Vote Steve in First TImer

Comments

• I don't think I've had bacon this year either!

How old are you Steve? If you don't mind me asking - let's test Prof. Ten's hypothesis...

• Please ... tell me Tenjiso's hypothesis isn't right!! Does that mean I need to get all my bacon-eating in now before I get older and go off it?

• RRR - just look on it as a reason to eat as much as possible, guilt-free.  Other reasons include "Oh, I'm just following the Atkins diet for breakfast".

One of my favourite lines from Homer Simpson was when Lisa explained that becoming a vegetarian meant not eating bacon, pork or ham and that they all came from the same animal.  "Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!"

• JOnny Morris will be turning in his grave all this "Animal Magic"......starving give me a bacon sandwich please.

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Steve - I ran 3:49 at Loch Ness (not the easiest of courses) and then have been slower ever since but then of my other 3 maras - 2 have been LAMMs (google it sometime) and then I did Langdale this year (sold as the toughest road mara in the world)!  So I reckon you should be on for quicker than that in Paris!

Mayo with everything except bacon - when it has to be red and the bread deffo has to be buttered! (Oh but apple sauce with chips - don't knock it til you've tried it!!!)

Wow, LAMMs sound absolutely amazing! My sister's husband did a quadrathlon in Scotland recently and loved every minute, so I reckon I could even bring a team along with me!

Apple sauce and chips?? I'll certainly give it a go...!

• Thanks BoDuke, most appreciated - no sound on the work PC so will defo check it out this evening - I have my son round so we can watch it together and see what Daddy might be facing!

• RRR haha I know - me too! I thought entering would make me super-fit... I reckon I'll be spherical come the spring!

• Xyloid hmmm... sounds like rather a cleverly worked out name for someone who claims to be denseimage

Your name kicks ass at Scrabble, too...!

• Tenjiso - you have actually terrified me at the very thought of going off bacon! I'm 31 now - how long do I have left??

But I do appreciate the heartfelt post - you sound like you've lost an old friend.  It's good to talk about these things and, perhaps, with closure will come acceptance...

• mcs - I reckon we're going to create a national shortage. People will be panic-buying it by the weekend, you mark my words

• Not long I reckon - I'm 40 in a couple of months and I can take or leave it....

Best you start having it 4 times a day! image

• Steve - You have the best part of twenty years yet.  However, that twenty years goes by in the blink of an eye.  So sad.  So very, very sad. image

• I can see myself having a mid-life crisis over this any day now...

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

I can see myself having a mid-life crisis over this any day now...

Ah yes.  I remember my first one of those.

xine267 wrote (see)

Good luck Steve! image

Do you think that you'll give running without music a go after the bootcamp experience? (I'm not one of the anti-ipod brigade by the way, I love my running playlists but I don't use them all the time - more when I think I'm going to need an external pick-me-up to get through the run!)  

Thanks xine267 image

Well the plan is to join a running club so definitely yes.

I listen to music on the vast majority of my runs but I do go out every once in a while with no music, watch, smartphone, GPS and just run for the sheer hell of it - I always enjoy the change of pace and just seeing where my body takes me.

But I will still listen to music sometimes! I do find it can motivate me, as you say. I remember a particularly tough training run I really wasn't up for not long before my last half mara and I was seriously flagging around the 2hr mark... and then Eye of the Tiger came on the playlist entirely by chance. I think I actually laughed out loud and sped up and finished the training run on a high image

What sort of things do you listen to? I can't handle really high-tempo stuff as I tend to try to run in time to the music and get knackered!

Haha, it's great when a song like that comes on and just helps you over the last hurdle - I was just winding down a run recently when the 1812 Overture (random!) started playing, made me feel like I had just done something completely amazing and all the canons & fireworks etc were being fired to celebrate image

I seem to have about 528 running playlists with a real mix of stuff but I usually start off with Superstition by Stevie Wonder which has a really good pacing beat to stop me sprinting off too fast. My secret weapon is Rage Against The Machine, I feel invincible when they play.

• I went off bacon in my late teens/early 20s - texture thing (and I read a really lurid article in one of the Sunday Scandal Rags about a serial killer who said that frying up his victims smelled just like cooking bacon image ) but six years later and I've developed a love of it again so maybe the bacon-enjoyment-decline is not inevitable, or can be reversed image It has to be well cooked though, not crispy, but not half raw like some places serve it. Can't stand undercooked bacon.

Have I just put everyone off bacon for life? image

• xine267 wrote (see)

Haha, it's great when a song like that comes on and just helps you over the last hurdle - I was just winding down a run recently when the 1812 Overture (random!) started playing, made me feel like I had just done something completely amazing and all the canons & fireworks etc were being fired to celebrate image

I seem to have about 528 running playlists with a real mix of stuff but I usually start off with Superstition by Stevie Wonder which has a really good pacing beat to stop me sprinting off too fast. My secret weapon is Rage Against The Machine, I feel invincible when they play.

Haha - how many playlists?? I'm clearly talking to a pro...

That's just made me think - I reckon the Dambusters theme would be awesome running music. Totally downloading that when I get home and going out running with my arms outstretched.

ps RATM = a great choice. Lost Prophets always sort me right out image

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

So ... if you don't get into Paris through the thread will you be doing any other marathons this year? Or have you got any other races planned?

RRR whoops, forgot this bit! I entered VLM for 2013... and got a nice shiny rejection magazine... image

My friend emailed the other day with a link to the Tokyo marathon in 2014 - I know it's not next year but... wow! What an experience that would be! Anybody want to come with??

• xine - thanks for sharing!!!!! Eurghhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Hi Steve,

Just wanted to get in touch to say Good Luck, would have done so earlier but damn it's hard to saty on top of all the threads. Kind of wish I could do a Keanu Reeves and plug myself directly in! And in answer to your question I'd love to go to the Tokyo Marathon with you, so long as you're buying the ticket! 

A.

• BoDuke - I just watched the vid from last year... I almost wish I hadn't - I've got so many butterflies in my stomach... I want this so, so, so bad now!

IndyMcQueen - cheers mate, can't believe we're against each other, and Mel as well! And to top that, I was sat next to RunRickyRun in the lecture theatre...

Best of luck to you, Aaron - will follow you all the way if you get it. Although, I will be honest - I have already voted for someone else in your categoryimage See you in Tokyo!

• HaHa, me too! I couldn't believe we were all picked either, what are the odds... About 4/47 I guess!
  • Lol I guess so! Glad we both ended up on the forum - so nice to chat to people all day about running without them yawning in my face... image

so nice to chat to people all day about running without them yawning in my face...

• I kind of walked into that one, didn't I?

what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forumsimage

• Argh Xine267 - just spotted your comment! Noooo! Don't spoil the bacon love!!

• Just read this thread and I'm now blinkin' starvin' cheers how am I suppose to run quick when stuffed with bacon, poached egg on white lightly toasted bread with a dash of fresh ground black pepper red sauce and sprinkling of human flesh???

The show and tell for your kids is great, my daughter loved it.

How did the target of sub-4 come about? what are your other times?