Saturday 9th December 2012

First foray into lyricdom follows:

I hear the ticking of the clock
I'm lying here the room's pitch dark

One of my all time favourite torch songs.
Hope all are set for a good weekend and runners/racers enjoy the run.
What: Moreton Morrell Christmas Cracker
Why: Coz I signed up for it
Last Hard: Friday's core session (Mistake)
Last Rest: Thursday
Report back later

Comments

• Lyrics? Nope, even though I listened to it on U-Tube. You're clearly half my age. Or at least you are more up to date...you wouldn't have got the Pink Floyd track I'd chosen.

Saturday will be bike mayhem (AM), and Tri Team Christmas Party.(Eve).

I dunno, it's probably bed time. Catch up laters.

• Have a good one Straycelt!

Hope there aren't too many sore heads this morning.

Enjoy the ride and the party Blisters.

GGG - hope fully you'll be able to bag some mulled cider and breakfast after your parkrun.

Bike this morning for me too but haven't yet decided if I'm brave enough to face the elements or will shelter in the garage.

What:             long bike or turbo
    Why:              I'm supposed to be a triathlete
    Last hard:      2/12
    Last rest:       1/12

Lyrics - vaguely familiar but not a 'yes'.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Lyrics - with and without the google, not. This really isn't my sort of thing. Blisters you're right, punk was never my thing, though there was a lot of good music which emerged from it, most notably Clash, Tourists, Only Ones, Ian Drury, Elvis Costello, Stiff Little fingers and The Stranglers. On top of which the original Punk DIY ethic (this is a note, this is a chord, now make a record!) spawned the Indie movement of the 80s.

Off to do some running - back later.
  • Morning! I thought I had posted earlier!

Lyrics: no

What: 3k exactly thanks to the Garmin...walked off road whilst watching parkrun. Longest walk yet.

Go well racers!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello all
    lyric - no, but i shall resist the urge to google.
    Tom - read something yesterday about Joe Strummer, didnt realise it was 10 years ago next week since he died. Didn't seem that long ago.You're right though, punk ethic was the inspiration behind a lot of bands i.e. you don't need to be musically proficient. A lot of the early synth bands had riffs playable with one finger.

what - 6 miles or so done first thing while youngest at swimming
    why - try to clear the head after last nights beers
    last hard - this morning
    last rest - yesterday 

good luck racers this weekend! 

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Back again. A lot of the bands which emerged out of punk had their background in the pub rock scene - The Motors, Eddie and The Hot Rods, Dr Feelgood, Kilburn and The High Roads and Ducks De Luxe, together with Dave Edmonds and Nick Lowe. My favourite bands of this and the post punk era where The Motors (classic single "Airport") and The Tourists (lead singer was Annie Lennox). It all got washed away in a wave of New Romanticism but then people started playing guitars again on the birth of Indie and it's evolution into Britpop......those were the days. Incidently Joe Strummer is commemorated by the Joe Strummer Subway, where Edgeware Road intersects with Marylebone Road!

Oh, almost forgot: Ran 8M this morning - a bit further than I realised as it consisted of a loop in the country plus another loop not taking me more than 800m from the house. Stopped when it started to tighten, so again pretty happy.
  • Sounds as though you're well on the road to recover Tom.

That's a good walk Alehouse - any reaction to that sort of thing now?

Dustin - hope that's cleared the head.

Just shy of two hours ridden, roads were mostly fine, the odd slightly slippy patch was all, not many people out. Lovely day though.

• ** TODAY is actually Saturday 8th December **

(I am certain of this as I intend to celebrate my last day of my 54th year!)

What: 12 windy wet miles under the belt
    Why: that's what it's like
    Last Hard: this morning
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no but I do know today's date!image

AH well done on new distance record image

Partying (aprés dip) later ...

• Yes, I meant to say about the date, too! Happy UNbirthday OH.

LMH:  actually for the first time since the op the Achilles itself feels a little strained. Will be resting it quite a bit for the next few hours. As it happens I am going to Uni cross country club Christmas meal and will be seeing running doctor  so will bend his ear about my various ailments! Plus I have changed phys appointment to Monday a.m.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

What do you traditionally have in Germany that's similar at this time of year?

Stollen, gingerbread and various litte christmassy cookies (see pic)

/members/images/411726/Gallery/cookie.jpg

I guess my 10k tomororw will be off ... right now we have compacted snow and -5 degrees but rain is forecast for tomorrow. Rain plus frozen ground equals disaster!

Enjoy your b'day tomorrow, OH!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well happy birthday for tomorrow then OH

What - Unspectacular Parkrun in terms of time, 19:41, but in position was 2nd male 3rd overall....
    Why - Christmas Party Last night
    Last hard - Today
    Last rest - Yesterday

Jnr Jogged round today behind me for once... image

10k tomorrow for both of us (if Jnr can shake off his runny nose etc..)

Take care

• Date: Okay, that'll teach me to post after midnight and be ultra confused.
    AH..good progress.
    Bisters your doing well for 100+ Ypu'll be challenging the Sikh centenarian for all sorts. Was listening to R6 on way back from the plod and Captain Sensible was on...took me straight back to 76 and 1st year uni...where did the years go?
    Right...the run. 20k 2 lap course. 1 minor undulate, one short sharp cheeky hill..definitely pb territory. My LSR = my running buddies target race pace. He wanted 2 hours but two things happened. a) We were caught at the water stop at 5k when a public transport bus navigated the bend and took almost a minute to do it and then at 18.8 he locked up, having ti walk for 200m. Crossed in 2.01.18 so he was reasonably pleased and I was reasonably cold. Almost perfect 6mk otherwise. Worst memento in history, cheap, tacky, Chinese made one size fits all carp Santa hat with race logo on and it looked as thought it had been stencil sprayed. Mulled wine flavour tea and mince pie at the finish were welcome tho. Winner of 20k was 1.05.23 so she was quite brisk. Winner of 10k was 35mins and he'll be asking a couple of questions I think, when he compares the two races! Well marshalled, not well attended yet definitely worth the trip. Cracking scenery and nice greetings from whomsoever we passed on the route.
    Note to self...tomorrow's the 9th, tomorrow's the 9th.
    LMH, glad there's another Macrunner aboutimage
    OH have a great last day of this year and happy burpday tomorrow

• Hope it eases and you have a good night out Alehouse.

You're doing a lot of pacing duties SC!

chickadeee - no big centrepiece cake equivalent to ours then? What do you have for xmas pudding? The Danes traditionally have a very rich sounding rice pudding concoction that I'd like to try but daren't make due to the calories!

Xmas cakes iced - a relief to get them done.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello from a very cold (-9.8 overnight) emzap.

What: 5 km race up a big hill.
    Why: I needed to do a race!
    Lyrics: nope

Well race was ok, hard work, and slippery, but finished 6th woman and 2nd in age category.  Not a big field, but still happy.  Had a small issue as got to where I thought maybe the 5km runners had to turn round, but there was no obvious sign, so had to wait and asked 3 people, the 3rd of whom was nice enough to tell me!

SC  well done for your pacing, I admire you for doing it image
    OH  brrrrr to the dip!
    Chicka we're stocked up on Lebkuchen and Spekulatis image

Have a good one all.

• Congratulations emzap.