Thames Trot 50 Training

Comments

• Chin up Lemony, I'm sure you'll get it back soon, it takes a while to get over these things. There always seems to be someone coughing at work at the moment. I went away to meet my family for a pre-xmas dinner at the weekend, and half of them were at it too. I feel like it's only a matter of time for me!

• lemony dont worry!! i havnt really run since druids 4 weeks ago as ive had umpteen things on my plate-so you are not alone!!

• Maybe you just need a break... A few days off will be ok.

Or Tell someone at work you are running tomorrow morning before work and ask them to ask you about it! I find it helps a lot if i know someone will ask me!! Agree the cold and dark is hard to get out, but once out its prety much always nice isnt it, and if its not, well come home early and at least you got out.

But if you are really finding it impossible to get up get lots of sleep, think of it as a rest week or fortngiht and know that the itch will come back. You still have time.
  • Hey Loulabell, same here, not really run since Druids, couple of parkruns and a 10k and that't it. For some reason having serious motivation issues, I've been busy at work - but that was never an excuse before. Got a Marathon coming up in a few weeks time, so hoping that will kick-start me. 

• I managed my usual morning nine miler thus morning, despite the heavy snowfall. It was cold but pretty and I really enjoyed it. Looks like you're all right - a short break has done me good.
  • laura,i dont have the option of running before work, and often i dont have the option of running after , weekends are hit and miss too. it has to be squashed in around everything else .  

hi stefkirl! i have a mara in 2 weeks also so i guess we had better motivate each other-think i may get a chance this weekend to run as my daughter is at a sleepover

• Progress with my ankle! No longer worrying about potential stress fracture; think it's posterior tibial tendon/muscle related. Managed a 30-mins run yesterday (uncomfortable for the last 5 mins or so), then got my husband to massage it before going to Pilates in the evening, and it's feeling a lot better. Hope to try 40 mins with the club this evening, and if that's okay, maybe a longer run at the weekend.

Probably won't have done me any harm to rest for a week or so, for the first time in 18 months...

• What mara are you doing in a fortnight then LLB?

• Good news about the ankle Debra. Following eighteen months straight training, a break won't do you any harm at all. I'm definitely feeling better for a few mornings in bed instead of running (mentally speaking at least).
  • Evening all... These things are set to try us I guess, with injuries (glad to hear healing D) and life/work/home business. I had a rubbish week last week, only making 3 x 1 hr in the end (due to work mainly), but this week going better and managed to find time to do a 26.2 today which felt ok so I'm feeling more confident. Hopefully the Portsmouth Coastal 50k** in 2 weeks will reassure me I can at least make the start line for TT. I know I should ideally run tomorrow but I suspect I won't, will see

**PC50k is a select race, and I am currently the only entrant, as far as I know, the rest of the slackers are only doing 26.2image
  • NID: Good luck for the 50K  -sounds like fun and I wish I could join you.

Ankle is progressing slowly - managed a sedate 40 minutes with the club yesterday (did NOT go with the fast group). Some discomfort but less than Tuesday. My husband massaged it again for me afterwards, and I'm hopefully getting a proper sports massage on Friday. Really hope the pace of healing will increase soon, as I have Winter tanners two weeks before TT and then of course TT itself.

Hope everyone else's training is going more according to plan than mine is!

• Still no running for me, it's been about a month now. It's going to be a tight squeeze to get ready in time. I'll have forgotten how to run if I don't get back on the trails soon.

• I entered this  ages ago and have been panicking since/ Have had loads of issues wih training/injury/fmily etc, but reading previous posts seems this is the norm for this event.

Hoping that previous long distance event experience will see me through, although this is much longer than previous long run event(32miles).

Legs seem recovered now though and lookm forward to seeing you all on the day.

• Good to see that people injuries are healing and mojo's are starting to return.

Tiago - when can you start running again?

Currently my training is going o.k, though like everyone else I am unable to stick ridgedly to a plan. I adapt as neccesary and try to do the long runs as much as possible.

Going out to Reykjavik today, so not much running planned for the next few days. Though I have packed my gear, just in caseimage

NID - good luck with the 50k!

• imagetiago thats you and me both then!! maybe we will have to drag ourselves to the Ridgeway one weekend for a slow amble to remind ourselves of this'running' thing we are meant to do!

• I managed my first longer-than-marathon-distance run yesterday (27 miles). Feeling very chuffed with myself (even if the plan had been to do quite a few of those in training). Can I officially call myself an ultra runner now?   image

• Lemony: well done on completing your first "Fat Ass" run! Yes, you're an ultra runner now!. image

Managed about 17.5 miles yesterday, mostly trail. Ankle hurt afterwards but back to mild discomfort by this morning. Hoping to do short to medium runs Tue/Wed/Thur and then, if all is well, a proper long run at the weekend - and if my ankle is okay with that, a 10-12 miler the next day, which would give me my first B2Bsince the middle of November.

• I've got to do either a B2B or another proper long run this weekend. Can't quite make my mind up yet, though it may depend on how busy and/or tired I am. Then I'm planning a really long run (around 35 miles) for the New Year's weekend with a longish run the weekend after. Hopefully that will be enough to get me through this 50 miler in one piece!

• Sounds like a great plan! I didn't go over about 30 miles in one run in training for my first 50 -miler (well, 32 if you count the London Ultra 50K in February, which all the Garmins clocked as 32 rather than 32 miles), but I did B2B the 25+ mile runs with 10-12 the next day. I have the Winter Tanners (30 miles LDWA Challenge) on 20th January, so that will be my last long run before TT50.

Wondering whether I'll be able to go over on 13th and recce the part that goes away from the Thames.

• Have been doing a few B2Bs, 27 then 13 milers.  The 27 feel v hard, but the 13 not too bad!  I need to find somewhere else not tooooo hilly to do the v long runs, that is not the K&A canal path, of which I've now seen a lot!  Not too hilly is v difficult in Bath.  Please noone suggest the Bath Half route image

• Sounds like everyone is getting on well! Glad to hear the ankle is healing Debra. I have the Portsmouth Marathon on Sunday (forecast terrible!) which I'm still planning on doing as a 50k, then hopefully a slack week after that, then a 30 miler on Sat 12th Jan then a taper after. I might try and B2B after the long runs, should be do-able, but will wait and see... Feeling under-prepared but much better than this time last year when I was definitely not ready (and DNS'd).
  • Does anyone stay the night before near the start at Iffley?  Any local hotel/B&B recommendations?  Or is it better to organise it a different way?  I can't get there on the train at that time of the morning very easily though.....

• I stayed here last year - the single room is cheap and basic, but fine, they did me a breakfast tray as I was leaving early, it was about a mile walk to the start

http://www.oxford-acorn.co.uk/

I parked in Henley on the evening before and then took the train to Oxford. There is a free car park on Mill Lane, about half a mile hobble from the finish, park next to the finish is pay and display.

• Thanks for the reminder - we must book a B&B!

• This is your best bet for a single room (if they have any available):

http://www.hawkwellhouse.co.uk/

It's notactually  that basic but the single rooms are cheaper than any of the B&Bs around, and it's very close to the start.

• Have booked Hawkwell, thanks ????

I think I went there for dinner once on a course.

Will look to share a taxi back from Henley maybe if anyone else finishes roughly same time. Don't ask me what that will be though!!!
  • My partner will (hopefully) be picking me up from Henley and we can offer a lift back to Oxford to one person who finishes roughly the same time. I've also no idea when that will be though!

• That's weird - did the last post on the phone and it put in ???? instead of the emoticon! I am pleased with Hawkwell image

Thanks for the lift offer - will look out for a yellow citrus fruit image

• I was just going to walk to the start (an extra 1.5 miles - I hope I don't regret that!) and catch the train back to Oxford. I know I'm going to fancy a beer at the finish and driving won't be so clever image

Training seems to be going OK. My right achilles, which was grumbling a bit after Challenge Roth this summer, is still doing the same. But I've managed a few weeks of 50 miles or so with a +20 miler each Saturday. No idea whether this is enough, but looking at the state of the towpath up here, maybe I should be training in wellies. Gonna do a few recce runs along the later sections of the route over xmas and the new year.