Foam Roller

Hi All,

Ive slowly been getting myself back into shape following an ongoing injury.  The good news is Im on the mend.  I have been thinking about buying a Foam Roller has weekly Sports Massages are too expensive.  Are these any good and what do I need to look for when buying one?  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Sandeep

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    In my opinion the foam roller works very well, I was initially skeptical but now I use it every rest day at least.

I have only used one type so can't comment on which is best without it being "the one I have is best"
  • I just have a cheapo £10 one. Love it for rolling calfs and quads, and cracking out my back. Plus a great head cushion for watching the telly whilst lying on the living room floor when you've finished.

• yes, i have found one very useful, i just bought the cheapest one i could off Amazon.

• Thanks very much guys, I will just get a cheap one too and see how it goes.

• My green Reebok roller was instrumental in sorting a debilitating IT band injury and I have found that it works great on tight ham strings too. Also good on calves and quads.

I recommend them!
  • Yes highly recommended but there is not much you can do to a roller to add value the value is in the way you work it, so cheaper is better, under a tenner off Amazon

• I recommend long ones to patients, the 1m length. Then you can use them for more things like core work. The harder the roller the better!
  • I've been using one since July and its brilliant for my calves and helping with an Achilles niggle. I should use it every day and its supposed to be good for a warm up too
  • On the advise of my physio I bought one today from Up and Running in Birminghamon. It's stamped Fitness-Mad and feels pretty hard.

Will see how it goes and report back.
  • Thanks very much everyone, will be buying one tomorrow!

• Good advice on here I have had trouble with calf cramps and tight hamstrings

so have ordered a foam roller to be delivered tomorrow I hope it solves the problem as its very frustrating not being able to run........

• I do rate them. Paid a bit more for mine - called '66FIT ELITE FOAM ROLLER' 15cmx90cm from fleabay. I will say this though - go easy with it until you know what muscles you are working on and the effects it will have. I worked on my glutes and was getting into the piriformis area - I think I may've aggravated a nerve and it's quite possible (just like with regular massage) to "over treat" an area.

• Can anyone tell me if a bog standard foam roller will do or is a grid one better? Fed up with ITBS  now so gonna start rolling with it...

• Depends how much you want to spend. The grip ones e.g. triggerpoint are better, because as they have a plstic core they don't become misshapen over time. However, they are 4x the price of straightforward foam ones, so judge how much you will use it, over what period, and thus how often you might have to replace a foam one.

• Hi I have just bought a foam roller as have really tight calf muscles and have been having pain just below my left calf which has stopped me running as pain comes on about 2 miles into run. So after doing all RICE stuff and having an enforced rest ( which is killing me! ) I have bought roller to try and loosen calves. Can you just do it daily without exercising whilst resting my calves or should I wait till back running and how long would you recommend doing it for each time? Thanks any suggestions welcome
  • Netty, I hope this relates - not the same injury, but I bought mine for an IT band injury on the reccomendation of my physio, used it every day along with some stretches reccomended to help too, and didn't run during my recovery period. I have to say I think it worked wonders, I had done all sorts before and my injury just kept coming backworse even after months of no running. Combo of physio and foam rolling fixed it, in a relatively short time, and even though I havent kept up the rolling since (although I know I should) my knee feels stronger than ever

• dancing in spikes wrote (see)

Depends how much you want to spend. The grip ones e.g. triggerpoint are better, because as they have a plstic core they don't become misshapen over time. However, they are 4x the price of straightforward foam ones, so judge how much you will use it, over what period, and thus how often you might have to replace a foam one.

My cheap roller has taken months of use and abuse without showing any sign of wearing down or changing shape or firmness. Brand is Fit66, bought from Amazon, cost less than £20 including delivery charge. I'm very glad I didn't spend more on the dearer ones like the grid, cause I don't think they could be any better than my cheap one.

On the other hand, there are a couple of cheap blue foam rollers at my gym, and they're so worn out it's like rolling over a big marshmallow. Bloody useless!

• I have a cheap one, but have just bought a triggerpoint one too - mainly as it is hollow and so I should be able to take it when I travel.

I find it really useful for upper legs and back, but less so for my calves. I use a small ball under them to get more pressure. I have a spiky plastic one, but actually fins a tennis ball does the job as well.

• Are they any good for hamstring injuries?
  • Yes SR. Basically they are good for any muscle/ tendon you can underneath it and apply to.

• Sorry SR, I think the forum glitched my reply!image

Should read "any muscle/ tendon that you can put it underneath and apply pressure to"

• I have the shorter orange 'grid' and it's ace. ie it really hurts. =) I think it's good value too because, as said earlier, it has a tough plastic core so won't change shape or soften. I kind of need to roller for life, I think, so it's worth it for me. Not cheap though. I dread to think how much the long one would be! Hope it goes well for you.

• Happened on this thread, great advice everyone I've been looking to get a roller for a while, now I know where to start looking!
  • <div>Hi all, </div><div>I have just been reading this thread, as I previously was unsure on how to foam roller correctly too. I read this blog about foam rolling online and I learnt loads from it, so I thought I’d share it with you so hopefully you can benefit from reading it too! It was on the www.choicephysio.co.uk website... I’ve put the link below:</div><div> 
    www.choicephysio.co.uk/single-post/FoamRoller</div><div>
    </div><div>Hope that helps!</div><div>
    </div><div>Geoff </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>