Vote Steve in First TImer

Hi everyone,

You can vote for me here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/competitions/target-262-2013-first-timer/492.html and become a part of Team Steve (still working on the t-shirts...)

I am a first-time marathon runner but I have been running on and off since school - I was the poor sap the PE teacher used to make do three laps of the school field while every one else only had to do two: "You should all take a leaf out of Steve's book - he could run five miles while making a cup of tea! Do another lap, Steve, and show them!"

So, not long after school I gave up running, took up smoking... the usual story for a rebellious teenager.

But, despite the pain and ever-lasting hatred of Mr Frutneit, some of the running bug stayed with me and about three years ago I gave up smoking and started running again properly... and found a hobby I truly love. It acts as both a huge motivator and a way of de-stressing when things are tough.

To date, I have always been a slol runner - earphones in and off I go. But Bootcamp was such an amazing experience and an eye-opener and I loved so much spending the day chatting to people about running without their eyes glazing over. I am genuinely gutted to be in competition against Mel, who seemed such a lovely person when I met her and Aaron, who was my best buddy on track for the day!

Whether I go any further in this competition or not, I definitely want to become a regular on the forum (if you lovely people will have me!) and I want to also join a running club and get so much more out of the social side of running.

Anyway, anything you want to know about me, my running, my experiences and my goals, please do feel free to ask as I look forward to sharing.

Steve

Comments

• So what's the bacon thing all about - why do you love it so much? image

• so what recent races have ypou done and whatr times.............and why on earth give up one of lives pleasures.

• Good luck Steve! image

Do you think that you'll give running without music a go after the bootcamp experience? (I'm not one of the anti-ipod brigade by the way, I love my running playlists but I don't use them all the time - more when I think I'm going to need an external pick-me-up to get through the run!)  

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

So what's the bacon thing all about - why do you love it so much? image

Hi Sleepy Bear, I'm a bit of a foodie - I love cooking and eating out. Bacon just happens to be my favourite food, just shading yorkshire puddings (seriously, nutrition is my big downfall!).

My perfect Sunday: wake up early and drive down to the seafront (alas, Southend-on-Sea, but you can't have everything) and go for a long, steady run along the promenade and sea wall.  Nip home and have a nice hot shower then settle down on the sofa in front of the grand prix all afternoon with a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea.

As long as it is brown sauce.

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)
    Don't give up bacon!!

Haha yes, maybe quite a drastic step! Maybe I'll just start grilling it instead...image

• seren nos wrote (see)

so what recent races have ypou done and whatr times.............and why on earth give up one of lives pleasures.

Hi Seren nos,  I ran the Bupa London 10k recently and we tested the loop they used for the Olympic marathon course - was an absolutely amazing day. I went with Havens Hospices on a coach and met some really great people (although we all ran our own races).  I was aiming for anything sub 50mins but it turned out to be the hottest day of the year, way over 30C so I set off really slow... I mean really slow! At the end I had absolutely bags left in the tank and pretty much sprinted the last half km and got over the line in a shade under 55mins - I was pretty gutted with myself for pacing it so badly! On the plus side, I spent most of the race sight-seeing and there was some guys banging some massive drums in Leadenhall Market, which echoed everywhere and gave me the hugest adrenaline rush! I really recommend anyone to do the race - it's a great course.!

My most recent half marathon was in sunny Southend-on-Sea (you tend to run quite fast times because of all the chavs).  I managed 1:52:00, which I was pretty chuffed with - I had run the same race the year before very soon after having surgery and did it in 2:36:00.

My last 5k race came out at 23:03 (my pb is 22:22 so was quite pleased) - I really, really want to go sub 20mins for 5k so that's a goal for 2013!

Why give up one of life's pleasures? I guess it is just a flippant way of letting you know that I am serious and determined to do the best I can if picked - I know I don't exactly come across as being particularly serious or with much steely determination (!) but I am actually extremely dedicated. As I was crowing about on the forum last night (sorry about that!), I have just finished my law degree - it has taken five years and has been done around a hectic full time job, cancer, surgery, the breakdown of a relationship, moving house... and I somehow managed to scrape first-class honours. So it is just a way of letting you know that, if picked, I will give this my absolute all despite the jokes.

Phew, I'll let you digest all of that and then see if you have any more questions!

• xine267 wrote (see)

Good luck Steve! image

Do you think that you'll give running without music a go after the bootcamp experience? (I'm not one of the anti-ipod brigade by the way, I love my running playlists but I don't use them all the time - more when I think I'm going to need an external pick-me-up to get through the run!)  

Thanks xine267 image

Well the plan is to join a running club so definitely yes.

I listen to music on the vast majority of my runs but I do go out every once in a while with no music, watch, smartphone, GPS and just run for the sheer hell of it - I always enjoy the change of pace and just seeing where my body takes me.

But I will still listen to music sometimes! I do find it can motivate me, as you say. I remember a particularly tough training run I really wasn't up for not long before my last half mara and I was seriously flagging around the 2hr mark... and then Eye of the Tiger came on the playlist entirely by chance. I think I actually laughed out loud and sped up and finished the training run on a high image

What sort of things do you listen to? I can't handle really high-tempo stuff as I tend to try to run in time to the music and get knackered!

• You got my vote though if I'd known you were one of the brown sauce brigade I might have though twice image

My first mara was sub 4 so it's perfectly achievable though am intrigued by how far under 4 someone could go first time round with optimal training and support!

• Evening Steve! You've put your target time as sub-4 ... but what do you SECRETLY hope to get as your time? 3:45? 3:55? image

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

You got my vote though if I'd known you were one of the brown sauce brigade I might have though twice image

My first mara was sub 4 so it's perfectly achievable though am intrigued by how far under 4 someone could go first time round with optimal training and support!

Thanks Sleepy Bear, would be the most awesome thing to be picked - my son nearly pierced my ear drum with his shouting when I told him I'd got this far image

Come on, it's brown sauce with sausage sandwiches and red sauce with egg sandwiches. Bacon sarnies are a grey area - you can go either wayimage

I did 1:52 for my last half so I can hopefully definitely achieve sub 4 - that was without any kind of structure so, yes, if I do get through it will be fascinating to see how far I can push myself... and my times over shorter distances suggest I should be going a bit faster for the longer distances!

What's your PB?

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Steve! You've put your target time as sub-4 ... but what do you SECRETLY hope to get as your time? 3:45? 3:55? image

I SECRETLY hope to be somewhere within four miles of you when you cross the line!!

I've never followed a proper plan (and this will be a plan and a half from the pros!) so I genuinely don't know - I reckon, on a good day and with a following wind, I might be able to get close to 3:45... I do love a challenge image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Brown sauce rules. But as I was asked last year: to marmite or not marmite, that is the question. Good luck fella! Oh, what do you hope to get from this programme?

Oh and that RunnyRunRun is a good egg.
  • Steve,

I think it is accepted that it is mustard with sausages, red with egg, brown with bacon and salad cream with fish fingers.  Anything else is just plain weird!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Xyloid: REALLY??? Red with egg.... No! Has to be mayo. With you on the rest thoughimage
  • Actually anyone tried sausages with cheese and red? yumm yumm!! Eggs should be poached never fried perfection in a shell!! even better added on the top of grilled bacon topped with salt and pepper!

• BoDuke wrote (see)
    Brown sauce rules. But as I was asked last year: to marmite or not marmite, that is the question. Good luck fella! Oh, what do you hope to get from this programme?

Oh and that RunnyRunRun is a good egg.

Thanks BoDuke, been an absolute blast so far - hope it continues!

I'm firmly anti-marmite. My mum's partner swears by it though - he actually got proper upset when that lorry full of yeast extract overturned on the motorway a few months back (I kept making jokes about the yesatbound carriageway. He has started talking to me again recently.)

As for what I hope to get out of the programme: the opportunity to work with the coaches, Sam and Steve, and the whole Asics team is just out of this world - I guess I've been a 'fun' runner in the past, in that I do it because I enjoy it but I haven't been organised or followed plans - I think I am going to amaze myself when (if!) I get to see exactly what I am capable of with that kind of backing and support. I also (bit cheesy, apologies) want to do it for my son - he is so excited at the prospect of seeing me in the mag that it makes me swell with pride every time he mentions it (cheese over).

Yes, she is - we've been having a proper good natter on Twitter!

• Hey Steve......amazing we got through...!!!...wahhhhh....just all seems a bit wierd and surreal!!!.....look forward to following your progress.....!!..good luck!!!.....xx

• Xyloid wrote (see)

Steve,

I think it is accepted that it is mustard with sausages, red with egg, brown with bacon and salad cream with fish fingers.  Anything else is just plain weird!

Xyloid... mustard... hadn't even crossed my mind... You're an evil genius. Not sure where that leaves us with an egg/sausage combo though...

Where did your forum name come from - I have vague science class recollections that it means plant-like or wood-like or something?

• Green and white tigger wrote (see)

Actually anyone tried sausages with cheese and red? yumm yumm!! Eggs should be poached never fried perfection in a shell!! even better added on the top of grilled bacon topped with salt and pepper!

I do love a poached egg - eggs benedict is one of my favourite breakfasts...

I've just had dinner and I'm hungry again!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Steve: on the marmite front, wrong answer. I weeped tears. I've not cried since April... Oh well... Like the cheese answer though, this process is highly emotional. Seen the videos from last year? That's how it. You've for my vote.
  • I do hope that if you do get in you share your daily food intake!!

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hey Steve......amazing we got through...!!!...wahhhhh....just all seems a bit wierd and surreal!!!.....look forward to following your progress.....!!..good luck!!!.....xx

Hey Mel,

I know! I can't believe I'm up against you and Aaron! It is the strangest feeling, isn't it?! We were lucky enough to have a fab group at bootcamp - whichever of us gets through fully deserves it image

Good luck!

• BoDuke wrote (see)
    Steve: on the marmite front, wrong answer. I weeped tears. I've not cried since April... Oh well... Like the cheese answer though, this process is highly emotional. Seen the videos from last year? That's how it. You've for my vote.

Haha - that does raise a question as to what you usually weep... presumably some sort of yeast-based product?image Look at it this way - if I don't buy marmite, it's less likely to sell out and leave you wanting...

It is surprisingly emotional, and there's still a week to go! I haven't seen the videos - where are they?

Thanks for the support and taking the time to comment image

• Green and white tigger wrote (see)

I do hope that if you do get in you share your daily food intake!!

Tigs, my daily food intake would sustain a small herd of elephants... so I reckon I can spare at least a littleimage

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Where did your forum name come from - I have vague science class recollections that it means plant-like or wood-like or something?

It means having the quality or nature of wood.  (I'm a bit dense!)

• Steve - I ran 3:49 at Loch Ness (not the easiest of courses) and then have been slower ever since but then of my other 3 maras - 2 have been LAMMs (google it sometime) and then I did Langdale this year (sold as the toughest road mara in the world)!  So I reckon you should be on for quicker than that in Paris!

Mayo with everything except bacon - when it has to be red and the bread deffo has to be buttered! (Oh but apple sauce with chips - don't knock it til you've tried it!!!)

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with SB on the bread bein buttered thing!

The link: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/tv/ I'm on phone. So not a hyperlink, soz.
  • Awww Steve - your thread is making me so hungry!!! I'm already on about Day 10 of my advent calendar ...

So ... if you don't get into Paris through the thread will you be doing any other marathons this year? Or have you got any other races planned?

• I used to eat bacon like it was my last meal.  Loved it so much that I couldn't get enough of it, including the rinds and dipping my bread in the fat for good measure.  A nutritionists nightmare.

In the last couple of years I suddenly find that I can barely eat it.  I still love the taste and smell as much as ever, but I can't eat it very much without feeling physically sick.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine, so maybe it's age-related.  Or maybe the wife is slipping arsenic into the grease.

I'm not trying to make a point.  This has been upsetting and I thank you for the opportunity to share some of my burden.