First week trail running

Hello all,

Almost done my first week trail run training for the Cartmel 18k and the Coniston Trail marathon. Muddy, tired, but loved every minute of it. Has anyone entered these events for next year and if so whats your training like/how's it going. I have just started with 5/6 mile runs at around the 9 min/mile mark with some hills throuwn in.  Hoping to build up to one of the Montane Lakeland Ultra 26 if I do well in Coniston and can learn map reading !!!!! then 2014 a Lakeland50.......realistic target ? achievable ?

Comments

• Well done! I have started trail running recently, although no events planned, and I love every second of it!

Good luck with your training image

• trail running is by far my favourite and I do it much more often than road running, not least because i can take the dog with me! 

The thing to remember is not to get too caught up with mins per mile as the terrain alters so much.

I'vecompleted quite a few trail races this year (avebury 8 was most recent) and hoping to work up to the purbeck marathon in september next year!

i'd recommend buying 'Trail Running' magazine, but only for the articles of course, not the pictures of running kit *ahem* image

• I did the Lakeland Trails marathon this year and loved it. Tough going but so much more fun than road marathons. The weather was vile but somehow that just added to my overall enjoyment. Knee deep in boggy mud and wading through streams and I loved every minute. Thuinking of entering it again next year but not sure yet - there are just so many events I want to do!

• Trail magazine is guilty of getting me running off road, good magazine,

Run-with-dogs, What sort of training did you do for the Lakeland trails marathon ?

• Max's mum, did you follow a training plan for trail races ? I have been building my fitness/stamina up after been away working unable to run and then I'm going to work on speed and distance

• I am a trail runner in its entirety, I don't run on roads hardly ever only on an old railway track for my intervals. I am lucky to be living 0.21 miles from the nearest trail so I always run there and not on roads. Targets may be achievable, a lot of other factors depends on them. I would just take one day at a time and enjoy your trail runs. Sometimes it may be difficult to get motivated to run in bad weather but I love it bring rain snow or shine, I love being muddy. Just get proper gear and you'll be fine. Good luck

• I grew up playing rugby league in yorkshire and was subjected to training from the age of 12 in some horrid winters but now its my favourite time of year. Much prefer running in the cold and rain to the hot sunshine (weird I know) I did run on the roads after finishing playing rugby but just recently switched to trails as I enjoy it much more.

• Runswithmoobs wrote (see)

Hello all,

Almost done my first week trail run training for the Cartmel 18k and the Coniston Trail marathon. Muddy, tired, but loved every minute of it. Has anyone entered these events for next year and if so whats your training like/how's it going. I have just started with 5/6 mile runs at around the 9 min/mile mark with some hills throuwn in.  Hoping to build up to one of the Montane Lakeland Ultra 26 if I do well in Coniston and can learn map reading !!!!! then 2014 a Lakeland50.......realistic target ? achievable ?

I seem to be in the same situation, most of my running has been on the road (recently ran the Barcelona Marathon) but....now booked onto the Coniston Marathon and started trail running, and loving it!!!! But when I was training for Barcelona I concentrated on a good even pace for my long weekend runs. But now I'm running up and down dale my pace is not consistent although I feel the effort I'm putting in is.
    I've now deceided to forget about my pace on my long trail runs and concentrate on the distance. Not sure if this is a good tactic, I guess I'll find out in July.

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

Hey everyone just thought I would stick my head around the corner...

If you like your trail races hard and hilly check this out...

http://www.hellrunner.co.uk/

done it in 2010 and 2011 so much fun! image As for trail tips, as much as you can try to relax. The hills and bumps will be a lot easier to tackle if you lose the tension in your body and let the terrain do the work for you! image

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

I have permanently dirty toe nails , and ingrained muck on my feet.Love to be off up a hill, running through woods and climbing up a stream.Never go on a road unless it takes me to a trail.Some fab runs on the www.fellrunner.org 

amazingly cheap compared to road races and theres always tea and cake afterimage, you get a different type of runner doing this stuff, not an MP3 player in sightimage.I find its amazing how far your feet can take you off road , and the places you never get to experience off the beaten track.