Smoking before a Parkrun

2»

Comments

• "

"willpower will get you nowwhere"

what a load of bollocks

I know a few people who have given up after reading Allen Carr's book, but I know a load more who have given up with nictotine patches etc.

2 years clear for me and that was willpower."

I'm really happy for you and the fact that you were able to quit on willpower alone shows what an exceptionel person you are.

But fact is that most people will fall back in the trap if they have no tools in their box.

• which ever way you choose you still require willpower............the books and patches and everything else may help..but its the will power that does it.........

so to say willpower will get you nowhere is infact a crap statement......

lack of willpower might get you nowhereimageimage

• I kicked it last year without reading anybody's book.

• It might be easier to accept that people have different ways of overcoming an addiction.  My mate went from heavy smoker to non-smoker (one year and going strong) having been on an (intensive) Allen Carr course, and explained a few things to me about how it works.  I think I can understand where Ojisan is coming from because the impression I got was that for people who don't have great will power, it's still possible to give up using this method, as it gets you thinking about smoking and the reasons why you smoke, in a totally different way.  He hasn't spent the past year resisting urges to smoke; he has spent the past year not wanting to smoke.  Pretty big difference.

(To give you an idea about my mate and will power, his previous attempt at giving up was to try and read Allen Carr's book, but he didn't manage to get through it!)

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I gave up thirty years ago using just willpower, Ojisan.

It depends how much you want it.

• Trust me when i say that i am happy for all of you who have quit using pure willpower and patches, but statistics shows that only about 15% of patch users are smoke free after 6 months, and people who quits without counceling are very likely to start again. I am not here to start a flame war. My point is that anyone that quits smoking using only willpower WILL suffer enourmously and therefore is in great danger of falling back in the hole. My personal experience is no different. After many failed attempts, i managed to quit recently and never suffered for a second. I truly enjoyed the life as a non smoker from day one without any cravings whatsoever.
  • those attempting to give up smoking aren't helped by people telling them constantly how difficult it is. it gives them an easy out if they fail.

giving up heroin is difficult. solving the Israel/Palestine conflict is difficult. giving up smoking isn't.

• Quitting is so easy wirh the right tools. Its a mystery whi i had to waste 30 years.

Ffs. this is futile. Just read allen carrs book. Im out
  • hardly spam - the Allen Carr book is a very famous and successful book

• Too Much Water wrote (see)

hardly spam - the Allen Carr book is a very famous and successful book

Oh right, I thought that you meant that the comedian Alan Carr had written a stop smoking guide. image

Ooooh errr missus, put that fag down!"

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I found the Alan Carr book really helpful when I stopped smoking and I think what Ojisan is saying is that by believing you need willpower to give up smoking implies that smoking is something that you will be missing if you don't do it, whereas AC's main premise is that if you think of yourself of having freed yourself of something undesirable it is easier. Thinking 'yay, I no lomger have to stink, waste my money blah blah' rather than focussing on the 'giving up' cos that implies by not smoking you are being deprived.

Or something like that image
  •  

EKGO wrote (see)

As long as you don't smoke during the race I suppose it's no problem, each to his own

I can remember turning out in the 80s to support my dad running the Glasgow marathon and seeing dozens of blokes puffing away at about the 15 mile mark without breaking stride. A lot of them were in front of him and he was running 3:15 - 3:30.

the dude abides wrote (see)

giving up smoking is easy

Yeah, I've done it dozens of times. LOL! image

Do agree that telling everyone it's so hard to give up makes it very easy for folk to fail and not feel too bad about it. I've always suspected the 'harder to quit than heroin' thing was started by the big tobacco companies. Each time I stopped I just went cold turkey and didn't think about it after the first three days or so. Usually went back to it by drunkenly accepting an offered cigarette without thinking. The ban on smoking in pubs was probably what made me chuck it for good a few years ago...