Lancashire Runners

Comments

• SJ, don't think driving in is allowed image

• yeah driving would make it much easier image

Front crawl is much easier and efficient, lets you conserve the energy for the bike and run.

never done one of the organised lake swims, have swum in derwentwater in april and that was a whole new definition of cold.

Did my first run on the fells a couple of weeks ago over Ingleborough and loved it, something I hope to get into a bit more.

• really, blast i'll stick to diving then :P

I fancy tackling some fell races on day, in fact apart of me likes to imagine that i could do that snowdon race one day..... yer i know.

• lol i know, i'm thinking its quite a leap from road running lol but its kinda on my hit list, in pencil mind you!!!

It would be amazing to get up there.

• I agree it would be - I'm sure it's doable with the right sort of prep.

• oh yes im sure it is, just not right now lol but one day who knows. my target list was the marathons of London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast and Dublin with Paris and Rome Pencilled on and then as a bonus the Snowdon run. But there is no Cardiff marathon and I have since completed London and Edinburgh so part way though it.

• My next target was going to be blackpol/manchester marathons but after reading posts on here.i want a race over xmas.anyone know of any good ones near accrington over xmas?
  •  

Depends how far you want to travel rick, there is the Longridge one on Sunday and the Ribble Valley 10k is coming up soon. Check Ukresults and see what they have up.

• The five mile race in Blackpool is good too. Think it is on the 23rd this year. My OH did it last year.
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

I moved to Lancashire from London last year, and now live in the Ribble Valley.  I am doing the Stockport 10 this sunday, and then will look to enter a spring marathon.

I have started to take up fell running, slowly getting used to the hills.

•  

Well come to the area Shiva and Ribble Valley is a nice part of Lancashire to be in. Bet you have some good running routes round there. And good luck on Sunday!

• Shiva - S10 is a great event albeit on a very dull course for the most part. I did it 2 years ago on a treachourous(icy) course. In fact I am wearing the long sleeved top from the race goody bag today!

• From Yorkshire originally but got lost on wrong side of border and now live in Morecambe....Ironholgs, to take a quote from your Bloody fantastic book "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" I'm on here.....

It inspired me to push further and compete/complete something I have wanted to do since finishing playing Rugby League and so I entered the Cartmel 18k trail race in March in a build up to the Coniston Trail Marathon and eventually in 2014 I want to complete the Lakeland50 before my 39 birthday (didnt inspire me enough to go for the Lakeland100 for 2014 though !!!!!!)

Thanks for a great book, and thanks for giving me that nudge

• Ironholgs has written or recommended a book ? Im confused and intrigued

And so you know, this is the right side of the border lol - Saying that im originally from Hampshire, but still :P

And Rugby League and Lake Distrcit trail races, very impressive!! I have a mate who is just getting into going the lake district races, he does really enjoy them, although i dont think id ever do the Lakeland50 thats way out of my range lol  

• SJPC14, Its way out of my range but with training and determination (plus alot of luck to make up for lack of talent, skill, decent running legs, brain....list goes on) I'm going to make it my goal.

Ironholgs and the book ? Ooops, erm image maybe I shouldn't have said.....leave it to the man himself to explain

• Your be fine Paul im sure, if youve the drive to do it, your do it. Just its a matter of sticking at it and making the training routine. Which, as a Rugby league guy, im sure you know about and if you could do that im sure you can do running.

A good book which might aid you, its a marathon book but im sure the same logic can be applied to your ultra runs is "Advanced Marathoning"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

In regards to Ironholgs, has a cat been let out of bag ? lol

Did six miles last nite, it was freezing!!!! Stil plenty of runners our and about mind you!

• Thats another book to my xmas list !!!, Thanks SJPC. I was supposed to be going to Birmingham for work today but that got shelved so I will be dragging myself out this afternoon in the rain and cold for a run. Around the same, 6miler but on flat Canal Path from Hest Bank doing some Tempo training. Hoping to do a long steady run on the hills at Quernmore/Trough of Bowland or Warton Crag at weekend. It will be first time training around either so should get lost in a ditch somewhere. Im a directional dislexic

• Yer its a good book, Ive learnt a few good things from it.

It a be more enjoyable running this afternoon than this evening im sure of it! So make the most of being a fraction warmer than you would of been!!

Ive recently discovered Canal running, its really nice isn't it, you can go for miles without seeing a car! Brilliant!

Well if you die at the weekend, at least you died doing what you loved, the running that is, not the being a ditch! Da dum tsss!!! he he Yer i know, but hey was worth it!

• ive just got that book sjpc14 off amazon.looking forwards to reading it.since preston marathon ive ive not done much running apart from darwen fell run.that was madness to me.ive picked 1st jan to start back training.looking for a race soon as well.then its full training for blackpool and manchester marathons.im hoping in one of them to do it in 3hrs 30mins.im hoping them 2 marathons would more suit the canal and flat running i set myself.whats everybody else got planned on here?

• oh right well done rick! It wont do you any harm easing back into things after Preston, in fact it will probably do your body some good, as they say it takes around a month to fully recover from running a marathon.

The only race ive planned is the Longridge one. I want to do a marathon next year, either Dublin or Belfast, not sure which yet.

• PAUL GARDNER 16 wrote (see)

From Yorkshire originally but got lost on wrong side of border and now live in Morecambe....Ironholgs, to take a quote from your Bloody fantastic book "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" I'm on here.....

It inspired me to push further and compete/complete something I have wanted to do since finishing playing Rugby League and so I entered the Cartmel 18k trail race in March in a build up to the Coniston Trail Marathon and eventually in 2014 I want to complete the Lakeland50 before my 39 birthday (didnt inspire me enough to go for the Lakeland100 for 2014 though !!!!!!)

Hi Paul, thanks for your kind praise, and I get the blame for a lot of things these days image

If you fancy some interval training I run the COLT running group on a wednesday night, meet at Salt Ayre at 7pm.  Watch out for black ice round Quornmore this weekend, bad there this morning on the bike

Bet the canal was overflowing in places yesterday, I ran home last night along the A6 and it was more of an open water swim.. Love running round Glasson though and round there. We are lucky to live in a county with some amazing running routes.

Ahh the book.....I wasn't going to mention it but here's a link to

Book One and the sequel which is out in a couple of weeks.

• Ironholgs! You wrote that book, its on my Amazon wish list lol Wow very impressive and well done sir. Guess i will bug you when i finally get the courage to do a tri lol

Ah Lancaster people. Ive got to go Moor Lane Mills LA1 1QD on Monday, but word is parking can be tricky there. Whats the best alternative near by parking options if there are no space. ?

• Thanks - happy to offer advice anytime.

You'll be fine - about 4 or 5 car parks just off moor lane, all within about 300m of the mill building.

Google Map the postcode and you'll see the car parks on Bulk Street and Edward Street ( that one is NEVER full )

• Thought I'd best join this thread as another Lancashire runner (albeit a very South Lancs one). I'm pretty regular at Preston parkrun and have done Pennington Flash too. This has been my first full year of running, having only started in August 2011, but I managed 3 10ks and the Guild HM.

I've not thought too much about events for next year except for the MadDog 10k in Southport at the beginning of February. I'd like to do another HM in the spring but not picked one yet so any recommendations welcome!  

• Ironholgs wrote (see)
    PAUL GARDNER 16 wrote (see)

From Yorkshire originally but got lost on wrong side of border and now live in Morecambe....Ironholgs, to take a quote from your Bloody fantastic book "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" I'm on here.....

Hi Paul, thanks for your kind praise, and I get the blame for a lot of things these days

If you fancy some interval training I run the COLT running group on a wednesday night, meet at Salt Ayre at 7pm.  Watch out for black ice round Quornmore this weekend, bad there this morning on the bike

Bet the canal was overflowing in places yesterday, I ran home last night along the A6 and it was more of an open water swim.. Love running round Glasson though and round there. We are lucky to live in a county with some amazing running routes.

Ahh the book.....I wasn't going to mention it but here's a link to

Book One and the sequel which is out in a couple of weeks.

Firstly my apologises Ironholgs for mentioning the book, but you deserve the praise and looking forward to the second book. And thanks for the invite. I checked out COLT last year with a view to trying triathlon as I have been road cycling for years (my dad is a mad keen tour de france man) but my job would make serious training near impossible. I get called away to work abroad and the length of time I am away varies from days to weeks/months as does the time I'm at home. The upside is when I am at home my time is my own so plenty of time to spend with family, my little boy and train, but when away.....you wouldn't want to run in some of the places I go! only run away image and finding a swimming pool to practice in...........the best I could hope for would be a sewerage ditch whilst I'm face down in it. So thats why I opted for the trail runs and ultra's. Most places I can run easily enough and dont need to take much kit. I tend to train during day but after Xmas It would be good to meet up and run with the COLTs (Maybe not the 5-6 min Usain Bolt crew though image)

Canal was not too bad Thursday except for hissing swan's and rain was heavy, did reps of mile at pace with 2mins rest (1 min jog/1 min exercise) x4 reps. Fastest was 6.51 min mile and each was a little slower so I have much work to do on speed. I did a reccy on Bowland today it was bleak, cold and snow capped hills made it uninviting.....role on Sunday image

• well to the forum Lou, all new additions are welcome and your certainly in lancashire were you are!

Do the Freckleton HM your love it!!!

That a good mile rep pace Paul keep that up and your be fine. Bowland sounds quite nice with its snow, although cold i bet! And there is nothing like running in heavy rain to make you think what the hell am i doing lol but i guess thats what makes you a runner hey!

• SJPC14 wrote (see)

well to the forum Lou, all new additions are welcome and your certainly in lancashire were you are!

Do the Freckleton HM your love it!!! 

I would do it, but I have 4 exams the week after so don't think I can juggle training and revision in May/June! That's why I'd prefer an April one. The Blackpool one looks the best bet so far for me dates-wise, but I've heard it's quite boring. Or the Liverpool HM in mid-March- has anyone done it?

Hope Longridge went well today for those who did it.