Royal Baby

Comments

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

I'm just holding out for a public holiday when it's born...image

Chance would be a fine thing.

• Awwwww.

I'm a republican arsehole. I think that sounds quite nice. Sounds better than a scrounger off the state in my arseholey opinion.

Hope she stops vomiting soon. Not least so that we don't have to foot the hospital bill.
  • such a lot of bitter republicans image

i think it's great that there's going to be a new heir to the throne

• Muttley wrote (see)

Pleased to hear of the pregnancy, I wish them well but I don't want to hear anything more about it until the birth, thank you.

Maybe even better till after the birth, don't want to hear all the details.

Anyway, I wish them well, hope everything will go well. So much can still happen.

• Bitter? I just think we are all equal. And we should all have equal opportunity. Does that make me bitter or just nice?
  • i don't think republicans are bitter. i think you are all lovely image

• a lot of you have expressed a disinterest in news ofnthe royal baby and various criticisms of the monarchy, and it is difficult to argue against any of them. republicans are right.

the royal family makes no sense. it is anachronistic, undemocratic and I can see why such heridatory opulence based on an accident of birth is at best puzzling and at worst offensive to many. not only that, a voyeuristic interest in a family with no connection to my own is almost certainly unhealthy. it says much about the lack of meaning in my own life.

and yet I still quite like them.

the fact that it doesn't make sense to have this random bunch of toffs as our head of state sort of does make sense in our silly, lovely country. at least to me, at any rate.

• they are a ceremonial head of state and are apolitical with less of a vested interest than a president would ever have

there are equal opportunities in this country.

• Yes there are. Just some are more equal than others.

And, I'm going to have to do my self assessment tax form shortly. So I *might* become bitter then.
  • Too Much Water wrote (see)

there are equal opportunities in this country.

Really? Who told you that then? image

I quite like the Irish system. You have a ceremonial head of state who does all the ceremonial stuff for a few years while leaving the politics to the politicians, and then goes off and gets a plum job in the EU or somewhere like that ... a good way of raising your profile and gaining influence imho.

But the republican argument is never going to get any traction while Mrs Windsor is still on the throne. Can't fault her, regardless of what one might think of the system or some of the members of her family.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

hoax call had tragic consequences:

Duchess of Cambridge hoax call nurse found dead

A nurse at London's King Edward VII hospital who took a hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge has been found dead, the BBC understands.

Police were called at 09:35 GMT to reports of a woman found unconscious at an address in central London.

The hospital is expected to make a statement. Her family have been told.

• Holy fuck, quite simply the most shocking outcome ever, poor girl.

• Very sad but is that not a massive overreaction by any stretch of the imagination? image

• Scotland Yard said the death was being treated as unexplained and enquiries were continuing.

Bizarre, but hardly a "consequence" unless there's a more up to date news source?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

you are right. i am sure it is all just a bizarre coincidence and totally unrelated. image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • skotty wrote (see)

you are right. i am sure it is all just a bizarre coincidence and totally unrelated. image

Well who the fuck knows either way till an explanation comes out?  But no, conjecture about someone's untimely demise is much more fun.

• Hmmm, well I can imagine someone who was already depressed feeling pretty bad about this.   Maybe she felt that she'd been made to look like a complete idiot in front of the world - not going to be great for self esteem is it ?  

Who knows how many people have topped themselves after a heated discussion in Clubhouse - it's certainly quieter around here these days - KK has a lot to answer for.   

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    skotty wrote (see)

Well who the fuck knows either way till an explanation comes out?  But no, conjecture about someone's untimely demise is much more fun.

i don't think anyone was having fun or speculating about her demise.

seems quite clear from the initial reports unless you want to convince us otherwise.

"

Dr Peter Carter, chief executive and general secretary of the Royal College of Nursing, said: "This is tragic news, and the thoughts of all at the Royal College of Nursing go to the family of Jacintha Saldanha.

"It is deeply saddening that a simple human error due to a cruel hoax could lead to the death of a dedicated and caring member of the nursing profession."

• All very tragic and odd. But I don't think the hoax was cruel.

Certainly seems an extreme reaction to the hoax. There are clearly things that we don't know.

The hospital said it had been "supporting her through this difficult time", which seems to hint at something going on that they don't wish to expand on for whatever reason.

• the hoax in itself wasn't cruel.these have been done through every decade...........noel edmonds did them every week.......

its sad that she got caught out forgetting what she was suppossed to be doing..........but she hadn't even been suspended for it...so i presume that there has to be other underlying factors.....

its very sad...but she was not forced divulge personal information to a complete stranger

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

she didn't.

she passed the call onto someone else who divulged personal information to a complete stranger.

• ok.didn't realise that.not sure why it could be connected then........

• skotty wrote (see)

"It is deeply saddening that a simple human error due to a cruel hoax could lead to the death of a dedicated and caring member of the nursing profession."

Fair dos.  Didn't see that bit.

Slighly bizarre and tragic circumstances then, and I guess the prank caller won't really deserve to feel quite as guilty or demonised as they no doubt will, although I've never been a big fan of the hoax / prank / practical joke genre, and generally think those involved at least deserve a punch in the face.  Especially Noel Edmonds.

• If an experienced nurse was working on reception it suggests there was something else going on in her life.  Its not for us to say what is or isn't an over reaction without knowing the full story. Its very sad.

I'm not a fan of the prank genre either. +1 for punching Noel Edmonds. 

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

If an experienced nurse was working on reception it suggests there was something else going on in her life.  

she wasn't working on reception. it was 5:30AM so there was no reception. she was the unlucky one who picked up the phone.

I hear there are lots of calls for the DJs to be sacked. I disagree with this - if they have an ounce of decency they will resign.

• don't see why on earth they should resign........she wasn't the unlucky one.it was the one who took the call off her and forgot the rules about confidentiality.......

blaming her for passing on the call is like blaming the satelite for passing on the call......

if we call for their resignation then we need to stop every tv program that works with pranks or jokes .......also manybe all comedy programmes as they might make a joke that offends someone....and maybe all the police programmes as showing crimes might make someone kill themselves as they are screed of going out.

it is unfortunate but you cannot blame them if she decided to take her own life

• The user and all related content has been deleted.