Options

Macmillan Runners in VLM

Hi all, donning the green for Macmillan again in next year's VLM. Got my linky thing through this morning and signed up in a copuple of micro seconds. Sorry not to get in on the ballot but always happy to raise dosh for my favourite charity.
Would love to hear from other Macrunners, talk through training, food, support travel, accommodation. Highs and Lo's too as well as fundraising activity. Hopefully will be a busy thread as it's such a big and such a cracking team. Will be going up to the Meet the Experts Weekend on 2/3rd Feb so perhaps some of us could meet up there.
Hope to catch up soon. image

Comments

• Options

Good morning all. I'll post every couple of days for a couple of weeks to keep this live and if no interest will bin.
    Things done so far: Set up justgiving and virginmoney web pages, organised a curry night to help with the sponsorship, started researching hotels and travel...now about some training!

• Options

Got the all clear at the quack's yesterday so can officially start training for VLM 2013. With one of the biggest teams in the VLM it would be good to catch up with some other Macrunners. Is there anyone else registered yet?

• Options

Clearly not many RW Macmillan Runners around yet. I'll pop a couple of more posts this week and then tap on the head until Dec.

• Options

Resurrected for one final call...any more Macrunners out there!

• Options

I shall almost certainly raise money for Macmillan again next year but haven't actually done anything as yet - it's a little early for me!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

I'm running for Macmillan, but got in with a deferred entry due to injury this year on the applied 5 times rule. I feel slightly guilty now as I tend to think the fact I'm running 26.2 should be enough to make people donate...

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why do you feel guilty?
  • Options

Simon, welcome on board...I take it you have opted to run for Macmillan rather than Golden Bond? You'll get great support all the way through from the team at the Embankment. Pasta Party is usually good too. Is this your first mara?

• Options

Millsy - As others do more than just run to raise money. oh well...

Tinselcelt - Yes no bond place for me. This is 3rd, hoping to break -4, 4hr 14 min in Valencia last month, need to up the training!

• Options

Plenty of time Simon...if you can, mix it up with some 5/10/halves betwen now and April to up the speed and enjoy the difference. Keep us posted

• Options

Simon - I don't feel guilty about it! With your own place every penny you raise is extra for the charity and to be honest I would find having to raise a minimum amount very stressful. I do quite a lot of races and VLM is the only one I raise money with - mostly because if people know that you're running it they usually ask 'who are you raising money for' - which makes it a bit easier. Last year I just set up a Virgin money page and let my work colleagues, family and friends know that it was there then sold my t-shirt and medal and donated the proceeds which raised over £500 in total. Not a lot but every little counts and none of the Macmillan supporters asked how much I'd raised, just thanked me for my efforts.

• Options

Echo that. Virgin and justgiving pages both good ideas and carry a sponsor form wherever you go. Hot tip: Get the money up front...it's harder to get after than running the blinking raceimage

• Options

First long run of the campaign yesterday - 17 miles in the bank.

• Options

12.5 Saturday and 8 Sunday for me...might get above 13 by Christmasimage

• Options

One more shout out for Macmillan VLM runners! Anybody there! Hope to see some of you in Feb. Trip worth making if you are a Golden Bond Runner as it's free and worth £20 if you're not!

• Options

I really must register with them and set up that Virgin Money page, was waiting to ensure I was still sound after Sunday's half but as that didn't happen there's no excuse now - other than this yuck weather of course - 17 miler on Monday felt much harder!

• Options

I'm glad your training is up to speed LMH...still to get to 13.1+

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a bit late coming to the party but I've just found this thread and as I'm running for Macmillan too I thought I'd give it a gentle shake to see if anyone is still around?

Another survivor here just happy to be still above ground never mind running a marathon.
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Welcome Stilts....are you going to the pasta party before or to the recovery centre afterwards? What time are you aiming for? Hope all is going well with the training and good luck on the day. Enjoy the experience

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Thanks ... No to the pasta party and yes to the recovery centre. I'm hoping for under 5 hours - first marathon so anything can happen! What about you? Good luck to you too, I'll wave to everyone in the green vest!
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

There will be several hundred of us, so I'm surprised not more on the forum here or on Macsite. Recovery centre is fantastic. I'll be the one with the Olympic torch if you want to say hello!

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Cool!! Well I will def look out for you and I might have to ask to hold your torch (ok I'm sure you've had all the jokes so I won't ... image )

I'm a bit tall and lanky, wearing a grey cap, hopefully my name - Kate - on vest if the letters turn up, I think you'll be well ahead of me but if you see me give me a push!

Can't wait, just hope it lives up to the hype
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Don't worry...it always does.

• Options

Hey MacMillan runners. Best of luck to you all. If you're still in the final, nervy days of planning, work your way through this and have a great race.

http://natrun.co.uk/london-marathon-checklist/

I'll be on an Oxfam cheers station looking like a hairier version of my forum photo. Hope you all have a good one,

Lee

• Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Thanks Lee...which mile marker should we look out for you?

• Options

I haven't been allocated yet, though I'm hoping for Cutty Sark, failing that, Tower bridge.

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lee.

I have a cold, and a touch of ITBS, so not so much of a taper as a complete halt - but I've done the miles and am feeling relaxed about it. If there's a good time to get the lurgy then now is the time and its quite a welcome distraction tbh and it's not like I'm trying to win the flippin' thing after all image

Let us know where you end up so we can give an extra wave