Transition from hm to full marathon

Basically long story short. I run half marathons, been doing it for years; next year I want to try a full marathon, but not only run it, I also have in mind a sub 3:10

How realistic is a time like that for someone that hasn't run a full marathon before?

What do I need to keep in mind, training wise, nutrition wise, etc?

Thanks for any advice

My HM PB is 1:22
My 10k PB is :38

Comments

• Seems pretty realistic for me. 

• Your half time is excellent. Sub 3 looks possible I reckon. Sub 3.10 should be a cert though. Is that a recent half pb ?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you get the long runs in. Approx 5-6 20 + milers in your build up you will be fine. No need to run them hard either. You are 6 mins faster than me over the half and my PB is 3.07 so sub 3.10 should be well within reach. If all goes well you could go sub 3
  • I got the 1:22 this year in October at the Great Birmingham Run, it was a flat race though. The marathon I am planning to run is in April 2013 in Worcester.

So basically as long as I do my 20 milers i should be ok for the race and for a sub 3:10?

Many thanks.

• Same HM time as me. You have more than enough speed, so as has been said, get the long runs in, and ideally a medium long midweek run of 10 - 15m will get you the endurance you need. I managed sub 3 following a 1:22hm

Maybe join the sub 3:15 thread for advice along the way
  • Cracking times. I'm wondering the same about the step up. I've not run as many half marathons though! And no way as fastimage My half PB is 1 hr 42. I really want to have a crack at the marathon but am also quite daunted. Nutrition is something I know I need to improve on too. 

Good luck!

• the problem with me is that half marathon is still a hard challenge mentally, just the thought of running another 13.1 miles gives me a mental breakdown.

is it just a mental issue perhaps? do i need more like a positive mind?

another thing, i usually run the hm with no 'snacks' at all (i mean anything, from gels, to energy bars, jelly babies, beans, etc) i guess the full marathon is another level and i might need a 'snack' what would you recommend? I get stomach cramps easlily.

Many thanks guys

• Yes, the full marathon is another level! I don't tend to eat anything either - on the odd occasion though I do eat jellybabies, but I don't find them that easy to swallow when running. It is something you need to practice though - most (if not all) people need some form of fuel to keep them going in the shape of fluid/food of some description.

Try food rather than gels etc if you get cramps perhaps - I also use dates/raisins and drink coconut water to rehydrate (not to everyone's taste I know), but you have enough to time to try different foods etc. Some people like malt loaf as well...experiment and see what works for you.

You have great speed so just keep positive and work on endurance/strength and I have no doubt you'll be fine! Good luck.

• Same here - I run a HM with no food, and often no water. Nutrition is critical to the marathon as without additional carbs, you will run your glycogen down to zero and have to run off low grade fuel (fat!). Its not impossible to run a marathon without additional carbs, but your performance is likely to be heavily affected.

You will just need to find a gel, drink or snack that you can stomach on the day. Its not necessary to use gels etc in training, other than to ensure you don't upchuck

It is as much a mental as well as physical challenge. The training prepares you for both. Go on, you know you want to!
  • I find I can run 13 miles on no food and not that much water. My stomach is uber sensitive, to even water so I have to be careful. I think this daunts me with the full marathon! As much as the prospect of running another 13 image 

• njordhrsdeath wrote (see)

Basically long story short. I run half marathons, been doing it for years; next year I want to try a full marathon, but not only run it, I also have in mind a sub 3:10

How realistic is a time like that for someone that hasn't run a full marathon before?

What do I need to keep in mind, training wise, nutrition wise, etc?

Thanks for any advice

My HM PB is 1:22
    My 10k PB is :38

I am in the same boat, been doing halfs for a couple of years, and am doing my first full marathon on 7th April, with the Sussex Marathon. Did the half, and that was hilly. I am starting my training now. Just adding a mile extra on my long runs.

My PB so far is 1.34, so believe me if i can do it, you will be fine, but it is a different pace i know.

• njordhrsdeath

i do so wish you well, as said by Cougie ? your times are fab,

transition form hM to FM, well, that depends on build up,....expereince tells me to forget time, ( if your goal is possible later on route ) then yes go for it, -

your later post is good and worth you studying more

physcological structure  to expect and to deal with the UNexpected - prepearation, rest, food, drink, - correct clothing, any anti chaffers ( at the ready )

increase mileage at your will, be prepeared to be on your feet for more hours

keep relaxed when ever and where ever possible, dont get DE hydrated and dont get burn out, - it takes expereince to survive

good luck always, i'll be lurking