Tuesday 4th December 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics: In a hot bath To those nice nice nights

Yesterdays lyrics: The Pogues classic song :'Tale of New York'

What:Mornng 4M steadily and in parts slippery on frozen snow.

Why:Okay run mostly. Ran mostly off road as can see fields due to snow

spark: Stay in Erskine.

MrsB birthday today

Bak later.

Comments

• Morning.

Happy Birthday Mrs B.

No snow here but lots more rain overnight - more water, just what we didn't need.

Hope your ankle is better after a nights rest Alehouse. Any tips for icing the cakes - think I need to tackle one of mine this weekend.

NZC - I just press the lap button on mine after an appropriate time/distance - have never progressed as far as programming it.

What:            turbo session
    Why:             need bike time and no chance of riding outside at the moment
    Last hard:      2/12
    Last rest:       1/12

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

Good to see you Postie. You seem to have maintained a decent level of fitness ready for your next venture.

LMH: I put marzipan on about a week before I ice the cake. Then use a Royal icing recipe, getting the icing so stiff it barely moves! Ankle less swollen this morning!

What: walk, stretches and exercise bike

Why: following physio's instructions

Lyrics: no

Very wet here also.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Mrs B - happy Birthday
    NZC - I hope the Chiro visit wasn't too painful!
    Am I the only one without a garmin/HRM/GPS?
    what - either club session if I can , otherwise reps on my own.
    why - its tuesday's session
    last rest - friday
    last hard - the weekend
    lyric - appropriate!
    should have known yesterday's....

• Alehouse - good news that the ankle has gone down already. I put the marzipan on at the weekend. Any top tips to ensure that the icing will stick - I've heard it can be an issue.

NZC - hope you're fixed.

Dustin - I'm a technophobe but wouldn't like to be without my Garmin even though I only use it in a basic way.

• LMH: never had a problem with the icing sticking! In fact it usually sticks everywhere!! Ankle swells most days but a couple of hours' elevation and it goes down: apparently that is normal for many months post Achilles op, and neither the consultant nor the physio seem concerned.

Dustin:  I managed for many years without a garmin, and HR was done manually. Got a Garmin last Jan....and have not run since. I fin it quite useful for measuring how far it is to the alehouse by various different routes, though.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning all,

Hectic at work so didn't get a chance to reply yesterday, or run.

Same every year, customers want everything finished before Xmas... Although can't complain, I'm fitting a oak parque floor that's gonna look stunning when it's finished image

Club night tonight, so some form of efforts.

Lyrics... Nope image

Have a good day everyone.
  • Afternoon all. Happy birthday, Mrs B. AH hope progress conti
    Whatnues on all fronts.
    Garmin was given as 50th birthday present and never been fully used in anger, I managed not to stop it at the finish of a couple of races so generally cba to use.
    Lyrics: had to google, know the tune didn't have a clue from the lyrics. Yes, appropriateimage
    What:5k fartlek and maybe follow up later
    Why: Coz I felt like it

Last Hard/Rest as per yesterday
    20k Moreton Morrell Christmas Cracker on Sat so no need to taper as it will ass for some sort of LSR.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

christmas names! lol

sweep did my efforts onthe track last night, 11 x200, was good!

alehouse you sound like a domestic goddess! glad ankle is easier

lyrics no

lmh, I wish I had made a cake!

what: club run later

why: tuesday

last hard track last night

last easy  last week sometime

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo: no time to be a goddess today...just having a break from wallpapering! Don't tell LMH because she will tell me off for going up and down the step ladder. Sweep will say its cross training. I say its just got to be done!

• Hi
    Welcome back from oblivion Postie, you clearly haven't been idle in your absence.
    From time to time I think about adding a seasonal flavour to my forum name, but it's a high risk strategy as someone else is bound to steal my identity.

It takes me ages to get all the Christmas stuff erected. I like to add something new each year. I've been making wooden models for a Nativity scene over the years, they are each about a foot high, and reside in an alcove at the appropriate time. Of course, some have now got a nickname - the Wonky donkey, Shaun the sheep, and Shauna. I think that I might need to make Ermintrude the cow this year.

Oh. Training. Yesterday, swim and I'm convinced that I lost count in the first 6 lengths. The mile (64) in 46 minutes. 2000m (80) in 59 minutes. I am getting desperate to break out of this mould of "jogging". I know that my HR can take a higher workload.

• Haha, alehouse, my boss would say the sameimage
  • Afternoon

What 7 with hills
    Why Something diffrent
    Lyrics no

Just beat my November mileage this morning and still no issues.

• Afternoon

Alehouse - stepladder  thas how i spent  my night last night up down up down taking down bunting. It'll go back up this weekend all the fun of the fair

Happy Birthday Mrs B image

Nothing today just a walk to town and back (4 miles) to sort stuff out.

• I shall just wag my finger Alehouse.

Blisters - are you still doing tri club swim sessions?

I managed to raise my HR on the turbo this afternoon which is good.

• Just 3 dry miles today
    Why: 3ºC
    Last Hard: Sunday XC
    Last Rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no

just planning a different sort of cake (I don't get let in on Christmas cake making which is strictly Elspeth's domain)
    Orkney Polar Bear Club (outdoor swimmers) christmas party on Saturday
    - this year I'm planning a Hazelnut meringue iceberg on a sea of sea blue meringue surmounted by a marzipan polar bear or two. Maybe the odd Orca too.
    Will even be GF LMH image

Will be an interesting sort of party, with  sea dip after dark followed by retreat to jacuzzi (if it works) then on to eats and drinks. (Last year we had a sauna available too)

The only sort of party where the clothes go back on as the evening progresses! image

LMH - some people coat the marzipan with a thin layer of jam

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

LMH  I tend to coat it in apricot jam that I have warmed up slightly.
    NZC hope the chiro was ok.
    Ale sorry to hear about yesterday's difficulties, hope the wallpaper is going up ok!
    OH though it sounds awesome, I think this may be a rather you than me Christmas party!

What: trying to work out how to see a doctor in Germany...
    Why: that bite I had 2 years ago that flared up again last year, has flared up again...doc thinks it may be leishmaniasis (I don't want a parasite image)
    Last hard: hearing that I may have a nasty parasite!

Have a good evening all.

• Thanks guys - chiro went well, though think I might need a little bit more adjusting!

emzap - hope you are alright!

wabo - good speed session.

Tinselcelt - good luck with the 20km.

What: 4.94km after the chiro - felt fine.

• That's not good emzap.

I thought that the warmed jam went between the cake and the marzipan rather than on top of the marzipan?

OH - I shall expect great culinary cake creations next time I visit!

• LMH: I use apricot jam sandwiched twixt cake and marzipan.

NZC:  that sounds a very precise distance! You must be getting used to the technology!

Emzap:  hope that whatever it soon goes!

Tom:  I read elsewhere that you were going to report in...!

• In for  a quick nosey.

postie: It's good to see you back.

• Firstly, and most importantly, cakes. The jam helps the marzipan stick to the cake. Sieved apricot jam, warmed slightly is the recommended. I use crab apple jelly, because we make tons of it, there's no pips, and it's got a delicate flavour. I'll even add a little warm water to it in order to help thin it down. The icing doesn't ever have a problem sticking to the marzipan, in fact I usually let the marzipan dry out for a couple of days. Otherwise it can sometimes start to colour bleed through if I'm using Royal icing. No worries with instant fondant.

(If you are sticking fondant to a madeira cake, for example on a creative bithday cake, then I use a light skinning of butter cream to stick it down. Fruit cakes are easier to work)

LMH, yes I am getting the group coaching sessions every Sunday. There were 17 of us at the last one, so 1-2-1 time is limited. Of course, I can ask, listen and then ignore when in the water. I'm convinced that a breakthrough is just around the corner.

What's the time Mr Wolf....may be time for a run.

• 4k swam and 4 mile ran!!

Seeing the fella tomorrow - hopefully he'll sort out the lingering issues (calf mainly) - I sure will be glad to see the end of this episode. Mrs PM has banned me from digging - Hooray!!!!

. On the subject of making cakes Mrs PM has set up a little cottage industry for Christmas - Christmas Puddings (but made of chocolate biscuit cake instead). Orders flying in!!! 

Goodnight

• 5.5 miles done with a tempo run done in the middle, kept a steady 6:40 per mile pace up, and no niggles still with my knee so reckon I'm ok to carry on with pushing myself on speed sessions.

Glad I've obviously learnt from experience and now ease off when I feel I should, even if it doesn't turn out to be as bad as first thought image better to take a few days off or easy than miss a couple of weeks or months...
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

What - 6.25m steady
    Why - Base
    Last hard - Sat
    Last Rest - Yesterday

Take care