At what point can you say you are really a runner?

2»

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    .... I think it was when I got my first black toe nail !
  • For me it was when I completed the 10k run at the end of my beginner's running programme. It felt like I'd gone from someone who could run, but found it difficult to someone who could 'just run'. Suddenly I felt like I was part of the group of runners who I was passing up and down the coast every few days.

A year on, and I see that people who are just starting out are just as much a runner as I am with my first marathon under my belt - guess it changes with time and perspective? The thing that I suspect is different between 'runners' and 'not runners' is that runners want to be running, and do. Time, distance and pace are all relative.

• Sofaboy wrote (see)

.... i have a mate who runs 5km on a treadmill in his garage every evening but virtually never bothers running outside. for him it's purely an easy way to keep fit that doesn't take up much time and when he's not doing it he never really thinks about it. he doesn't consider himself a Runner.

although judging by the amount of time he seems to spend looking at bikes on ebay, he is definitely a Biker. lol....

Maybe being a biker he doesn't want people to think he's also healthy, when I was into bikes it was all about drugs, drink and loud music, anyone who cared about their body was deemed to be a bit gay...

Feral wrote (see)
    gemgemx wrote (see)
    Having to do a poo mid run in the countryside...that was my defining moment.

Yup! I'm set up for an alfresco poo as I run with dogs.. so I always carry poop bags, antibac hand gel and some tissues.. who would know what's in the bag? Hi viz clothing is a hindrance too when you're crouched by a hedge!

Heading out for a run in a thunder and lightening storm was my defining moment.

You pick up your own poo when you go behind a hedge in the country, really??!?! I've never heard of anyone doing that before?!

• lardarse wrote (see)
    Sofaboy wrote (see)

.... i have a mate who runs 5km on a treadmill in his garage every evening but virtually never bothers running outside. for him it's purely an easy way to keep fit that doesn't take up much time and when he's not doing it he never really thinks about it. he doesn't consider himself a Runner.

although judging by the amount of time he seems to spend looking at bikes on ebay, he is definitely a Biker. lol....

Maybe being a biker he doesn't want people to think he's also healthy, when I was into bikes it was all about drugs, drink and loud music, anyone who cared about their body was deemed to be a bit gay...

Feral wrote (see)
    gemgemx wrote (see)
    Having to do a poo mid run in the countryside...that was my defining moment.

Yup! I'm set up for an alfresco poo as I run with dogs.. so I always carry poop bags, antibac hand gel and some tissues.. who would know what's in the bag? Hi viz clothing is a hindrance too when you're crouched by a hedge!

Heading out for a run in a thunder and lightening storm was my defining moment.

You pick up your own poo when you go behind a hedge in the country, really??!?! I've never heard of anyone doing that before?!

lardarse wrote (see)
    Sofaboy wrote (see)

oh no, he's a real "my body is a temple" kind of guy.

• Ship-star wrote (see)

Sub 90 half, Sub 40 10k, Sub20 5k.

Anything slower is jogging. image

These are my targets atm. However, has Usain Bolt ever run a HM? doea that mean he's not a runner?

• When your not walking, jogging or sprinting..........image

• In my mind, if you make an effort to go out for a run regularly then you are runner!

I have been a runner for just over a year and am disappointed that I didn't discover it sooner in my life! I am totally hooked and will be a runner for life!

• I felt like a proper runner last week when I put on a pair of normal socks when dressing and caught myself looking for the L & R on them! image

• when your mood is defined by how the weeks running has gone.. 'the difference between a jogger and a runner is that a jogger still has control of his life' sums running up entirely!

• Super moo

a good question -

• when you can actually run. Also, looking like a runner helps.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    How do you know when you look like one?
  • Because you have yellow bright coloured trainers.