Vote Caro in PB Hunter

/members/images/471967/Gallery/Caro_&_Tiger_0.jpg

Hi everyone I’m Caroline and I’m new to the RW forums. I came across the Asics Target 26.2 competition last year whilst searching for tips on a marathon training program and I was very impressed (and nervous for the final 5) as I followed their training highlights and video clips posted on the website and how they ALL achieved their goals in Paris.

I’ve always been competitive in water sports and having recently discovered that I can run, I’ve been very encouraged and motivated with how my times have come down in correlation to the hard work that I’ve put in. I never (in a million years) believed that I could run and I never used to enjoy running because every time I tried to make it round the block I’d literally feel like a “fish out of water” gasping for air because as a swimmer I was more at home in the water than on dry land.

When my coach lost interest in me when I peaked at age 10 in the pool and told me I’d become fat, I turned my hand to other water sports finding it was easier to float in the water than to run!  I tried running many times to keep my weight down but it was such a struggle mentally and I battled with stitches every time I ran so I’ve always associated running with an endless negative cycle of dieting, binging, and exercising and failing to look as slim as a super model!!

Going through list of water sports I discovered triathlons 12 years ago and after years of falling apart in the final run leg as all the RUNNERS came flying past me, I finally came to the realisation, with the help of a few comments from other people, that I just wasn’t built or born to be a runner. I came very close to giving up but something rose up inside of me wanting to prove people wrong.

I joined a local running club (Larkfield A.C.) in January 2010 where I wanted to join years before but I falsely believed that I had to be a fit and fast runner first so I wouldn’t be left behind. That very first club run I STILL gasped for air as I tried to hang on to the group for dear life because I didn’t want to hold them up. It was still a struggle to join them every week initially and often I’d arrive at the club and then drive home because I didn’t believe I’d be able to make the full distance.

It’s coming up to 3 years since I joined the club and you wouldn’t believe my change of heart… I’ve grown to love my running MORE SO for the lovely friends I’ve made at my running club and the weekly chats that last all the way round (I don’t even notice the distance I’m chatting so much!). I’m running regularly because I ENJOY IT and I WANT to go for runs. Boy I’ve changed image. I’m also finding I want to eat healthily to fuel my running and mind because I feel so grumpy if I’m eating junk. It’s such a positive turnaround. I also love the buzz and comradery of fellow runners at races who “get you” when your dear sweet non-running friends don’t, not to mention the greatest reward of seeing my times come down the more I run.

Comments

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

I’ve managed to get my marathon times down from 4:00 (VLM 2010 “Restoring Hands”) to 3:29 (Edinburgh 2011), then to 3:15:01 (VLM 2012 “Hearing Dogs for Deaf People”) by making up my training on a daily basis fitting it in around a busy work life as a vet and I’d love to see how close I could get to the BIG 3:00 with a proper training program, professional coaching and people positively spurring me on. Unlike my swimming I refuse to believe that I’ve “peaked” so I’d love to see how far I can go with a positive outlook and hence I’m in the PB Hunter group.

I would love your support and vote so if you’ve enjoyed reading my story here’s the link to our PB Hunter voting page where you can also meet the other PB finalists. xox CaroT Link to PB Hunters' Voting Page

• Go Caroline, great runner and a lovely person, you deserve to win this, backing you all the way x

• Caroline, you are a great inspiration to a lot of your friends, so much more than you know. We may joke, but we joke with you not at you. Well done for your progress so far & I wish you all the best. I'm voting for you!

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

WOW Derek! That really means a lot to me! Thank you for all your support and for always pushing me at the Monday Sweatshop runs! You can be here too next yearimage

• i share the same determination and inspiration you do caroline i wont give up just like your self you and lacs coments lift me sky high ever week im so pleased for you just go out there next spring and smash it !! we all know your capable xx

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Scott we've all seen such a massive +ve change in you and I struggled to overtake you last night, you were just cruising up that hill! You've done / doing so well. Keep up the PB's in the Park Runs xox

• Caroline, your story is such an inspiration to everyone.  You are such a lovely person, always encouraging others in their goals yet always quiet in your own acheivements and PB's (unlike me!!)  With your determination and dedication in everything you do, I am sure you will acheive your dream of a 3hr marathon.  You so deserve to be one of the Runners World 5  You have got my vote xx

• Caro............you said you followed last years threads........what stopped you joining in and posting on them and becoming a regular posting when you enjoyed themimage

• What an honest, open and inspiring story Caroline. You have such motivation and drive, yet one of those runners who just deliver amazing runs and results all in your stride and in a very modest way. You deserve this chance to really reach your potential, which I'm sure is 3hrs (or sub!) Your swimming coach who should be ashamed of themself let you down, but now through this great opportunity you have the chance to right a wrong! You have my vote and all my support. Go girl! Xx
  • CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Hi seren nos, nice to meet you image. Last year I signed up to receive RW weekly marathon newsletters ((and weekly triathlon training and weight loss newsletters!!)) by email and that's where the Target 26.2 really caught my attention. I guess I didn't see the links to the forum followings in my quick reading through the emails to get to the meaty stuff of exactly how the 5 were getting on. Now that I know a few of you already, I hope that I will be able to make valuable contributions to the forums and encourage others no matter the final voting outcome.

• Wow Caroline! What a progression in your marathon times! Very impressive! image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi Caro. thanks for the post, it was great to meet so many inspirational runners last friday. Its a shame we cant all go to Paris! But having met everyone I'm up to support whoever gets through.

Can't believe your coach was so mean to you! You show him girl!

• Hi Caro, you've gone from strength to strength in the short time we've known you and always encouraging to others. So you go for it girl, you've certainly got our vote and we know you can beat that 3:00 hr mark. We look forward to following the next part of your story. See you at the next run P & Fx

• Hi, I hope your campaign is going well. I've only just realised that you have 5 in your group. Good luck, it was lovely to meet you last week.
  • CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Thanx RRR, jenf, and SO4!! I'm so pleased to see that all of your campaigns are going really well.

Thanx also to you too P B and F B! You two are such great ambassadors for road running in Kent and always ever so friendly, and always with some friendly banter thrown in too! Long may we all run xox

• I have a friend who says that too, he adds it to the bottom of all his emails, it's nice
  • Morning

todays question

what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forumsimage

• You intro was really interesting and you remind me of how I was about 4 years ago, looking at what you've written it is great progression.  Do you race other distances and what times have you set?  Also what is your training like at the moment?

• Caroline - you certainly have my vote.  I am confident you will reach your goal in the near future, based on your current form as you are clearly still improving.  Remember, Jane took up running at age 32 and was running her pbs at age 45.  She made it to 3.02 in the London Marathon.  You can do even better and then you'll be the pride of our village !!

• For anyone who doesn’t know Caroline, I would just like to say that she would be a very deserving winner of an Asics Target 26.2 Paris marathon place. Caroline is not only a fantastic runner who has gone from strength to strength, but above all she is also a lovely person. I met her when she first joined our running club in 2010, back then she really did doubt her own abilities; I guess the negative comments years back made her feel that she would never be a good runner. Then over the last couple of years something happened, her runs were getting faster and faster and little by little she finally started to believe in herself. Despite being one of the fastest ladies in Kent now, Caroline remains humble and is always quick to congratulate everyone else after a race and slow to reveal her own achievements. She is a great ambassador for running, showing that anyone can start off as a beginner only to improve beyond recognition a few years later. With the right training schedule and goals, I have no doubt that she will rise to even greater things in the future. image

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Guys I am in absolute tears at the moment!!! Abi, Rob, PJ, Lady Lark and everyone else... thank you so much for your lovely words. At the end of the day, it is friends (and family) that count the most in life!

Seren nos and Choisty, I'm trying to compose myself before I reply to your posts image

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

Seren nos: what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forumsimage

Seren nos...

What I hope to gain from the forums...

From the above comments I have ALREADY (only in the past 48hrs) gained so much encouragement. I have just been completely BLOWN AWAY from all the lovely comments AND I am so pleased that I seem to have made a difference to and impacted the lives of my friends and fellow running community image

What I think I can give to the forums...
    I've discovered a great passion for writing more and more so over the past few years... so you won't be getting any one word answers from meimage. I started a training log right from my very first New Years resolution run in January 2010... (remind me to copy it here one day) where I thought I was going to die!! I love being honest and real in my training logs and I hope to share that with all of you. As a life time athlete in NUMEROUS sports I feel I have so much to offer in my advice, but I've never been sure if anyone's really wanted to listen before xox

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭
    Choisty wrote (see)

Do you race other distances and what times have you set?  Also what is your training like at the moment?

Hi Choisty. I was MOST nervous following you last year because I TOO was aiming for a UK Championship qualifying time for the 2013 London Marathon. My goal was to gain it through the Paddock Wood 1/2 Marathon (1 April 2012) and I was THRILLED to achieve that goal by finishing in 1:29:06.

I've had a very long (January to October) road running seasion where my 2ND goal was to see how far I could make it up the Kent Grand Prix series ladder this year. After MANY different distance (5M, 10km, 10M, 1/2 Marathon, 20M, Marathon) races over the year I've ended 3rd overall (probably because I did most of the races image).

From the above results and a long road running season, I've been treating myself to taking it easy recently before I start my Marathon (Paris image? London?) training. I have been doing the local Kent Fitness League Cross Country races recently so that's been keeping me on my toes.

I know that I know that when I set my heart on a goal, I am very focussed as I like to see how far I can push myself. I've learnt that REST is VERY important, and especially if I am going to be committing myself 110% to a 16 week training program, I want to be fresh physically and mentally image

• Congratulations on your time and qualifying, it is much harder for the half than for the full (I've still got 66s to find).  I too race in a league (Hants) and the hardest thing last year was putting that on the back burner, it felt like I was letting my club mates down by not racing when I was fit...but in the end it was worth it and the 1,000+ miles, injury and illness to cross the line with the time I wanted.

Looking at your powerof10 you are very consistent and your rate of improvement is cracking, so I think you will beat 3hrs, I've just voted for you so I hope you do it in Paris! image

What sports did you float about with, as I'm the same I don't think there is a sport that I haven't played competitively!

• I only met you last week and I can second whats been said above, you are such a lovely, friendly and honest person. Im so glad, and lucky to have met you image

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Oh wow thanx Choisty and Sarah!!!! I started off with competitive swimming as you know, I then participated in surf lifesaving for YEARS - I loved that!!... and I even did some practise rescues jumping out of a helicopter into the sea, some fresh water life saving, a very little synchronised swimming at school image, K1/K2 kayaking racing, rowing, triathlons, and a little surfing, water skiing and fishing for fun. In case you were wondering I grew up in South Africa which is a little warmer image. I found the beaches weren't quite the same when I moved here years ago so that was another reason why I took up running!

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Oh yeah some hockey at school in winter... I was never running fit so my lungs were always on fire as I ran after the ball.

• I was in Kenya this year...the waters were amazing and warm, nothing like in Europe. I dont even dare to take a dip in the seas around england or other european countries, far too cold!

• Your times are amazing! Sure you'll do well in this, and marathon time definately achievable, especially with a base like that.

Are all South Africans the same- trying every sport known, and trying 110% at those- the ones I met in Sydney were exactly like you (but a bit hairier and less pretty image)