Getting overcooked wearing layers..

I am a better runner during the winter cold months i admit, but i am also human so i need layers, but the trouble is, i still overcook. If you can get through that first few miles where your body temperature warms up, and then you can get away with wearing just a t-shirt and shorts. But its the starting off. The gloves, layers, which kind of rules you. Some people need to keep these layers, and i feel the cold terribly to begin with, but then my body changes. I dont know what the solution is, except for wearing layers that can be removed, i.e a jacket you can tie around your waist. I tend to gloves which have the cut offs. They are useful.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• Never bother with gloves - I like to run with my hands up my sleeves if its that cold to begin with. Hats are always too hot for me too. 

And if you're running with shorts and teeshirt when its zero degrees - what do you wear when its a baking hot summer and 20 degreesimage eh ?

You could wear a light rain jacket to keep the windchill off and unzip it when warm? They'll bundle up into the palm of your hand these days too. 

• Better to start cold and warm up as you run. The only problem with that is it really knocks the motivation to go out when it's freezing cold. I always regret wearing too much though. Maybe circuits that take you past your house again after a mile or two, so that you can just shed a layer are the answer.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Overdress in winter. It prepares you for summer.

🙂

• It is easy to pull a muscle in cold weather so warm up is essential. In winter I usually warm up on exercise bike, do a variety of other exercises, lunges, heel raises and star jumps and head out of the door warm. I got injured last year after going out unwarmed, now I know better. I don't bother with hats or gloves but I do always run in a baseball cap, old and worn but my lucky one all the same. I wear a jacket and then tie it round my waist if necessary. I may weat a buff on my neck if very windy but trouble is I get too warm and then have to store it in jacket pocket so don't really bother with these.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I never wear a hat, I get too hot, but I wear a thin fleece earband to keep my ears warm.  If I start to get hot, I find pushing the bottom of it up a bit to reveal my ear lobes is enough to cool me down a bit.

I also start out with thin fleece gloves on, but they usually end up stuffed down my tights after a few miles.

• Get yourself a chest freezer - 10 mins in that prior to going out should make the outside temperature feel positively warm! (Obviously I am only joking - any children reading this don't climb inside a freezer..)

I wear nice warm tights and a long sleeve top. Occasionally thin gloves but I'd rather be really cold to start as I soon warm up and I can't be arsed with carrying redundant kit. Or you could try moving somewhere warmer for the winter! (Who says birds are stupid?)

• stuffing stuff down your tights is indeed the way to go, as Wilkie points out. but probably down the back, rather than the front, to avoid a Spinal Tap style bulge.

• I always pile the layers on before leaving (especially in the dark) I always regrest it but I am not sure I would get out the door when that initial cold hits.

• "Better to start cold and warm up as you run."

+1 with that.  on my -3C run this morning I wore a pair of lycra shorts (commando), long sleeve top, windproof front gilet, hat and gloves.  doesn't seem a lot and sure I was chilly to start with but 40mins later when I got home I was very warm and instantly started sweating as soon as I walked in the house.  only bit that was still chilly was my fingertips

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I always overheat/sweat loads. But my hands always get cold, so usually have one, sometimes two pairs of them on.
    Other than that its shorts all year round (me and a guy at the club have a theory that it stems from football days- shorts all winter). If its really cold I'll swap my short sleeves for long sleeves. I reckon once, perhaps twice (at a push) each year do I need more than one layer (short sleeve drifit over long sleeved version)

As cougie points out its more or less than what I wear in summer, I just sweat twice as much then!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I wear a long-sleeved top over a short sleeved one if it's very cold, and tights rather than shorts, but I don't wear a lot of layers.  

I rarely feel cold while running, but in very, very cold weather, my bum goes numb sometimes image

• I think I must be getting softer as I get older and have moved further north. Previously, I would go out in shorts, base layer, light jacket, hat and gloves. Now, I wouldnt entertain the thought of going out unless I have my thermal leggings on under my long tights, a thermal baselayer, another long sleeved running top, jacket, snood, hat and gloves. It really can be grim up north, what a southern wuss I really must be image

• I tend to wear 3/4 leggings/running tights all year round as I love how comfortable they are.  When it's really cold I just wear a long sleeved top and a windproof gilet.  Generally after the first 5 or 10 minutes I warm up.  However, my hands do get cold, so a lightweight pair of gloves is essential.  Always wear a lightweight cap, summer or winter - it's mainly habit but stops my hair blowing about and out of my face. 

Maybe I'm odd, but I LOVE running in the cold and I don't mind the rain either.  Can't stand running in the heat - maybe I should have been an eskimo?!?!?! image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I also get too hot when I layer up in the cold - legs are ok in tights, but I find my top half overheats, and wanting to strip down to sports bra even in the cold (I don't, as there are kids and old people using the path I run image)

I recently read on here about using a base layer, so I might give that a go - one with long sleeves to cover my hands too (not usually a problem, being a shortie!)

• shorts, short sleeve running top (long sleeve if it's truly freezing) and gloves, that I pop in my waistband once i'm warmed up. anything more and I overheat. And yes I wilt when i'm running in the summer. Anything much more than 20 degrees kills me.

• Its nice to know that i am not the only one. Thanks for all your comments so far. I am doing a run tomorrow. Nice long one, in line with my marathon training. Will wear t-shirt and shorts, but with a top i can tie around my waist.

I am an all year runner, like so many of us. You dont stop because of the weather. You just adjust what you wear accordingly.

• Ronhill do a jacket that rolls up into a stuffsack with a belt, then you put the belt on. all very neat.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I find I warm up ok if I have my long sleeve vest underneath a tshirt -and I'm usually even ok with shorts. It's my hands that get it - I get terribly cold fingers anyway, and often even with gloves on my fingers get so cold they hurt very much. 

• Long sleeved top, ron hills and merino wool gloves if it's very cold. And a buff around head; get too hot in a hat.

• I find it really uncomfortable to have things stuffed anywhere in my tights, so second the windproof gilet -- mine is also hi-viz for early mornings and dark evenings, is lightweight so not too hot, and it is the only item of running kit I own with pockets big enough to put gloves in after a few miles. If it's only a bit cold I just wear a vest underneath.

Did a race today (actually turned out not to be that cold) where I'd decided on the start off cold and warm up approach because no pockets in my club vest for gloves and was quite jealous of the two guys in front, who'd planted their girlfriends at 3 miles to throw their discarded gloves and hats at.

• TheSianz wrote (see)

It's my hands that get it - I get terribly cold fingers anyway, and often even with gloves on my fingers get so cold they hurt very much. 

This is a real problem for me as well. Considerable pain in my fingers during a freezing run last weekend, and even worse afterwards for about 10 minutes as circulation returned to my fingers. This despite wearing Nike windproof/fleecy gloves. Thinking of some Icebreaker merino glove liners - quite pricy at £20+, but may be worth it. Anyone tried these? 

http://www.itchyfeet.com/gifts/gifts_under_25/icebreaker_glove_liner.htm

• TheSianz & CambridgeMinor - sounds like Raynauds.

I have Raynauds and my hands; feet and ears are badly effected.
    I rarely warm upon a long run and days like yesterday when it was both damp and windy on the wrong side of the downs I get so cold that it can take me over an hr to warm up after getting home. I was out for about 5hrs both cycling and running though I do take drugs to help they didn't cope. If I had gone for a short run I'd've been fine I'm sure.

CambridgeRunner - I haven't tried those gloves was tempted by a pair but they were a little too tight on my chunky didgets. I like to avoid anything tight on my fingers. I'm thinking of a pair of UA gloves. I usually run in Extremities which cope with most things. My favourites aren't available any more.

• literatin wrote (see)

I find it really uncomfortable to have things stuffed anywhere in my tights, so second the windproof gilet -- mine is also hi-viz for early mornings and dark evenings, is lightweight so not too hot, and it is the only item of running kit I own with pockets big enough to put gloves in after a few miles. If it's only a bit cold I just wear a vest underneath.

Did a race today (actually turned out not to be that cold) where I'd decided on the start off cold and warm up approach because no pockets in my club vest for gloves and was quite jealous of the two guys in front, who'd planted their girlfriends at 3 miles to throw their discarded gloves and hats at.

That's the purpose of my other half at races. To collect discarded clothing. (that and feed cake to abandoned children).

• I too have the no feelings in the hands, Almost had to run a parkrun the other week in my cycle helmet when I struggled to undo the clasp. Will probably have to put the bike into hibernation for a while. For running I have got a couple of those pocket hand warmers and am thinking if I can get hold of a pair of mittens with a bit of space in them, I could put them in and that might work.

Did get a balaclava in case the weather gets really cold but I am not sure I dare wear it particularly with a dark track suit in case I get the police helicopter hovering overhead.

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

shorts, short sleeve running top (long sleeve if it's truly freezing) and gloves, that I pop in my waistband once i'm warmed up. anything more and I overheat. And yes I wilt when i'm running in the summer. Anything much more than 20 degrees kills me.

Snap.  20 degrees and sunny near enough floors me.  Totally saps my energy and leaves me unable to run even close to true pace.  My thermostat is just crap.

I used to run in just short, t-shirt and a hat in the northern winter.  However, now I often don't exceed 75% of maximal heart rate on a run, I need a little more to stop the cold creeping into my bones too much.  Running tights are a regular feature, base layer top with lose long sleeved top over it or a windproof gillet and some running gloves get the nod too.  I do get hot but as long as the pace is steady away, not too hot.

I wouldn't dream of doing any hard sessions in more than one layer though, i'd sweat myself dry otherwise.

• I must have poor circulation, as my feet get so cold in this weather that they are quite sore. I wear thick running socks, but is there anything else?

• I wish I had the 'overheating problem'!

Katy H - I have raynaud's syndrome and have found out about these gloves my Dr recommended.

http://www.raynauds.org.uk/shop?page=shop.browse&category_id=7

...although I don't own a pair but I find it's best to keep my hands in a fist when wearing ski gloves, this is the only thing that works, otherwise I couldn't run in the cold as it's just too painful!!
  • T.mouse wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

That's the purpose of my other half at races. To collect discarded clothing. (that and feed cake to abandoned children).

Haha, just noticed there is a new post on the race website that says: 

"Did you take your gloves off at 3 miles?

If you took your gloves off at around the 3 mile mark and threw them to a lady watching, she’s happy to send them back to you."

Seems the guys I saw may have just been flinging garments at random women!