RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Oompa Jantastic is very motivating if you're in a team. Mainly because we will remind you that it's definitely not a competition if you start to falter and because it's all about the taking part, it's nice to hear our name read out as leaders every week, just to check we've been taking part correctly of course. image Although the good thing about the scoring is that for large teams like ours a couple of people dropping off the bottom doesn't effect it.

Welcome Sarah. Have you got any halves booked in before VLM?

Eight miles tonight. I still need to add another running a day a week, but the past week has been the first time that I haven't thought Brighton is a daft idea.

Carrot I'm very jealous of all your gigs.

AA that's horrible. Do you know any details about time of day etc?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Another nice one Weelbe. image

10 miles for me including the killer session that started with 2 miles 7:06 and gradually cut down to 0.25m @ 6:15.  I was out with the club and we all warmed up together but then only two others did the killer bit with me.  Both men, one slightly faster the other slightly slower, which was ideal.  They both enjoyed (well you know, hated it really but enjoyed the feeling when it was finished) and it was great to do a session like this with others. 

They both was more on a Tuesday night so that's good news for me.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Jantastic

The team is Team Minni.

• Nice summary Sarah. You're nearly identical 10k, half & marathon times to where I was to go sub 3:30 this year on my 2nd marathon (here) so well within your range, very doable.

I'm doing VLM also, but not GFA, that's a pesky sub 3:10 for us men. Although 2old and I think Spoons have done that on here? That's my target for the future.

Other thing, some forum names are changed just for Xmas... So Oompa is HHH and so on... So could get a bit confusing when you try and work out who AA or Chic or others are.

Very wet & cold along the sea front tonight. 4 mile warm up to club with backpack then 6.5 mile fartlek, all sub 6mm pace. Still with the top group at moment, a good 12-14 of us tonight even in the rain. Brrr. Now sat in front of a lovely toasty wood burning stove. Off to look for some marshmallows...
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bugger that's not working. 

www.marathontalk.com

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  We always change our names at Christmas.  Its just what we do here. 

For some reason mine won't change to my usual name.  image

• So that was my birthday - another non event.  Started with an e-mail at 7.30am [yes I was at my desk] asking me to cover three hours of tutorials for a woman whose son was unwell.  This is the third time I have had to cover her for 'sick child syndrome' - she had better not want time off for some hideous nativity play, where said chile is the back end of a camel / wiseman etc image

The day just went downhill from there, although we did get a reasonable run in after freezing to death on the bikes on both legs of the commute.  Had to make my own birthday dinner [decided against the option of BA heating up a tin of beans in the microwave] and share my present - chocolate buttons.  Despite ploughing my way through the lot I failed to find the hidden diamond image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh O4S happy birthday! We should have come down and surprised you x
  • Minni- brilliant sessionimage

O4S- happy birthday!!! Or what's left of it...sorry to hear it wasn't the best day.
  • O4S - Happy Birthday, glad you enjoyed your choccies. Please stop getting older, you just make us look like crapper runners!

FRC - I've got a HH half zip high neck freeze top, which has some merino wool in it for some warmth aswell, soooooooo soft and warm. Probably too hot for normal running, but ideal for ultras.

Sarah - Well done in getting thru to the short list. I got thru to bootcamp last year, but didn't get shortlisted. The 5k track sess with Steve straight after lunch was a killer. I'm doing Manchester which is the week after VLM.
  • Thanks Minnie, I will certainly have a look at the Forum 6 if I don't get through as it will be nice to have some encouragement and guidance and interact with other runners. I'm getting a bit nervous now about starting a thread and my 150 words going live! I love to set myself challenges so jantastic sounds right up my street.

I forgot about men's GFA being so much more difficult than ours.

Spoons, I've gotta agree I really didn't enjoy VLM this year. The first 16 miles was fun but the last 10.2 (especially the last 4.2) almost destroyed me. I said I would never do a marathon again for two weeks, but now I'm up for the challenge again, if I get all my training in this time (and follow the coaching advice, whether I get through to Paris or not) and eat lots of jelly babies I will have a better experience I'm sure. What marathons have you enjoyed to run?

Hi weeble, so far I have the brass monkey in jan and a half in Barcelona in feb booked, can you recommend any other halfs or races to help prepare for an April marathon?

Thank you fit-running-cat, it's nice to know that I'm not being unrealistic in my aims, I do hope your right. I think it's so mean that men have a good for age aim of sub 3:10 it almost sounds impossible! Thank you for the heads up with the names, I've got to say I've met so many people on here over the last few days its difficult to remember whose who, especially with not everyone having a profile pic (including me but hopefully that's on the way) but I'm sure I will get there.

Happy birthday old 4scrooge. I'm sorry to hear about your horrendous day.....I just hope that your diamond is out there somewhere and you find it soon.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Hi All , I'm back and it looks like I've missed a lot . It's going to take me a while to get through everything so apologies for beeing brief now.Good to see excitement building for next years marathons and other racing and welcome to Sarah , sub 3.30 looks certain for you.

DD- looking good for that marathon and your target could be conservative . At least you won't have puncture then

SS- enjoying your sparring with Minni . My GFA is sub 3.15 cos I'm old. Still I have gone sub 3.10 too. It's there for you if you want it at VLM

Lots of great running in awful conditions gone on by everyone - even in snow and on ice - whats that all about-which thankfully I have missed up to now.

Minni- hope you are ok after your fall and good to see you marshalling the troops here for Jantastic. Not sure what to do about it so will need to see what I can do.

I've also got to deal with my OH whose worried about the report that marathons are bad for your health

Maybe I should be called ' 2Old For Xmas' but does that mean I'm pro or anti?

Managed 40 miles r???ing last week (133for the month)and 8k plus swims and massages and other bits and bobs. Only prob is my calf still isn't right - infact its pretty bad-so with VLM training in mind I'm going to rest - properly !!!- this week .
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sarah - I'm doing Brass Monkey and also the Northumberland half in March, which might suit you too?
  • Sarah -  3:30 very doable with your 10k and HM times. 4 years running for me,  VLM which will be my ninth mara and Berlin for me next year, managed to get a ballot place for London as still trying to get that illusive sub 3:15. Good luck with the Asics place. 

Weeble - Building up very nicely, how many times a week are you running?

Minni -  Nice pacy session.

O4S -  happy birthday.

2old -  Welcome back, how bad is the calf, are you running through the pain?

• Hi SSC, thank you. I had my 5k session after lunch aswell, I decided just to eat a few jelly babies for my lunch, and pocketed some sandwiches and fruit for afterwards. I've only been sick once on a run.....didn't fancy doing it again on Friday at the side of the track!

Congratulations on getting into the brass monkey. I was one of the people who paid via paypal so I didn't get a confirmation for ages. Three weeks later I also got told that I shouldn't be running it with just joining Knavesmire as second claim, but luckily I've been let off as no one had told me before I had entered. I will have a look at the Northumberland half thank you. I did the Northumberland Coastal run this year and loved it.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ah The Coastal is one of mine too but missed it this year. It'll be an A race for me next year. In second claim with the club that organises it but will be running for my first claim club.

I did the PayPal for BM too then panicked when I didn't get confirmation so paid again with card. They refunded my PayPal.
  • Alright all. Been down the pub after my intervals for some team minni stylee recovery. Pretty pleased with the outcome of the session. 5 x 1000m with 2min intervals: 3:51, 3:52, 3:53, 3:54, 3:53. Surely sub 20 is on for Saturday week. Bring it on.

Happy birthday O4S, hi Sarah.

Over & out

• Sarah - I presume you must of done a good 5k time, if you've been shortlisted. I made the mistake of eating some lunch, and nearly puked. I guess you were in group 2, with 10k times 40-45mins. Don't forget it's not about picking the 5 fastest runners, it's the categories that count, so you've got just as good a chance as any of the others. Which one did you class yourself as?
  • I panicked enough after only paying once (mainly because I got up at 7am especially to enter it). Think I would have been terrible if I had paid for it twice. I've entered it under my first claim club so hopefully some of them won't notice! Think they said that they have an extra 250 runners doing it next yr due to the fault.

I loved the top we got at the end of the Coastal run. I will definatly look out for the entries to open again in the new year. You must have some fabulous training runs out that way?

I've just joined jantastic, team Minnie, I hope you don't mind?
  • I don't remember which category I went for, it was either PB or being busy, they said that we will find out tomorrow!

I got 20:28 I think, was the first 5k I had done and I thoroughly enjoyed it, think that's why I want to have a go at a park run now! I was in group 2, you've got a great memory!
  • Minni - I'm in Team Minni, with my usual high target of 3.

Sarah - Yes it was a great experience just to get to bootcamp. I just scraped into group 2 with a 44.42 10k. I believe this year you had to do a bit of a video, which stumped most people! Good luck for tomorrow. Btw you can call me Simon, cus just like the real Santa, I won't be Santa claus after Christmas.
  • Morning!

04S - happy belated birthday. Maybe you swallowed the diamond by mistake.

Sarah - as others have said - 3:30 sounds do-able.  Best road marathon is probably Abingdon or maybe New Forest but probably Abingdon. Most of my marathons are off road. Favourite is probably Belvoir Challenge or maybe Poppyline Marathon to support my local one. I've got Brighton and Wales Trail Marathons coming up next.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Great 5k time Sarah.

I'm having to split my 11 today since I won't be able to fit it in tonight so 7 miles banked this morning.
  • That's an early start minni image

Sarah - those PBs are perfect for a good go at sub 3.30. I should say I'll look forward to seeing you at the Green start, but if you get to Paris (fingers crossed!) would you attempt the double?

It's too early for Christmas forum names - I have 2 family birthdays this week to get out of the way (one down, one to go) before I can feel Christmassy....that's despite having finished all my christmas shopping and wrapped all my presentsimage

I'm not sure the leak is fixed yet - email from work says not so still unsure on hot water situation with the showers today. If they are still off I'll leave work early and go to the gym near home instead. Can't miss another day image
  • Morning. Thankyou Simon. I've got to say, I was dreadful on the camera, I couldn't even string a sentence together. What's worse is during my training I had to be videoed loads so you would think I would be use to it!

Spoons-my friends did belvoir last year and said how wonderful it was. I have t seen them lately to talk about it but fingers crossed I might do it in the new year-think I was told it was rather muddy and tough last year!

Minni, I'm really impressed, that's dedication! I did some speed training last night so I think I will be having a rest day today. I may have tried to squeeze a little run in but with everything going live today I may just be setting up my thread after work!

Freemers, Im not sure what I would do, if I'm lucky enough to get through I think I would still try and do London but take it much more steady and maybe carry a bucket around for charity and wear fancy dress. My other option would be to defer it until the following year but I think that will be difficult going down with some of my friends and just watching. I think I would see how the legs feel in the two weeks between- what would you do?
  • Morning

Welcome to Sarah, yes a 3-30 is very doable for you, copy whatever Minni does and you will be fine! Anything is possible with hard work.

2Old: Yep I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what my MP actually is at the moment cos it keeps getting quicker, after years of being in roughly the same pace band I seem to have suddenly found a extra gear which wasn't there before. Will keep racing and see what the results tell me.

Off for a 2K splash in a minute and then 90 mins on the bike tonight. I'm with Freemers way too early for xmas names.

I won't be joining Team Minni in Jantastic this year as with a marathon on the  25th Jan and then the training required for JOGLE I can't see me spending too much time running February onwards.

• Welcome Sarah and good luck today.

Minni - that's an early 7 miles banked.

O4S - happy belated birthday for yesterday.

Welcome back 2old.

DD - surely you gotta go sub 3:15???

Heavy snow storm this morning walking the dogs but its already clearing.
  • Spoons:  This was a present from BA, no diamond hidden, digested or otherwise

Freemers: normally I would agree with you about Christmas Forum names, but I am already in full Scrooge mode as cards start to arrive, Christmas parties happen [without me] etc.  I think it is probably that the University term ends mid December so Christmas gets pushed earlier than elsewhere.

Have just remembered we are entered in a half marathon this Sunday - what was I thinking?????

Still cold cycling in to work but OK for running after the first mile or so - sleet forecast for here image

• Ant - Nice quick repeats, sub 20 wil be yours.

Target logged for Jantastic and I have appeared on Team Minni. image

6 miles early this morning, daughter early morning swimming and she thinks I'm mad, and very cold, bit of rain but no snow.  Felt OK came out at 7:45 avg.