Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks guys- had SUCH a good time at parkrun! Set a new PB which was still slower than I think I could do, but it was so nice to be running again! Didn't dare go flat out with the ice- didn't want to go flying image went out for a steady 5 miler today to blast away the hangover too!

Hope you enjoyed your long run Barbie image

Hope you enjoyed your XC race, Jelleybaby!

Happy to hear you're on the mend Stephen, I hope your recovery continues to go so well image

That is AMAZING Wordslinger! You have every right to be smug there image

Happy running everyone! We're all doing so well image

• Hope everyone's runs at the weekend went well.

It was great fun running round Bristol waterfront in Santa suits yesterday as a family.  I think even my son enjoyed it.

Well done Wordslinger.  What an achievement! 

Marathon training due to start on Christmas Day, but may well start earlier as I cant see me having much time at Christmas to run far.

• Thats brilliant Worsdslinger. Both in running terms and more impressively fund raising terms too !!

.....Only 139 miles to meet my target before year end  image

• Amazing achievement wordslinger. I can only dream of doing that, massive well done.

My bike ride on Sunday went well and my morning run today went well. Only 2.5miles very slow but it's a start of the recovery. See how shin splints feel tomorrow, hoping to get out for another bike ride followed by another very short run on Friday am.

Felt so good when I finished my run, didn't realise how much a stress relief running can be!!!
  • afternoon all

6 miles for me today have to say struggled all the way around ending up with splits raganeing from 9:05 to 11:05 so not the best run ever but got plenty of activity points out of it so there's a plus

Stephen great news about the bike ride and run

• /members/images/708155/Gallery/Family_of_Santas_1.jpg

A family of santas, me, toby3 and our children, William & snowmaiden.

• afternoon all

well 5 miles for me to day cold but sunny with a bit of a head wind heading out Brighton training starts in earnest next week so really must get out for some thing longer than a 6 mile run this week just to make shore i can still do it

• Poohbear - love the picture, and how fantastic to have the whole family running together!

Wordslinger - you can be as smug as you like for as long as you like with those achievements - wow!

Sarah and Stephen   - good to hear you are both on the mendimage

Its a bit icy out there today nearly slipped over a couple of times this afternoon, be careful out there.Going to Reykjavik for a few days this weekend, I may get out for a short run whilst I am there - going to need the long running tights I think.

Happy running everyone.

Charlotte

• In the spirit of good news related to injury started by Sarah and Stephen....

I saw the orthopaedic consultant yesterday.  My knee problem is thinning cartilage with a rough surface - just a common consequence of aging image.  No arthritis of other problems, and ITB okay.  There's no need for surgery, though I may need a cortisone injection at some time in the future.  I'm being referred for some physio, which I think will be to work on strengthening the quads and lift the kneecap (or something like that anyway image).

The consultant asked me if I did a lot of running and a sheepishly replied "yes".  He said "no problem, keep it up and keep the weight off" image.  Best of all, he confirmed that there is no problem with me training for a marathon - just ease of if I do get significant pain.

Overall, this is about as good as I could have hoped for.  I celebrated with a four mile progression run on the treadmill.  Now I can plan training with more confidence. image

• Happy days Tenjiso image over the moon for you!

Meanwhile, I ran on Monday with the guy from XC that I'm seeing and was persuaded to do 7 miles instead of 5... My ankle didn't enjoy this decision by the end of the run, so I'm back on a few days rest image

• Tenjiso - excellent news!

Sarah - oh dear, hopefully a bit of rest will sort it out.

• Thanks everyone.  I've just booked a 20 mile race, three weeks before Brighton (Oakley 20).  More to look forward to!

Sarah - sorry to see that.  It's so annoying when we grab an extra mile or two, or run faster than planned, and then pay back in spades with unscheduled rest.  We never learn, do we?

• Thanks Charlotte- I've got my fingers crossed image

And yes, Tenjiso- it's very annoying! I'm hopeful for a speedy recovery though image

• Tenjiso - great news!! You must be delighted.

Sarah Marsbar - hopefully a rest will be beneficial for you.

I enjoyed the XC - very muddy and slippery but lots of fun!

Just back from a 3 course so had to miss running to revise image, but back home now and aiming to do slow 10 tomorrow on the cliff paths - just hope they are not too slippery! Trail shoes out ready to go!

Poohbear and Co - lovely photo BTW!

• Well finally got out for that 10 mile run i been saying i must do no idea of the time as the Battery in my Garmin went flat just after i started i knew it was low as it had flashed up a warning when i turned it on but was hoping it would last

Doesn’t really matter as i had already decided to keep the pace slow any way and this paid off as i didn’t really struggle too much which was a surprise after yesterdays run well Brighton training kicks off officially next week so the runs will be getting longer

• Well done Toby3!

I did 10 miles slowly on the cliff paths - full of wet, muddy puddles, ankle deep squelchy mud and slippery rocks - only fell over once though! Blood to prove it as well!! image

Serious stuff starts next week......yikes!

• Evening all!

I've sat down tonight and looked up a plan for Brighton. Found a Hal Higdon one, 18 weeks which seems like a good idea - 2 weeks longer than this year's plan, so a slower buildup will hopefully mean less likelihood of getting injured this time! Trouble is, having worked out the dates, like Toby I see it starts tomorrow - EEKKKK! I might jump into week 2 actually, so that I have a week in hand if we go away at Easter next year.

Sounds like a good plan (I think!)

Jelleybaby - wow, blood and everything - hard core!

Sarah - rest that ankle!

Tenjiso - great news

Hope everyone else with injuries / niggles heals quickly, ready to start training properly!

• Thanks Jelleybaby and B&T.  

I can see the training is already starting to ramp-up for everybody.  I can't quite believe the time has already arrived to focus on the spring marathon!

I ran a marathon this week.  That is to say, I ran 26.22 miles in total for the week. Now all I need to do is that entire weeks running on one day next April image  I set-out to run 10 miles on Saturday, but ended up doing 12 instead.  It was just a great morning and I felt good, which makes up for the awful run a fortnight earlier. Yesterday I did an easy four miles.  

I don't have a cast-iron plan for the marathon.  I think I'm going to loosely follow the P&D schedule, with a few tweaks to fit my available time.  I like the focus of their plans and that they start on relatively higher mileage and longer runs than most other schedules I've looked at.  I'll see how things go, since it's easy to make changes during training.

This means that my marathon training program has officially started.  Right now.  With a rest day image

• Well done on such a good start to your training Tenjiso! Does it also include sitting down with a cup of tea? If it does, I'm switching to your plan immediately image

So I have officially started my Brightom Marathon training then, with the first run of week 2 (this is going to get confusing, I can tell!) Just 3 miles for me, so no problems there. It was cold this morning though, but I took a beautiful photo of the sun rising which made up for it. Another 3 tomorrow!

• Black And Tabby wrote (see)

Well done on such a good start to your training Tenjiso! Does it also include sitting down with a cup of tea? 

Only if the wife will bring it to me image

• Training plans already started, people running 10miles u lot r making me feel guilty.

Went out on Sunday for a 1hour bike ride as I continue the come back. Felt ok and pleased that I have managed 3bike rides and 2 short runs with no new niggles.

My plan starts in a couple of weeks, so I've got another easy week coming up starting tomorrow with a short/easy 3mile run.
  • My Brighton plan starts this week. It's an 18-week plan, with 3miles tomorrow, 5 Weds, 3 Thurs, 5 Sat and 10 Sunday. Bring it on!The only fly in the ointment is that I have to have an operation on my leg to remove a non-serious blood clot in January, which is going to impact on marathon training but hopefully won't put me out of action for too long!

• Hi everyone - good to hear that folk are already starting their training plans in earnest. I need to think if I am going to follow a plan properly or make it up as I go along still.....mmmmmmm

Todays run got me to 1903 miles for the year so far. If I average just over 5.5 miles a day until year end I should up on 2012 miles.   Being a Saddo I would quite like to do that !!image

• Afternoon all

well it was my first official training run for Brighton today my week 1 should have been 5 Tuesday 6 Wednesday 5 Thursday and 10 on Sunday but will do what i have done for the last couple of years and swap the days so the runs are done Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday with the two longest runs done on a Monday and Friday (MWLR done on a Monday and the LSR done on a Friday) were possible

so today was 6 miles for me which took just over an hour and looking back is about the same as last year at this point so looking good for those29 seconds

Words hope the op doesn’t impacted too much on the training

B&T well done on

• 3.5 miles done today on treadmill in 40 mins.  Managed to run continuously for 30 mins without having to walk!

Good basis for when training plan starts properly.

• You're getting faster poohbear! Nice one.