Vote for DS2 - RW Asics 26.2

Hi all fellow forumites,

A few weeks ago I entered the Target Asics 26.2 never believing that I would get through the first stage. I did think my story was a good one which is why I entered but was amazed when I received a call to attend 'Bootcamp'. On Monday I was advised, to my utter delight, that I had made it to the public vote.

Back in the late 80's a local runner, Bob Matthews, one of the greatest paralympians ever and a true inspiration to me, was desperate for help as he approached the World Championships. Somewhat, hesitantly, I called him and offered my services as a guide and before I knew it I was being dragged around every day on a small piece of rope by someone much faster. I learned a lot about myself and, also, what made Bob a great champion.

I did improve and my love for running was born. In 1994 I set my marathon PB of 2:44. A job change and children made the commitment tougher especially when the second time around my wife gave birth to identical twin girls. Life was never the same again.

I continued to run but it became apparent that the girls had learning difficulties and, eventually, they were diagnosed as autistic. The constant fight with the education authorities has been wearing, tearful and frustrating. However, the fighting has been worth it - they are my kids afterall - and they have, at last been given the educational provision they so desperately need.

The fight has made me stronger. Now the time has come to commit properly to the marathon again. In April 2014 I will be 50 and I desperately want to achieve a GFA qualification in Paris next spring.

I have been on the RW forums (previously under my full name) since May 2005 when I ran the Edinburgh marathon in a time of 3:34 with a minimum of training. I always believed that I would break the magic 3 again but I was unaware of the timeconsuming fight that lay ahead.

Now I am more realistic! The path to the GFA time will be hard and long, but I'm in better shape at this time of year than I have been since 1994.

Those that know me will say that I am an open book. Every up and down will be shared on the forums.

I believe I will bring fun to the team.I will be committed and work with the coaches to meet the goal. Living with four girls in the house is always a good reason to go for a run, especially with three of them being teenagers!

Life has been better this year. My kids are settled and we are viewing our future with renewed optimism. Running has, honestly, been my salvation and it would cap the year to secure a place on the team.

Please ask me anything that comes to mind. I understand that it's difficult voting for people you know little about but I promise not to let you down if you do give me your vote. I will use that fighting spirit to the fullimage

Here is the link to my voting page: Target 26.2 2013 Good for Age 

Thank you

David

Comments

• DS- an inspiring story. Really enjoyed meeting you last week and hope you get it- certainly got my support!

What are your more recent times (half, 10k, etc)?
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Clive,

I've hardly raced these past few years because of the problems with time and having children with disabilities. The last 10k was 42:35 but that was a while back now. I'm not sure any of my times are all that relevant at the moment. I have better base fitness than I've had in years and quite excited about getting faster again.

Hopefully, I will be free to race a bit more this winter and have a few lined up already.

It was great to get back on the track last week and I will carry on doing a faster session each week now. I went to do one this morning but the snow put paid to it so I had a lovely hard run through the woods instead.

I really enjoyed your company as well, Clive and glad we aren't up against each other.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Great story DS2. Keeping everything crossed for you.

Vote DS2!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It'll be really interesting to see what you can achieve. You've been very fast in the past but I love the way you're very realistic about exactly where you are now. You've got the same target as me so I'm hoping you get through so we can compare notes.

What races have you got planned over the next few months?

I love the way you've cancelled your night out - its that obsession that gets the best results.
  • Hi DS2, I've already voted for you and really hope that you win image I think your story is amazing and wish all the best to you and family.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Minni - I know it is rediculously long but I'm very old and a lot has happened in my life.

I've done a lot of sporting things in my life but I've never wanted anything as much as this. I've run 9 marathons, run daily with a great paralympian, cycled London to Paris, played in a National Hockey cup final but nothing has got me as excited as this.

I think it was reading about the exploits of the famous 5 last year - I thought 'I want some of that'.

Their interviews afterwards said it all.image Choisty  was beaming wasn't he? and since he was looking at a similar time as us, Knight Rider's story was of personal significance!

• My middle son is hockey mad DS2................something else in common.

I love the idea that you are going for a fast time..despite being faster when you were younger.... it takes a good mindset to focus on doing well nowimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minni - I was feeling guilty that I'd got through to this stage when so many good people that I met last week hadn't. It didn't seem right to go out somehow!

I am doing the Canterbury 10 on 27 January where I will be expecting to run inside 70 minutes. I last ran there in 1994 on my way to my Mara PB. I ran 59:18 so will want to get inside 69;18 at least. That will set a good benchmark. I will probably do a local 10k at the cyclopark near me next Wednesday. 4 laps of an undulating road cycle lane.

I have looked at a lot of races but since I heard I was through to bootcamp I held off just in case....... and the RW coaches can decide when I should race.

I love being coached. Have had some of the best in my other sports so would love the opportunity to get more input from Sam Murphy and Steve Smythe. I will catch up with you on the other forums - thanks for your support!

xine267 - thank you very much. I really appreciate the time you have taken to read it! Thanks, especially for your good wishes re: my family. Means even more than your vote!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Well, what a coincidence seren nos. I met nearly all my lifelong friends through my hockey club. I hope your son enjoys it as much as I always have. I think it teaches great discipline and respect for officials etc. Much like rugby union!

I find that if I set challenging goals I achieve them. It focuses me more and I don't miss any sessions unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

As you well know, getting called into school or attending meetings because of the kids is so timeconsuming and November was absolutely the least stressful month we've had since my wife was pregnat with the twins (13 years) and, strangely, I have just had the most consistent months training since then as well.

Thanks for your support!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

You haven't posted a link to guide people to vote for you. image

Vote for DS2 here....

There you go!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Minni. What an idiot!

• Good luck DS2, hope you gain the place you deserve. Whatever the outcome, the sub 3:15 thread will be there to support you in your GFA quest.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Also-ran. I'd love to get through but if I don't at least I get another 5 weeks prep before my marathon.
  • Go DS2!!!! I really hope you get your place in the final 5 your a star!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks oh bouncy one!

Missed you on here today. You been busy?

I've guessed it - you're back in panto, aren't you?image

• DS2- Good luck, I bet your so excited. I was part of the Forum 6 this year and it has been the best PB year of my running career! I will look forward to following your quest for sub 3:15 and may steel a few of the sessions your coach gives youimage

• DS2 as a 51 year old who run my first sub 3 marathon in 2011 you have my vote sir, I wish you all the luck and will follow your training.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks people - much appreciated!

No Pain - that is so motivating to hear. I'm beginning to feel like a runner again. (A little secret - my long term aim is to attempt sub 3 at London which I believe will fall exactly on my 50th birthday in 2014 - I recognise its a tall order but I know what is needed and am working hard already towards it). Well done.

On the sub 3;15 thread a few weeks ago there was a bit of commentary and a regular poster said he wasn't aware of anyone achieving their first sub 3 at 50. Well No Pain  you are now the second I have heard of. We had another who showed his face at that time One Gear. Absolutely brillantimage

Gazelle - if I don't make the 5 I'll be taking whatever help I can to met my target. Well done on your progression. Inspiring stuff!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

For those that have run Paris before can you advise what the course is like nowadays. I ran my first marathon there but it was in 1986 (before I became a proper runner!) and all I remember is quite a lot of cobbled streets - and it was very warm, but it was in May back then!

Anyone help?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Any questions will have to wait til morning. I'm off to bed so I can get my 'stupid O'clock' run in before I go to work.

Seeing as I'm constantly on these forums at the moment I need to get in early to at least get some work done first thing!

• Well you will get used to what I call dark o'clock running as its always dark no matter what time it is am or pm. Put the miles in and a couple of weekly tempo runs and you will be fine. There are still people in the 55 + age group running sub 3 hours.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Got up early to run and it was minus 4! Lovelyimage

I've done a lot of my running in recent years on a treadmill, but I gave up my gym membership so it would force me outside. Best decision I ever made. I'd forgotten just how great running outside feels, whatever the weather. As long as you have the right clothes on, that is.

Happy winter running!

• Out for my first run of the day as I have started doing doubles on a Tuesday and Thursday again in my base training will add a few miles each week to both till its 2x7 miles with the first as a Tempo run. Slotted in on the Wednesday will be my medium long run done at an easy pace this is 10 miles at the moment but will build up to 14/15. My long runs on a Sunday which is 12 at the moment but will up to 23. Love running in the morning and the cold the best time is Feb/March watching day break.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

No Pain - couldn't agree more. I take it you follow the P&D schedules? How many miles do you do generally?

When I set my PB I was running between 55-70 and intend to get back there over the next 18 months to give me a chance at a sub 3 at 50. I know I probably need that kind of mileage but worried I may break down. I guess I need to be careful.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm doing about 35-40 pw now but last week I had a cut back week and can feel the benefit of it this week.

• Last week I did 54 this week it will be 60+ over the past 3 years I have built up from 70 to 90 but I was only at that for a max of 3 weeks. My aim is to keep building up to the 90 miles a week before dropping back down into the70's where I will sharpen up on the speed. It's based on P&D but my intervals are all half mile efforts nothing shorter than that as I found I got injured. But it's surprising how you can still push an old bodyimage
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That's exactly what I need to hear No Pain. I will take it carefully but I too won't do less than 800m intervals. In fact I probably will do mostly mile reps for my marathon training.

Having said that, I need to do something speedwise!

I will probably bother you again as things progress if you don't mind!

I am the oldest person left in the competition so I need to do something for the greying/balding brigade!

• Lol we can still give the young pups a run for there money.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I like to think so! You certainly are!

Are there any forums on here for the older runner. I'm sure I could nab a few votes there!