"Why do parents let their kids get fat?"

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)
    Big_G wrote (see)
    T.mouse wrote (see)

French healthier / thinner?

I don't think so. Having spent some time in France this summer, the beach was littered with basking whales. Not very many slim bodies there.

Maybe you were just unlucky at the beach you chose image.  

I think it's fairly well accepted that the French have a much lower level of obesity compared to most other developed countries.  A quick Google seems to confirm that.

it was probably full of Brits.

image  I was going to say similar, but decided not to.  I wouldn't say the people at the French beaches I was at this year could be described as whales...  I was taking an active interest, just for my own investigation into this area you understand.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

The answer is simple my friends, look through the window of a typical French pattiserie and look through the window of Greggs.

I rest my case.

at the women?

or at the food they sell?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

KK - I know you jest, but I think there is more to it than that.  I just wish I knew exactly what it was!

A week or so ago, a friend of mine who is married to a French lady posted this on fb, so I thought I'd share it here.

• When I was at school. Most of us were rake thin, apart from a couple in the class - one quite fat, and still is now. The rest of us were good at sports, one way or another, but the thinnest were in the cross country team.

Seeing kids today, they are definately bigger than in the post, there are still thin, but not as much. In the club, some of the lads are either really thin, or quite a bit bigger - a extreme difference, where normal size was lean/thin. 

• My son is 18 & 5'9 tall. He's not what I would call skinny but he's very seriously slim & slinky & has an absolutely gorgeous figure! 

He has never ever been the slightest bit over weight. His biological dad is 5'10 & slim but not slinky. I'm 5'1 & about 12 stone so I thank heavens he inherited his dad's good looks!

I have, therefore, no idea why parents let their kids become obese but I would say that generations change, the attitudes our grandparents had towards food was totally different to now. They ate what they could when they could as they had no idea when the next meal was coming but in this day & age there's so much takeaway stuff & fattening stuff. Some parents do a brilliant job of trying to control their kids weight but they can't watch them 24/7/365.

• My dad is 6ft 1, quite slim for his age. Must've worked, as he's nearly 70 and holds both a PPL licence for fixed wing and rotary. Proving that good weight management helps in later life. (Also a clue as his eyesight is 20/10  - more than enough to satisfy the CAA).

I'm slightly taller (probably he was, but we shrink in age, anyway. ) at 6ft 3 and below 10st. 

However, someone at work eats loads of junk foods, and is skinny, really skinny. He wants to be bigger, but keeps the same. That's how it goes.

• What i've seen from some parents has often left me bemused and angry.

Feeding children takeaway food or processed junk has just become normal.  Kids expect to go and eat in KFC and McDonalds as if it's just what kids do, it's almost seen as a right.  When I was a kid, we never got taken to these places and it never bothered us.  Once every month or so we got a proper fish and chips and that felt like a special and very indulgent treat.  I know parents that don't use these places as treats at all, they use them as a substitute for them having to be arsed to cook.  I know a child of 5, from a nice middle-class couple with plenty of spare cash, who feed their child fast food 4 or 5 times a week, every week.  That's not a special treat for the child any longer, it's actually just his diet now.  It's weird and it's totally wrong.

What we put in our bodies is about the most important thing we do on a daily basis.  To allow and even promote that your child should be fed this junk I find maddening and not only from the point of view of their size.  it's about their overall health during their most important years of development.

Kids are fat mainly because their parents don't feed them properly, there isn't some complex question that needs answering here.

• I'll counter with why do people think parents "let" thier kids get fat?

We're told never to put kids on a diet as that can set them up for having food issues their whole life, we're told to foucs on being a healthy family etc which we do.

But as a Mum to 2 boys who have at times been over and under a healthy weight I like to point out it's a bloody difficult thing to sort out. Especially with them being at school etc and being a working Mum I'm not home when they get home from school,  there's the days they're at their Dads etc.

Then they're the fact they're not adults and are still growing , one son fills out then gets taller , the other gets taller then fills into that frame.

I will say the most grief I get from other people is about the one who by NHS kids standards is bang middle of healthy weight but spends his life being told he's under weight anorexic and skinny. 

Why is OK to call some one anorexic?  He's even had teachers call him over an give him a talk. image 

Thankfully they're both healthy, fit and well and when not ina growth spurt they're both a good weight, just in different weighs. All puns intended. image

• AliBear30 wrote (see)

I'll counter with why do people think parents "let" thier kids get fat?

We're told never to put kids on a diet as that can set them up for having food issues their whole life, we're told to foucs on being a healthy family etc which we do.

But as a Mum to 2 boys who have at times been over and under a healthy weight I like to point out it's a bloody difficult thing to sort out. Especially with them being at school etc and being a working Mum I'm not home when they get home from school,  there's the days they're at their Dads etc.

Then they're the fact they're not adults and are still growing , one son fills out then gets taller , the other gets taller then fills into that frame.

I will say the most grief I get from other people is about the one who by NHS kids standards is bang middle of healthy weight but spends his life being told he's under weight anorexic and skinny. 

Why is OK to call some one anorexic?  He's even had teachers call him over an give him a talk. image 

Thankfully they're both healthy, fit and well and when not ina growth spurt they're both a good weight, just in different weighs. All puns intended. image

I can understand all that but surely your sons just got podgy?  Surely they didn't become obese and then grow it all out?  that doesn't sound plausible or normal at all. 

I think it's the really fat kids that shock us, not the ones who are just carrying a bit of extra timbre. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I think it's the really fat kids that shock us, not the ones who are just carrying a bit of extra timbre. 

Doesn't sound right to me that!

🙂

• I always carry a bit of extra timber - you never know when you're going to need to board up a shop window. 

• image  At least my typos are tuneful typos!

• Nutritionists recommend 1800 cals for kids, but probably a healthy level should be below that, such as 1500. Ideally its better to be underweight, lean and sinewy, than a flabby mess, being useless at sports and general coolness.

Fat kids at school always got picked on. Us skinny lot just got through life, being good at sports, able to do anything and having lean bodies for the girls to oogle.

• killermiles.iwhy do you think that you know beter than the experts.......have you looked at the amount anorexia costs the country each year..... and its people that tell normal size kids that they are fat that help to contribute to that......to be able to count all your ribs isn't the best shape.....or the healthiest whatever you might think

• Killermiles, being underweight does not mean general coolness.

• Underweight doesn't mean anorexia. That is going further than that. The balance is between podgy to athletic ability, either muscler or lean athletic. 

• fat doesn't mean overweight and unhealthy........you get very under weight and very overweight.both of these are unhealthy and usually come from a bad relationship with food and the persons view of their own body.......

you have suggested that for kids that continually eating 300 claories a day less than they need is the best solution to all lifes problems......

you say you have a body for girls to oogle at............when you posted a picture of yourself here once I can not remmeber a single female think that it was an attractive look.....

• Why does this have to do with me? I am well and fine, thanks. Looks like this thread is contradicting itself - which is what the problem is in the first place.

• new people or young impressionable people reading this thread might not know about killers history and so might read what he says and think that is the right way........people are just trying to put a balance to his ideas......