Lancashire Runners

I thought it might be good to have a place to discuss running in our area, outside of the specific race forums.

I'm in the South Ribble area, my next race is the Longridge 7 Mile and I frequently do the ParkRun at Avenham Park Preston.

Comments

• Hello

I'm in Lancaster, raced yesterday at the Ulverston 10k, my next races are the helsby half and the Blackpool half marathons, also planning on doing the Fylde coast triathlon trilogy ( Ribby Hall, St Annes and Fleetwood ).

• Hello ironholgs, i think i remember you from the coasters runs well i remember the user name any how!

I did one of the Blackpool HM but it was only a loop of part of the front, wasn't very enjoyable. But ive heard the other one is good.

• Hi everyone.great idea this page.preston was my first proper run.i loved it and want to do lots more.i did the darwen tower fell race the other week.finished with a time of 51mins.was hard though in mud with just normal trainers.i was falling more than running lol.not sure what races im doing next.but deff wanting to do blackpoll and manchester marathons in april.
  • Hi all 

SJPC14 Longridge 7 I have not done that one for quite a while but enjoyed it so much when i did, may give this one a go again.  

Manchester marathon i may also do ,as this will be a nice training run coming up to my ultra in June .

Rick slater 2,

Well done on the Darwen tower fell race .

Ironholgs well done on Ulverston 10k, I may also book to run the Blackpool half .

• Nice idea to have our own little Red Rose corner, how long before the Tykes over the hill catch up image

I've only got into regular racing this year and am still very much in the "slow but improving" catagory!

Got the bug bad though and my next month looks like this:

8/12 Mid Lancs XC at Crooklands, Kendal (1st crack at XC, someone has to come last image)

15/12 Great Langdale 10k

23/12 Club Christmas 5k

26/12 Leyland Worden Park 10k

27/12 Club Handicap (3.5m)

30/12 Ribble Valley 10k

6/1 Central Lancs 1/2 marathon (Catforth)

Did someone say don't overdo it? image

• wow thats an impressive list of races Lytham! And on boxing day too! very brave lol

And there is a part of me, which is tempted to do the Ribble Valley 10k, but i usually take sometime off running at xmas so its a wrestling match in my mind at the moment.

I think i will try and remember to do that Darwin race next year, i work in Blackburn and have often driven home and looked over at it and thought, i wonder what its like to run up that! #YouKnowYourARunnerWhen

The Longridge race is good one, ive not done it for a few years myself so really looking forward to it. Its going to be chip timed this year, so has been a price increase but it should give people a better chance to PB.

This is the route, well this is what the route was, when i last did it :

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/2e54b21fcd4e464fb4c4f2e1f339f4db?unit=mi

Yes i thought this was a good idea to have a local group, chance for people to discuss smaller races which dont get their own forum, local running routes and even make friends. It wasnt my idea mind, someone from Huddersfield on the Preston marathon forum suggested it, i think.

• Hi all,

Lancashire here too.  Sounds like some serious racing going on, great to see so many local races, especially over winter.  I've been out of the running game for a couple of years but just secured a charity place for the London marathon next year so really need to get cracking. 

Might look in to one of the races towards the end of the year - could do with a 10K to guage where I'm up to fitness wise, although maybe I'd be better off not knowing! image

NBFS

• SJPC14 - yep that was me, unfortunately never got to run my leg as had to cover for a sick colleague that day and couldn't get out of teaching.

Lytham LT - Impressive race calender, enjoy Kendal this weekend, bloody big hill on that one if I remember correctly, although that can be said for a few of the midlancs XC apart from Blackpool.

Amster - Thanks, was a good race, they do it again in the summer as well - personally don't think you can find a faster 10k course. Done the blackpool half a couple of times, not the most interesting of course but it fits in with my Ironman training for 2013 so will have a plod along the seafront.

NBFS - good luck with getting back into running and training for London.

• Lytham LT wrote (see)

Nice idea to have our own little Red Rose corner, how long before the Tykes over the hill catch up image

cough, cough. I think it might have been me (from Sheffield) who suggested this in one of the Guild threads. btw, I did overdo it and haven`t raced since getting a stress fracture in July. image

Seriously though, good luck with this thread; I`ve met some nice people and one or two really good friends through our Sheffield Social thread. I like to race over in Lancs though as there are lots of nice events to choose from and it`s nice and flat compared to the Steel City! image

• Ah ET, it was you i remember now. For some reason i thought you were from Huddersfield! But yes people, this is the guy that came up with this idea .

Your welcome post on here ET, i guess everybody is really, i certainly dont mind

• Ironholgs, oi, don't scare me re Kendal lol, I've been told it's no more than very gently undulating at Crooklands image.

I believe this is a relatively new venue (Westmorland County Showground?) so may not be the one you remember (hope not anyway!!).

We've a fair few XC newbies at Lytham (especially amongst the girls) and everyone is enjoying it so I thought I'd better join in image - us sand grown'uns can't do hills y'know (or so we keep getting told image)

• Yep that's the same venue - they might have changed the course though, it's well over 20 years since I last ran there.

Good luck - am sure you won't be last.

• ET - haha, that's me told image, thanks for the idea!

One thing I've noticed is the number of Yorkshire Club runners that come over here regularly for races, obviously it's pretty flat and conducive to good times but their support is really appreciated. I felt outnumbered most of the way around at Guys 10 on Sunday, we were coralled in most of the way by Halifax, Bingley & Spenborough!!

• cheers Ironholgs, possibly not, but I'll give the old dependables from Chorley some company most of the way around image.

It's still all quite new to me as I've only been racing since May and running in any shape or form for 15 months, but I've learned that there's no shame in coming in at the back (had a couple of lasts in my 30 events so far), it's the taking part and aiming to improve that counts. You do get loads of encouragement from fellow members and runners from other clubs too.

I just wish more would have a go and not be afraid, once you get over that first hurdle of joining the club and taking part there's nothing to hold you back.

• SJPC14 wrote (see)

Ah ET, it was you i remember now. For some reason i thought you were from Huddersfield! But yes people, this is the guy that came up with this idea .

Your welcome post on here ET, i guess everybody is really, i certainly dont mind

Cheers! There are so may good races over your way; I like the Lytham 10 and Calder Vale is a tester. Also got a good time at Blackpool 10k in Stanley Park. Might get over for the Inskip race if I can keep going without injury.

• I have done the Lytham and Calder Vale, well i did a race in Calder Vale, so i guess it was the same one! But yes both good races, i think. Not done the Blackpool Stanley Park 10k but ive heard its good.

I have seen that Inskip one, is it a new race ? I dont recall ever seeing it advertised in past years.

I usually, use www.ukresults.net to look up races.

• I think Inskip is new, seems a bit close in both timing and area to Central Lancs 1/2 (Catforth) a couple of weeks before, but it should be a pretty quick course and not everyone will be mad enough to run a 1/2 straight after New Year image, so it'll probably do well entry wise. I'm doing Endurance Life on Anglesey the day before so I'm sitting that one out.

Looking at UK Results we really are going to be spoilt for choice up here next year - just had a look at my calendar for 2013 and NOT including club events I've already got 16 booked in, including 7 half marathons and Race the Train (at Tywyn)....no wonder I'm skint image

• Do you ever stop racing Lytham! Impressive though!

Are you signed up to ParkRun ? As thats a chance for you to do a free 5k race every week lol

The CL one is always on Jan 1st, which rules me out! image

• SJPC14

I'm making the most of it whilst I can!!

I'm 48, have two young kids and eventually either the body will scream "ENOUGH", the kids will take up even more of my time or both image

I really enjoy the crack at races, the atmosphere, the buzz. I used to go out for a long training run at weekend but racing's far more fun. I'm still at that happy stage where most weeks I'll improve on last time and I'm learning all the time too. I've come a long way in a relatively short time and am still on a high from losing a lot of weight and getting fit again. I'm an endorphine junkie image

I am signed up for Parkrun but I've only done it twice (Preston and Pennington Flash). It was good to help me get started but I prefer longer runs/races now, 10k, 10 mile and hm suit me better, on or off road, I like to mix the two (to lesson the impact on the old joints).

I also get a real buzz out of helping other beginners to improve and inspiring them to try new things, it's extremely rewarding.

ps - Central Lancs HM is on Jan 6th this year, but may well be full.

• Its great to see such enthusiasm from a runner Lytham and well done on looking out for newbies. I try and do that too, some people try running , struggle and give up. But if they just knew a little bit more then they would really enjoy it, so always help out the new guys!

Sounds like your doing just fine. I have a load of set races and challenges i want to complete in running and once ive done them i might stop running. But till then im really enjoying. A group of us head out on Sundays for a long run and ive got the ParkRun Preston on Saturday and those social elements really help make running more run. Midweek is when i concentrate on my own running and get in some good sessions.

• All sounds good.

Lytham sounds like you need a P.A. to keep your race diary intact image

I'm a member of COLT ( City of Lancaster Triathlon ) and I look after the mid week running session, hills, intervals etc. We have some bloody quick people, 5-6 min miles ( not me ) but we always regroup so that the slowest doesn't get left behind, that way they don't get discouraged.

I compete in triathlons but running is always my favourite discipline.

• Triathlons hey! ive always fancied doing one of those just so i could said i have done it. But not so sure about the cold waters of the UK lol

• Thanks SJ, you're bang on about the social side too, I've only been a member since May but have made a good number of new friends and it's great to encuorage and help each other.

I paced one of our newer members around the Guys 10 on Sunday as she's going for her silver standard at FV60, but has little concept as yet as to how to pace herself (a Garmin is top of her Christmas list image). We both came in comfortably ahead of schedule and the feeling at the end was magic.

It was never going to be a problem for her in reality (based on a recent hm performance), but she just needed that bit of help and reassurance that she was doing it right and not speeding off and blowing up!

The fact that after little more than 6 months I can be a real help to less experienced runners is brilliant (listen to me talking about less experienced after 6 months, hohoho), it gives you a real sense of achievement and the camaraderie is terrific. Equally the help I've had from people who've been through similar situations to myself is invaluable and inspiring and it only seems natural to give something back.

Without the newbies ultimately there'd be no club, I always go out of my way to help them relax and settle in if they look like they need it.

Gonna shut up now before I sound like a bleedin' evangelist imageimageimage

ps you'll never stop, running is like Royston Vasey image

• SJ - I've done a bit of open water swimming this year (lake and sea), get a decent wetsuit and cap and the cold ain't a problem image

• Yeah a decent wetsuit, a couple of caps and you'll be fine. Open water triathlons tend to be me late april to september, the cold wears off after a few minutes when you can no longer feel your hands or feet, and you've got over the ice cream headache.

I'm not really selling it am I image

• lol umm no lol.... might do one still one day, maybe a year or two down the line. I bet its pretty good to do them mind.

And Lytham, yes you've had a pretty amazing rise into running and its great what your doing. keep up the good work. And yes your probably right about the not quiting running, but the intention is there lol

• Great fun - honest. I've been doing them for 6 years now.

• Ironholgs wrote (see)

Lytham sounds like you need a P.A. to keep your race diary intact image

Nah, just a very big calendar in my office so I don't double book image

• Maybe i will seek your advice when i finally get brave enough to race dirivng into a cold pond somewhere for a tri

• ahh, the joys of ice cream headache image

I'm a fair bit off a tri yet (Bradley Wiggins has absolutely nothing to worry about with me, I am crap on a racing bike) but I quite fancy one of the lake swims like the Buttermere Sportive. I've had to switch to front crawl because of a shoulder problem (tendons, ouch) and it is actually much easier once you get into a steady rhythm.

My only problem in lakes is going in a straight lineimage