Running Every Day

About me: 20 Y/O, Average height, slim

I haven't been happy with my level of fitness for a while, so I decided to start running last month.  I went to a cycle track which is near to my home, switched on my Ipod and started running.  It felt great...for a while, and then I 'had to' stop and start walking, because I felt exahausted after about 1km.  I walked the the rest of the distance I had planned and back despite feeling like I was going to throw up.  I went back out the next day and ran just under 4km.  The run back was very hard, but I was pleased to push through.

So, I've been doing pretty much the same run every day I can, sometimes twice a day.  I haven't been able to run on the track the past few days, because of ice everywhere.  Tonight, however, the ice had seemed to have to cleared up, but I was dissapointed to find that the track was still covered in ice.  I decided to go on a road run instead, though.  I ran 11.3km in an hour and 6 minutes, which was surprising. 

Anyway, I really enjoy training, but I've been wondering if running every day, or at least 6 days per week, is a bad thing?  The thing is, I do a tough full body circuit 3-4 times a week, and a some fairly light core training every other day, and I've been wondering if it will catch up on me?

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes there is the possibility that something might get pulled. However, your general conditioning is; by the sound of it, already well advanced.

Runners who are new to the activity can quite often advance quickly in performance.

Its easy to get carried away without realising it takes time (18 months) for all the structures of the body to adapt to the loading. Heart and lungs adapt fastest.

If you can curb your enthusiasm for a few months and avoid injury, you may develop into one of those 'bullet proof' runners who never get injured.

If you never get injured, you can become quite good.

🙂

• I'd run every other day if I were you. Gives your body a chance to recover.
  • So would I - remember your knees especially take one hell of a pounding when you run.

Sounds like you do loads of other stuff as well, so I'd definitely not run every day.  image