickster.
    It's the footballers that annoy me, why should they be paid thousands for kicking a ball about? Pay the nurses and doctors more and you might see the younger generation growing up wanting that career instead of 'I wanna be famous'

what should footballers get paid? and nurses?

specifics man.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Dude raises interesting questions on celebrity.

I would say that David Attenborough is a famous tv presenter rather than a 'celebrity', as he does his job making TV programmes, but you never hear of him outside that.

Victoria Pendleton is famous for cycling, but also did that dancing programme (and advertising shampoo, I think?), so I think she's gone over to the dark side.

• None of the "celebrities" in I'm a celebrity strike me as being special. They should rename it "My career is flagging - please notice me eating Koala cock"

• Celebrity culture isn't new though, people have always been interested in knowing all about "glamorous" people. The difference now is that we have 24/7 access to information from across the world, so we get more of it.

• you could always just zone out. I know the trash media push it, but you can choose to a great degree how much of your attention you give it. some people enjoy knowing what a singer does when they're not singing, or what a footballer does when they're not footballing, for reasons unknown to me. Perhaps they find it a pleasurable distraction from the mundanity of their own existence. Perhaps it's reassuring to them to see that even the famous and wealthy are not without their frailties and fallabilities. Perhaps it's schadenfreude? Personally, I couldn't give a toss about most people in public life. I enjoy watching some movies and some sport, but I don't care what those people are doing when they're not entertaining me.

• the Crafty Cockney 'not special'???!!! image

• speaking of "the crafty cockney" reminds me of my favourite moment of Hyperbole in sporting commentary, by Sid Waddell in the 80's when Eric Bristow had won yet another world darts title.

"'When Alexander the Great was 33 he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer. Bristow is only 27."

• Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    Here here rickster.

I couldn't care less what footballers get paid as it's not my money.  Doctors and nurses though -  that's my taxes.

Other than that - I agree with AgentGinger - just ignore them.

• Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    Here here rickster.

I couldn't care less what footballers get paid as it's not my money.  Doctors and nurses though -  that's my taxes.

Other than that - I agree with AgentGinger - just ignore them.

my taxes too..so I pay myself image and with the rationalised pay they are talking about I could lose night shift enhancements holidays and sick pay nice after 22 years service and only ever 1 sick note ...(rant over )

Its the public's own  fault for watching shite like Xfactor  , voting, and then buying or downloading the song of the winner.

•  

Rickster wrote (see)

How about adoring real heroes:- nurses, soldiers, police officers etc..

Are these people "real heroes" or is that just a cliché that we seem to have got used to regurgitating?

People do not, by and large, choose to become Nurses, soldiers or coppers because of some grand altruistic impulse to work for crap pay (well, not in the case of coppers, actually) so that they can help sick people, fight for Queen and country or serve and protect.  People choose these careers for all sorts of reasons.  Ultimately, almost all of them are doing the job that they want to do, not doing it under duress because of some altruistic calling they couldn't fight.

That's not to say that some people do not do heroic things in the line of duty in these jobs and there are definitely people to be really admired who work in these fields.  There's also, somewhere, an investment banker (gulp) who ran into a burning house to rescue their neighbour's baby or pulled a drowning dog out of a frozen lake.  They never got paid a penny for that, it wasn't their job to be heroic.

"Heroes" or in my world, people who I can greatly admire, tend to be individuals and not representative of groups of people.  Some soldiers murder, some nurses are spiteful to their patients and some coppers are bent.

Some people who do wonderful, admirable things in their life might just be TV personalities....

• If people are paid massive amounts for kicking a football around it is because someone somewhere is willing to pay for it, and it must generate a return or they would not pay it.

It's harsh but why pay more for a Nurse when almost everyone is capable of doing the job (although I admit I would choose not to) and people particularly from eastern Europe will do it for the current pay or less.

• it's better than the old days when footballers were paid a pittance and all of the money went to football bosses.

football generates a lot of dosh. if anyone is going to get it, i'd prefer it was the workers.

• Well having just paid £31 for a ticket to watch Derby this Saturday I'd rather it didn't generate so much dosh from me !    I know I don't have to pay it but my daughter has been on at me to take her to another match - luckily under 12s were only £9 - the only is relative.    I suppose it's worth it just to indoctrinate her - the old ways die hard.

• ay caramba. vote with your feet. I follow my local non-league side. fiver in.

• watch even crapper football and watch it for free................

I agree that there has always been sopmeone that teenagers will look up to........

as for doctors  nurses etc.you get some good ones and you get some crap onbes.the same as most other jobs.....and if you told them there was no money in the bank to pay them for the next 3 months  ( as what happens in a lot of hospitals in africa )........how many of them would still be there working 3 months down the line.those are the heroes...

• If people find the time to watch X Factor and worships celebs, then it shows just how empty their lives really are.

• not everyone can be as enlightened as you.

it just isn't possible.

• seren nos wrote (see)

watch even crapper football and watch it for free................

I agree that there has always been sopmeone that teenagers will look up to........

as for doctors  nurses etc.you get some good ones and you get some crap onbes.the same as most other jobs.....and if you told them there was no money in the bank to pay them for the next 3 months  ( as what happens in a lot of hospitals in africa )........how many of them would still be there working 3 months down the line.those are the heroes...

Too right I wouldnt, I would take advantage of tax payers money and sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle and re runs of Xfactor, 

• I'm feeling rebellious and contrary.  I might start watching X Factor!

• PhilPub wrote (see)

I'm feeling rebellious and contrary.  I might start watching X Factor!

As long as your rebellion doesn't go as far as watching Jeremy Kyle.