Headache after long run

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but after I complete a long run I suffer with strong headaches. The most recent example was last sunday after the Full Monty Cute 10Mile. I am very careful to ensure I drink enough without drinking too much, but maybe I need to take on more water.

To relieve the pain I normally take Iburprofen, which I understand is not the best for recovery, but it seems the only way to carry on with the day.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but have resisted for some reason. 

Comments

• Yes I used to get these too. They generally boil down to dehydration plus lack of salts and minerals lost though sweating........

I'd never recommend downing too much water after a long run without something salty & sugary. A huge mug of weak tea or a pint of weak warm cordial, four custard creams and a bag of Walkers salt and shake within 30 mins of finishing a long run works a treat.......no headaches nowadays; even after races with this routine!

• Thank you Jamie. Is it just custard creams?

I have been using the For Goodness Shakes powders, but think I have not been taking in enough salts post race.  Someone did mention that it might be tension in my upper back.

• I always find orange juice and doritos work wonders after a long run!

As for during, you can make your own rehydration drink quite cheaply, The formula is:

1 pint water
    3-4 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp table salt.
    1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

(although i find my stomach doesnt like the bicarb sometimes so i might leave it out)

• Hi,

Do you get achy or tight shoulders after a long run?  Tight muscles in your upper back can create tension in your neck muscles, which could cause headaches.  Dehydration and/or lack of salts in the muscles will make it worse.   

Deep tissue Massage or Cranio-sacral Therapy can help.

• Hi Runners Therapist

I do get tight shoulders, this could be my posture when I run, I haven't really taken any advice on it. After the responses above it seems to be a combination of the two.

Thank you all for your help