Vote Mel first timer

Wow....how amazing....what an incredible experience!!!....Bootcamp was great but this is just fab!!!!

Thought I would share a bit more about myself other than the 150 words we had to submit.

I have 3 teenage daughters, the hormones rocket in our house at times, hence the fact I love to go out on long runs where no one can get hold of me!!!....My husband passed away recently and running is what has kept me grounded through my grief. 

I am a team leader at a children's hospice. Its not all doom and gloom and we have a strong focus laughter and living life to the full. Of course we have stressful times, but the amazing support off a strong team is what gets you through. 

Life is short and precious, every moment should be appreciated and lived with laughter and love.

I met amazing people on bootcamp, and am pretty gutted I am in the same catagory as such lovely guys!!!!.....But hey.....its all great and lets just wait and see....!!!!!...

Comments

• You sound like a totally amazing lady and my heart goes out to you!

Why do you want to run a marathon?  image (specifically that distance?  Why not another half for example)

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi Mel, great job you have!

I run sometimes to raise money for my local childens hospice. It's an inspiring place. Good luck to you x

• Hi Mel

you seem to have had a couple of tough years.........

3 teenage daughters image.....the only thing that makes coping with 3 teenage sons is the thought that they could have been girlsimage

you seem to be jumping from a half to a full pretty quickly.....what is your longest run so far and biggest weekly mileageimage

• Hey Mel,

I just wanted to say good luck, it was great to meet you at the bootcamp. Apologies for not saying it sooner but it's taken me a while to get on top of the threads!

Aaron.

• Hi mel,

It was lovely to be in the same group as you at bootcamp, you are such a nice lady with an inspiring story. Good luck in the competition, my vote is with you.

Rosemarie x
  • Hi Mel,  I think of all the inspirational stories i have read during this competition I think yours is the most touching.  I wish you all the best and hope you get to fulfill your running ambitions in Paris.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Mel. You're in a tough group, but I voted for you. Good Luck image.

• What lovely words from you all.....

Yeh its been a tough few years, but you have to just get on with it!!!....and through the pants stuff we have had a lot of laughs too!!!.....

My average weekly milage is between 21 and 30 miles depending on what the week has in store and how hormonal the girls are!!.... My running had shot up over the last 10 weeks as I am running for me now...... as Martin got more poorley I ran less......! Why not another half Sleep bear asked.???.... In a matter of weeks after Martin passed away I was running the Great South, then onto my first half.....I have other halfs coming up, but other than getting PB,s I want more challenges!!!.....I aim to do 4 marathons next year, ( loch ness being one of them...) my first triathlon and Fan Y Big......why not....I can!!!....I have a big space in my life to fill and I figure running challenges are better than huge amounts of alcohol and cake!!!.....

• Fair play to you!  It's a fantastic way to honour his memory! image

• if you have any advice on the loch ness then fire away....notice you have done it already...( sleepy bear) 

• It's a beaut MJ - just don't get caught up in all the dripping about the hill up to Dores (or Foyers I can't remember which) - it's more of a drag than a hill as I remember it! Just do plenty of hill work and you probably won't even notice it. 

And you get a lovely long gentle downhill into Inverness afterwards before you turn back onto the river to the finish. 

The view across the loch will certainly take your mind off the first half of the race! Plus the year I did it - they had little cakes and jaffa cakes at the drinks stops - I had a right old picnic on my way round.

I'm sure you'll have a ball! I hope so anyway!

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Wonderful determination - you have my vote Mel - good luck ...

• Morning

what do you think you can gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forums

• These forum things are new to me.....!!! I've benefited so much just in the few days I have been using it!!.....didnt realise how much I was missing out on...!!...Especially Jens granola recipe!!......I guess you get out of a forum as much as you want to put in...thats the beauty of it....its a partnership between fellow running souls......!!!.....image 

• Makes running to the top of the hill worth it when you look back on where you've just been!!!!....the small dot of a person running in white is my sister who is training for her 36th Marathon having just had a 12 week old baby!!!!...... Go Jade!!!!!......

Hope you have all had a good run today!!!!

• Amazing view. Views like that make the miles ran seem extra special!

I don't think I had the chance to meet you at boot camp. I hope you've been enjoying the voting process so far. Good luck!

• its all a bit scary really!!!!......but no i dont think I met you either...although sure our paths crossed maybe over the lunch line......How are you finding it all???.......oh yes your the amazing Great Wall of China marathon man!!!....

• I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole experience....it's very intense and full-on........but I think I prefer it that way. I think like everybody, I'm in a very tough a group, so we will have to see what happens come Thursday. I'm definitely a less stubborn runner for the experience - and will definitely reach out to those more experienced than me for help.

You wouldn't be calling me amazing if you saw me with my vomit down myself later on in the race!

• It must be catching this running thing......my 14 year old daugther asked to go for her first fun after school....!!!!.....Tired and muddy and smiling....!!!image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Melaniejayne - I don't think I met you at bootcamp but I read your piece and was really touched by it. I too have three teenage daughters (well almost, the twins are 13 in three weeks time).

Our household has been voting for you. You sound an amazing person and I wish you and your three girls the best of luck in everything you do!

Some familiar faces on here as wellimage

• Hi David....I recognise your face.....twin girls..!!!....thats a totally different story!!!.... not suprised you run too!!!!!......At least I have a male dog, but I think hes feeling pretty out numbered now!!!...

Wouldnt it be fab if you got thorugh for your 50th...!!!...Roll on the end of this bit so that we just know one way or another.....

Good luck.......!!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Melanie, what can I say. I feel slightly in awe. To have gone through all that and come through with such positivity - amazing.

What's the name of the hospice you work at and where is it?

Also, what other marathons do you have planned - apart from Paris of course?image

Respect for your comment about not turning to alcohol and cake but with all this running I think you can allow yourself the cake at least!

• malcs - I think we all have choices and we can either go one way or another when things are pants, I guess working in a children's hospice makes me realise how lucky I really am!!....Its Chestnut Tree House near Arundel, and of course I think its a fab place!!!....we have a great team and we have a huge empahasis on enjoying what time we have!!!...

Plans next year as far as marathons.....Stenying Stinger....( my first and apparently the worst... really hilly!!...aghhh) but I have been told if I can do that one I can do anything!!!.....Brighton marathon, lochness and new forrest......also Fany y Big and trail walker.....!!! Wahhhh.....Think i might need to either give up work or the children to fit in the training!!!!......probably the children.....!!

What plans do you have???.......once you have the bug its hard to let go....I used to be a skydiver so Im kind of filling that gap too. I gave it up 2 years ago but Martin kept me busy so didnt really notice how much I missed it......

So what was the tights outcome????......

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Wow that's quite a list - good on you! You've got a great attitude, I have no doubt you'll achieve your goals.

Hmm, my plans look a little lame in comparison. Last year I did a load of races but this year I wanted to focus purely on decimating my marathon time. So for me it'll be just one marathon in April either Paris or Llanelli (for most people Llanelli is the natural second choice to Parisimage)  

Re the tights issue - it was tights over shorts by an overwhelming majority! Very relieved as I had randomly chosen this option hoping it might be the right one. Just glad that it has now been proven by rock solid statistical analysis.

Best of luck for the competition and everything you are planning!

• Best of luck Mel, will be great following your progress if you get through - you have a truly inspiring story and you deserve it image

Let's hope they don't leave us waiting too long for the decision!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Echo Steve Mel, best of luck to you.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

echo that echo image  xx