Vote Martin H aka Reginald

Who knew I would get to this stage, especially after I nearly broke the Gait Analysis Machine at Boot Camp, here I have given my introduction to Martin H, AKA Reginald.

Running started for me in late 2003 as I had managed to get a place in the LM 2004, as usual in these cases my mates laughed at me and said I couldn’t do it. I finished that one in just under 5hrs, but I knew I could do better and had caught the bug.

In 2005, after a successful ballot application, I got training and was over the moon with 4hr 16mins, but something inside me said I could do sub 4hrs. This target was to wait though as I met my future wife and we set about life together and starting a family, I still ran races but not the big one until 2011. This time I had done more training and thought I was on for 4hrs ish, but my knees fell apart at 18miles and I struggled across the line at 4hr17mins.

I joined a running club in late 2005 and have never looked back, I enjoy running in a group and the camaraderie. It really spurred me on to challenge myself, and I started entering more local races and got a real buzz from competing. I say competing but I have never really classed myself as a serious runner, my 10k best time is 49mins 48secs and this was after last years marathon so I just went for it. I like to challenge myself and always want to put a race on the calendar for something to aim at.

I am a strong believer in you will never know what you can achieve until you stretch yourself to breaking point. I think that’s why I entered this competition as I think I will be pushed and pulled to find my maximum and I assure you I will fully embrace it with my whole self. Who wouldn’t.

Thinking about what I should say about me to all on the forum, think its best for a summary, however, I will start by saying that my family are the most important thing in my life, my wife, Sophie, and my two sons, Isaac and Ben are the best things that have happened to me. Here are a few more thoughts:

Goonies, Cider, Lego, The Grizzly Run, Elf, Harry Potter, AC/DC, New Trainers, Cycling, Rugby, Tae Kwon Do, Hill Training, Work, Fundraising for Charity, Mumford and Sons, Lee Evans, Mrs Browns Boys, Pasties, Sweets.

Peeves:

Cold Calling (I have a tip for when people call), People who drive to close behind me, Paperwork, Cross Bars on mens bikes, Button Flies, Weak Tea, Stupid Parking – If its double yellows don’t complain if you’ve got a ticket, The Tweenies, Sprouts, Chuggers.

I am sure there are more but space is limited.

I will be 38 on the 7th April 2013, and would be very humbled with the opportunity to run at the Paris Marathon to celebrate.

Comments

• Hi.......welcome to the party.why so late with the thread ????

right my question....what do you think you can get out of the forums and what do you think you can give to the forumsimage

• Hi Seren, Thank you for your comment, I was starting to feel left out of the party.. 

I do struggle with time, although I have managed to get a way to access at work so that might help.  Wednesday was manic for and couldn't find the time to sit a write my piece above.

I have to admit forums do scare me a little, in the time since I have posted I have found myself constantly checking to see if someone has commented! Although I have now asked a question on another thread that has been bugging me for a while, so I am opening up. You'd have thought this would be easy for me to do in my line of work, but I think the written word can hide the person behind.

As to what I can give, once I get started I don't think I will stop, I do have a wicked sense of humour, which I hope won't come accross in the wrong way. I met some great people on BC, malc, shady Ady, clive and RunnyRunRun, to name a few. I do have a passion for running as I think not using the forums has been a missed opportunity to find out more.

Seren what does the pirate symbol mean next to your name? Seems appropriate as my 3 year old has gone to nursery today as a pirate.

• Hi Reg

the pirate symbol just relates to the triathlon side of runnersworld..this set up from RW about 7 or so years ago........to go from nothing to Ironmen in less than a year and the yellow and black skull and cross bones became the outfit that is worn......

started as a laugh and a pisstake .but it grew so that by now hundreds of us have joined the bandwagon and become Ironmen........and it broadened to include anyone who wanted to test themselves at any triathlon distance........

not all of them have the symbol on here but  alot do........

so anyone who wants to know more about PSOF   http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/

• seems like my linking isn't working at the momentimage

• I will take a look as I am rather interested in Ironman.

For some reason I thought that rather than a tattoo, sports car, or affair for my mid life crisis I would attempt a Ironman.  I'm planning on this in my 40th year, 2015

• i was over 40 before i heard of it but its definitely a life changer for meimage

• I've had a look at the website and have now got it bookmarked for the idea to develop into a definate possibility. I think I would like to tone as it does state that the athletes don't take themselves too seriously

Not sure i'm ready for Ironman yet as my swimming involves doing depths not lengths.

• Hi Reg. How are you? Enjoying the Target262 process so far? Sorry I've only just now managed to check out your page. It was nice meeting you at boot camp. I like your posts where you add a bit of humour so if you make the last 5 I hope they continue!

Why do you think you fell apart at 18 miles? Did you meet the wall? Do you think joining a running club will be an instrumental reason when you break 4 hours, which I'm sure will be in your next Marathon.
  • Cheers Ady thanks for your comment, I think we really had a great group of peps on the BC, and great meeting you and the others.

I think my knees went as about 4 weeks before LM  I completed the Grizzy 20mile and didn't recover properly. I am also not sure my training plan was targetted right. I do think that a running club is a key in getting a better runner, but not necessaryily instrumental.  I'm pretty sure that I can break 4 hours with the right training and support (mainly the reason for entering this competition).

As for the process I think its ok, I was a bit concerned with the Forum bit as I have not been a prolific poster in the past. But now appreciate that it is an untapped resource for information and advice that I should have used and ask for a long time ago.

• Evening Reginald! So have you got any other races planned for 2013? And if you don't get through to Paris will you go for another marathon next year? Which one appeals?

• Have a reserve place for Brighton, so will have to start training at the same time as the lucky 5, if not part of it.

Im liking the forum six as I like the appeal of one to one mentoring. Think it would give a more personal touch to the training, and beginning to realize there is a here amount of knowledge on here.
  • Nice! I've never run Brighton but have been support for friends and family who have ... in my pre-running lardy days! image

The forum 6 has a really nice group of mentors and it seems really friendly!

p.s. Why are you on the loo in your profile pic?

• Your the third person to say that, might have to change it.
  • Hee hee! Just kidding! But what *are* you doing in the pic! Nice to have an interesting photo, mind ... image

• I was just coming down the stairs, my eldest was taking pictures and took the opportunity. He was just two and a half at the time, and asked me to do somepinckt!!!!
  • I think your photo stands out for that reason...its a talking point, I would leave it! image

• Honesty time I think. I'm not entirely sure that I am on a Plateau!

I originally entered this competition as I saw it an amazing way of getting the advice and support to get me to my personal goal. The main problem I have is getting the training in, but with the support of my family and a more specific training programme, I suppose the real question is, could I go under 4 without this comp?

I really enjoyed the marathons (Only 3) I have completed and I am sure that I can go under 4 hours. In fact I was sure that I could do this last year, but the training was not spot on. And running the Grizzly really did not help!  I mainly enter one to challenge myself and as Ady states at boot camp 'I run so I can eat more'.

My original entry was around my lifestyle and fitting everything in, when the categories were anounced I was a bit surprised to see I was put in this one, but hey thats not my decision. Or it could be that all the baldies are together. It will happen Ady, it happens to all great men!!!

I am over the moon to get this far and have really taken some great advice from the BC day and from the forum.  I would honestly be really humbled to win and would ensure all that I would put my all into it. (and what a great way of celebrating my birthday)

• Ooh! When's your birthday? Mine was yesterday! Hooray for December birthdays!! image

It sounds like you're in a good category and it sounds as though could definitely go sub-4 with the training from the experts ... and the feedback from the forums!

Have you got any good pics from recent races?

• Birthday is April 7th!  Sorry - Happy Birthday for yesterday. Hangover?

I will look for some photos but most seem to be me either going to or coming from the toilet!!

• Martin- thought your post on DS2's page very true. I hope it doesn't all come down to the 'public' vote, but we will see...

(You got mine anyway image)

• hey Clive and Reg, RW said that the final decidion comes down to them and the ASICS team, so I wouldnt worry image

• Reginald - Like the other guys have said it's all down to the RW Towers team. The voting has been fun but I don't know how much it really influences things. image

• Hey guys thank you,  I remember reading at the start that the vote is only part of the process, but you have to admit that it has been a rather strange week so far. Checking e-mail to see who has posted and if anyone has asked a question or not.

• He is a photo of my run yesterday to cheer it up a bit

/members/images/263237/Gallery/Picture3.png

• Martin

good luck  Anybody thats done the Grizzley gets my vote 

• Thank you for your vote.

Gutted I can't do it next year, best and at the same time worst race you can do. Blimey love it.

You done it?

• entries opened at 5pm went on line at 6.10pm and entries had closed race for full and cub. the event sold out within one hour lots of runners from local clubs in the grizzly area gutted at not getting a pace.  I hope the next 48 hours are n t to nerve racking for you and what will be will  but good luck and best wishes