Vote Clive ASICS 26.2

I have had the privilege and honour to be selected for the public vote in the 'busy lifestyle' category. This is the start of my thread to let you quiz me, and hopefully persuade you to vote for me! I'm a 41 year old Scot living in Sheffield with my family (wife and 2 sons aged 6 & 8). I have only been running for the last 3 years, but like having kids it's hard to imagine life without it. I ran track when I was at school, but then gave it up to play rugby and American football, and then did pretty much nothing after leaving Uni. Work then took over, and My fitness suffered. 3 years ago we went to Sydney for my wife was working for a year and as I was going to be looking after the boys I knew that I would be able to try and get fit again. I entered City2Surf, told everyone I was going to do it, and the rest is history. I was hooked, and then started training with some Dads I met through school. I did the 1/2 and then the seed for doing a marathon was sewn. I work as a Consultant Surgeon, with an interest in upper Gi cancer (stomach and gullet). This can be very stressful, and certainly the surgery is very demanding (6-7 hours). Running is the perfect release valve as it keeps me physically fit, but also an outlet for me to collect my thoughts, relieve the tension and get the 'burn' if needed! Fitting in marathon training round school runs, kids parties/activities, work and seeing my wife is hard but it is worth it- anyone who runs knows what it does for your well being, mental and physical.... I hope that you will vote for me so that I can have the opportunity to have the best support and help to get through Paris. The chance to share the journey with everyone is really exciting and can't wait for the chat to start! Thanks for reading this, and look forward to the questions... Cheers Clive

Comments

• Hi Clive

My son wants to be a surgeon....but he has to get an offer and the grades before he can start on the long journey.....

what kind of training do you do at the moment in an average weekimage

• Sorry about above being hard to read- it was typed as paragraphs... Is this easier?? image

I have had the privilege and honour to be selected for the public vote in the 'busy lifestyle' category. This is the start of my thread to let you quiz me, and hopefully persuade you to vote for me!

I'm a 41 year old Scot living in Sheffield with my family (wife and 2 sons aged 6 & 8). I have only been running for the last 3 years, but like having kids it's hard to imagine life without it. I ran track when I was at school, but then gave it up to play rugby and American football, and then did pretty much nothing after leaving Uni. Work then took over, and My fitness suffered.

3 years ago we went to Sydney for my wife was working for a year and as I was going to be looking after the boys I knew that I would be able to try and get fit again. I entered City2Surf, told everyone I was going to do it, and the rest is history. I was hooked, and then started training with some Dads I met through school. I did the 1/2 and then the seed for doing a marathon was sewn.

I work as a Consultant Surgeon, with an interest in upper Gi cancer (stomach and gullet). This can be very stressful, and certainly the surgery is very demanding (6-7 hours). Running is the perfect release valve as it keeps me physically fit, but also an outlet for me to collect my thoughts, relieve the tension and get the 'burn' if needed!

Fitting in marathon training round school runs, kids parties/activities, work and seeing my wife is hard but it is worth it- anyone who runs knows what it does for your well being, mental and physical....

I hope that you will vote for me so that I can have the opportunity to have the best support and help to get through Paris. The chance to share the journey with everyone is really exciting and can't wait for the chat to start! Thanks for reading this, and look forward to the questions...

Cheers Clive
  • Hi Seren

I run 4-5 times a week, and when not in a training programme do about 20-25 miles a week. I like to do one longish run, an easy run and either a tempo or tempo intervals session too

If your son wants to be a surgeon go for it! Working in the Nhs isn't what it used to be but it is such a fulfilling job, and being able to 'cure' somebody by doing an operation/ procedure with your own hands is indescribable. I hope it doesn't sound arrogant or egotistical 'cos it isn't; I think it is better than giving someone a tablet!

Btw your advice in the last few Days been great image
  • Has anyone asked you about marmite yet?  But seriously good luck winning that place.  Have the ASICs team given  you your plan yet and when does it start, pre or post Xmas?

• Hi JF50

Thanks for the good wishes!Not been asked directly but it was going about on the forum yesterday... Sorry, but can't stand the stuff! Harder at home as my wife and kids love it

We haven't seen any plans and I assume it is only for those who win that get them. I think we are supposed to start on 17 December....

I used 12 week plan for the two marathons so far, and they seemed to work
  • There will be a stack of people starting that day, lots of people on here following the P&D 18 week plans for London.  Will be interesting to see how they compare. Reading your info on the site I am surprised you are not targeting 3.15 more specifically as it would give you a GFA in London next year, any reason?

• I didn't realise that is all I needed for GFA VLM to be honest. I trained at 3:15-20 pace last time and think if I went off less slowly could get nearer it. 3:15 would give me a Boston time tho'

To be honest I feel a bit like an imposter as I am new to all this so really just finding my way- all advice much appreciated!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - my wife used to work for the Royal College of Surgeons.

I asked if she knew you and she told me you "weren't one of hers". I accepted this at the time to mean that she had no professional dealings with you but the suspicious husband in me is wondering whether she was hinting at something entirely different.

If you've heard of any underhand goings on with an ex empoloyee of Welsh origin at the RCS I expect you to let me know immediately! image

• Malcs- I'll take that as a compliment! I'm a fellow of the oldest College (edinburgh) so that'll will be why. All inverted snobbery about which college is the most important! As well as the birthright issue!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs  - you do make me laugh. I suspect Clive has used those excuses before when he's on the ropes!

Keep up the entertainment folksimage

• Is it (a) possible, or (b) likely that a Hiatus Hernia could be missed when performing a  gastroscopy on a patient being examined for potential cancer of the oesophagus?

• Clive- Good luck for this competition. What 12 week programme did you follow for  the Berlin marathon? Was it the same programme as your first marathon? I did two marathons this year 3:29(London) and 3:21(Chester). I'm concentrating on shorter distances between now and Spring and then hopefully will get a place in the Abingdon marathon, October 2013 and go sub 3:15! It will be interesting to see what other training runs the coaches set you.

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Is it (a) possible, or (b) likely that a Hiatus Hernia could be missed when performing a  gastroscopy on a patient being examined for potential cancer of the oesophagus?

Tenjiso wrote (see)

Is it (a) possible, or (b) likely that a Hiatus Hernia could be missed when performing a  gastroscopy on a patient being examined for potential cancer of the oesophagus?

Certainly it is possible, but unless it is small I would hope most endoscopists would pick it up.. I have an interest (I know, need to get out more) in hiatus hernias so am more likely to pick them up than mostimage

• Gazelle- Thanks for the good wishes! I used the same programme for them both. It was a customised programme from Greg Mcmilllan (www.mcmillanrunning.com), and cost about £50. I ran 4-5 times a week, max 45miles/week. Worth looking at his website, especially the pace calculator. Happy to email a copy if you wish?

With those times you should easily be able to get 3:15! Best of luck

• Thanks for that Clive.  I have an interest too, but for personal reasons image

I have an endoscopy report that says I don't have Hiatus Hernia, but the consultant who reviewed my case is pretty convinced they have missed it.  I have disparate symptoms going back nearly ten years that would all be explained if he is right.

P.S. You don't do knees too, do you? image

• tenjiso- I agree if the symptoms fit. Happy to give a second opinion if you want (i'm in doncaster??)

Don't do knees but know a man who can image

• I'll be seeing the consultant again next February.  I assume he is going to duke it out with the endoscopist in the carpark.  If I need another endoscopy, I'm going to opt to be put to sleep next time!  Not the most pleasant experience image  I hope he is right, though, because the problem can then be fixed!

Good luck BTW.  I hear you're in some sort of competition image

• This looks like it could make you a fortune in referrals Clive on this site.  In fact there must be a business venture here somewhereimage

• Tenjiso- thanks for kind words. Hard to believe we've all got so wrapped up in the competition! Would love to win, but everyone else is just as deserving and will be right behind the winning 5 whoever. Experience has been great so far image

JF50- I hope your right!! Will it get me enough votes tho??? Maybe Dragins Den should be next stop
  • Malcs...you've heard about these surgeons aswell!

Clive you could exchange advice for votes!

Hope you haven't been too busy on call tonight, I really don't miss nights!
  • morning

what do you hopr to gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forums image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Morning Clive,

Here is a excerpt from an email I received from an old friend this morning. Thought you and Sarah osboprne 4 might enjoy reading. Their is some recognition for the excellent work your profession does:

My main problem is I enjoyed the experiences I have had the good fortune to experience, been amazed at the treatments endured and the nursing staff that I have been blessed with that still make my eyes water with undying admiration (they were and are brilliant).

I sailed through my stays in hospital, but watched with a sense of awe at the dedication some of the poorer patients received from these multi national nurses and doctors, evidenced by their ceaseless care and attention.

Sorry about that but somebody needs to tell of the good work that is carried out daily by these men and women that don't seem to get much publicity, only the downsides are news worthy aren't they.

• Seren,

Thanks for the question...Whilst I've run 2 marathons, I did this with a programme that I stuck to religiously both times. I still feel a bit of a novice and there is so much to learn from others experiences, good and bad. BC was a prime example of being able to talk with like minded individuals and I felt enriched by the day. The forum allows that in a detached way. It is also a different 'social media' to FB, Twitter etc.

I had not really dipped into the forum before BC, and now I wonder why I hadn't! I have got a whole new set of friends too! Hopefully I can bring to the table my experiences, and share my thoughts/opinions too, which will help others in the same way as I feel I'm being helped. If I make anyone smile or laugh at the same time, it is worth it even more image

• DS- Thanks for the message. It is so nice, but unfortunately less common to receive positive feedback from patients. Certainly the media are not interested in these stories- doesn't sell papers!

If I make someone feel better, or as part of their interactions with me satisfied, then I am doing my job properly. I think I'm doing ok most of the time image

• Hi Clive. Nice meeting you at boot camp. What made you take up American football? Did you like it more than rugby? Married to an American I have to show an interest in the sport. As long as I can hold a conversation about Tim Tebow it stands me in good stead with the in-laws!
  • Hi Ady, was good to meet you too at BC. The best thing about this competition is meeting so many new people, all with different stories, and also putting names to faces!

I started with american football the summer before I went to Uni- a few of the doorman in the pub i worked played and talked me into coming down. It was in the '90s when it was really popular. I also played at Uni, which was a friendlier, less nepotistic, atmosphere than the rugby team. We were the National Champions in 1994, and ! played for GB students too.

It is a different game to rugby- all explosive and certainly been hit (and hit others) far harder than when I played rugby. That was why after palying running back for 2 years I changed to defense- didn't hurt as much image

Loved reading your posts- respect for having done so much. Hope you do well, and whilst will be gutted if I don't get it, will be totally behind the winners as everyone deserves itimage

• /members/images/699883/Gallery/PB280013.JPG

/members/images/699883/Gallery/PB280010.JPG

Santa Fun Run Sydney Harbour 2010- my first race with my son. 5k in 28 degrees, and he didn't stop once- nearly killed me image

• /members/images/699883/Gallery/P5070053.JPG

/members/images/699883/Gallery/P5070032.JPG

First triathlon- Oliver(red top) came 3rd in the under 7's race. I was 9th in the Sprint 

• All great pictures, all good memories I bet