Vote - Malcs

I feel incredibly lucky to have made it through to the voting stage of the Asics Target 26.2 competition. RW have asked us to start a thread and introduce ourselves so here goes.

I’m a Scottish born rugby player, living in England with a Welsh wife and two children of confused nationality.

I started running about 5 years ago partly to keep fit for rugby but mainly because my wife started and I was scared she’d be fitter than meimage. She has since got her own back by starting triathlons as she knows I can’t swim! (not quite true, I’m happy with a gentle breaststroke but my chin needs to be at least two inches above the water or I get a panic attack ).

I’m in the On a Plateau group but I see from my fellow candidates that they have just bundled all the bald guys into one place (Shady Ady excepted of course).

I work from home and juggle work around school runs, feeding times and ferrying the little fellas about. I’m a software developer so for most of the day I only move from the wrist down (steady!) - running has got me moving and out into the fresh air and I can’t think what I’d do without it.

You’ll see that I have a set myself a huge challenge. Knocking 30mins off a marathon time is no easy feat. However, it has been done and my shorter race times would suggest that running 8 minute miles is well within my capabilities.

Like most of the candidates I’m a new contributor to the forums but I’ve been posting regularly on the 26.2 thread since bootcamp was announced and have really enjoyed it. I will definitely be sharing everything I learn should I make it through. And if I don't, I've discovered a new place to go for advice, motivation or just a bit of banter.

We've been told to expect some in depth probing so I'm bracing myself... image

On a Plateau - vote Malcs

Comments

• malcolm.with those times you should defuinitely be running faster..............i was stuck at around 4:30 for years and then last year with the help of a forum mentor took 28 mins off so hopefully you can do the same.....

where did you learn about the compettion.....

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Seren - yes I saw that when you posted on the 26.2 thread, great achievement. It's  very reassuring to know it can be done!

I've been a lurker here for a while. I saw it advertised here when checking the events database last year. I applied then but wasn't successful.

I followed the competition right the way through - mainly Rosie's thread as she was trying to do sub 3:30. Sounded amazing so it was a no brainer entering again this year. 

• You have my vote as a fellow baywatch-type-don't-like-water-in-my-eyes swimmer!

Lovin' the humour too...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

You got my vote malcs.  It was the Scottish born rugby player that did it.  image And also because you're chasing sub 3:30.  It took me 9 marathons to crack that time (with the help of the Forum 6) and since then I've knocked another 10 minutes off. Well worth the hard work!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minni - a good choice. He's a top bloke and I feel sure he won't let you down.

Also, he realised the error of his ways and moved to the best county in the UK!!!

Malcs - Minni is one of those I get lots of great advice from, some of which I shared with you earlier in the week. Well worth getting on the threads she's on!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  Alcohol related I assume?! image

• Hi Malcs, You got my vote, mainly because my aims for 2013 are similar to yours. My marathon PB is 3:59 but I'm confident that, with an injury free spell, I can take at least 30 minutes off that at London.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks so much guys. 

Minni - what were your times before you beat the 3:30 mark? Did they steadily drop or were you stuck like me for a while? My last 4 were 4:02, 3:58, 3:59 & 3:59 - going nowhere!

SB - image even with my chin above the water I really do prefer the to wear goggles just in case!

ZiggyTheSpider - many thanks, have you been stuck there for long? I was sure there must be others in the same boat. What are your 10K and HM times?

DS2 - the advise I've had from you so far already makes this process more than worthwhile. If I don't make it then you can expect me to be pestering you alot more. Best of luck with your campaign. Just can't believe you and RRR are in the same category. Could you do it together three-legged? 

• Malcs wrote (see)
    ZiggyTheSpider - many thanks, have you been stuck there for long? I was sure there must be others in the same boat. What are your 10K and HM times?

I've only ran one marathon and that was this years Edinburgh. My 10k PB is 41:02 and my HM is 1:39:50.

I reckon I could take quite a bit off my HM but I need to be a bit braver when it comes to my HM & marathon pacing.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Malcs - yes the same.  My marathons were all between 3:43 and 3:31 but I just couldn't get under the 3:30.  I decided towards the end of 2010 that since my children were getting older and I could devote a bit more time to running, come what may I would get under 3:30 in 2011 and that would be my last marathon.  Then my half pb was 1:36 (but couldn't get that any faster either) and my 10k an embarrassing 48 or something.  I was selected for the forum 6 and was mentored to my 3:28 marathon in April 2011.  I then signed up with a coach and have got my 10k down to 42:57, HM 1:32, marathon 3:20.    I'm getting on a bit now (43 image) and never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would runs times like I am now. 

So you can move on from the plateau and its good to have someone else doing the thinking for you.  Believe me, once you get under 3:30 everything starts to fit into place.

What are your half and 10k times?

Very best of luck.   I really hope you get through.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Wow Ziggy, that's an immense 10K time. I reckon you're dead right about your HM.

I ran 42:05 at the Eposom Oddballs Perch earlier this year and was extatic until I checked my Garmin and it read 6.05 miles so I'm not counting that  image  

I'd love to get a 10K time that starts with a 3 - you're almost there!

Well hopefully if I scrape through we'll get to learn how this is achieved. I certainly won't be keeping anything secret, you have my word.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Minni - that's really encouraging to know.

Those are brilliant times. That's exactly where I want to be too. I'm 41 so no spring chicken but I do feel that I still have alot of improving to do. 

It does seem that whilst following a standard schedule is good, it does need tweaking for the individual. What did your  mentor have you do differently?

My Half PB is 1:34 and 10K is 43:28 (that's ignoring the one above) 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'd already chosen and started on the P&D schedule so we stuck to that.  He advised on one or two things but basically he just kept me on the straight and narrow and made me do every session. image

With your other times I'm sure 3:30 is well within your grasp. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks, I really hope so!

Hope this isn't a silly question but what does P&D stand for and where could I find out more? 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Advanced Marathon training by Pfitzinger & Douglas.

You'll not need the schedules image but its a good read anyway.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    One for the Christmas list - cheers muchly!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - Minni  and her mates have got me on this a few weeks ago. It's a good read and very detailed. Schedules are pretty full on but I like what I see for the most part. Plus lots on the sub 3 and sub 3:15 threads have had huge success following the P&D schedules.

Defo worth a look mate!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers DS2!

Here's another issue. I have suffered with some degree of cramps and nausea in the latter stages of all my last 4 marathons. Clearly it's a dehydration and/or salt issue. For the VLM this year I was constantly stopping in the last 6 miles to let the waves of nausea pass. Thought I'd got away with it but was then sick a poor man's shoe in Horse Guards image.

(if it was your shoe then please do get in touch so I can offer my sincere apologies).

Salt tabs seem to help but I never know how many to take. By the time I realise the answer is "more than you've taken already" it's too late! 

How do you practice these things when all spring marathon training is in the cold where you barely sweat a drop?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I think there is a scientific reason somewhere behind this. The guys on the sub 3 thread will know much more but I feel like this when I increase my long run. Once I get enough long runs in I don't suffer so much. It could be linked to not doing enough long runs, maybe/

Probably talking out of my backside but it's worth a post on the Sub 3:15 thread. You'll be on there in time anyhow - might as well introduce yourself now. Just say I suggested you ask them. Some of the guys know everything!image

• Malcs, the reason for cramp isn't fully understood, what I've found is hydrate from a few days out (Nuun's work well).  Paris last year was flipping freezing so don't worry about training cold running hot!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha image That would suit me down to the ground Choisty! I did the Spitfire 20 last year as part of my run up to VLM. It was absolutely nobbling but I hardly needed any water and took no salts. Felt great at the end, easily better than on any of my marathons.

Well done on last year btw. How did you cope at this stage with all the nerves and anticipation? It's like Christmas with all the excitement but only a 25% chance of Santa stobbing by image 

DS2 - excellent, I will do that. Thanks again for all your advise, you're a star!

• Afternoon Malcs! image Thought I could get through the no post embargo by saying hello here instead! Have you got any fingernails left? image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Let me just check....no, all gone! On the flip side, that's a bit less weight to carry, will probably knock a good fraction of a second off my time image

Having spoken to the others I don't think I'm the only one riding the wave of adrenaline. How about you?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - you can tell which one's of us work for ourselves can't you?

• Malcs wrote (see)

I ran 42:05 at the Eposom Oddballs Perch earlier this year and was extatic until I checked my Garmin and it read 6.05 miles so I'm not counting that  image  .

I think you should - it's a 6.25 mile race and gps sometimes won't get a good signal in the trees around Nonsuch Park.  It may not be a 100% accurate course but I'd be surprised if it was less than 10k.  Are you local then?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    DS2 wrote (see)

Malcs - you can tell which one's of us work for ourselves can't you?

image I may have to fire myself now, or at least put myself on unpaid leave!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheerful Dave - aha! Well yes, I thought that it said it was a 'just over 10K' race so I was gutted when I checked my watch. I had assumed I had strayed off course so this is brilliant news image

I'd really like to get under 40 mins at some stage but I'd swap that in an instant to get through to Paris and achieve my marathon goals.

Are you a member at Epsom?

I'm not local to Epsom but I'm not far away, in Orpington.

The Perch was the first run in a series of charity races I did with a friend of mine. He does live in Epsom so it was good to start there. I have to say it was a great race - very well organised. I even enjoyed the mud - never run sideways before. In places it was like rally driving for runners - loved it image

• I'm not far from Epsom malcs, I run for one of the other clubs in the area. 

If your marathon training goes to plan you'll be in shape for a quick 10k in the summer.  Sutton 10k will probably be around 2-3 weeks after Paris, you'd crack 40 there for sure if you managed 42 at the Perch.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Excellent - book me in! Sutton is a bit closer too image