ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Tony's onthebeach wrote (see)

IndyMcQueen . . . . .we have been having a mince pie tasting going since the 1st December and once I knew i was going to Bootcamp I had to withdraw my advice on which is best lost quarter of a stone in 3 weeks!! so no more mince pies for me and now on skimmed milk !! Hope you get through this evening

Cheers! I swear if I didn't work in a bakery I'd be a stone lighter, makes carb loading easy thoughimage

• Clive.......I use High 5 Gels myself with the caffeine (raspberry flavour). So far I have found these are the only ones I've used during races that haven't upset my stomach. I have always suspected this might be a psychological problem, as High 5 Gels are also the cheapest (it's my stingy side shining through!)

RRR...so basically what you're saying regarding mince pies, is that for a 1o mile run, you get to come home and eat 4 of them....that's the best maths I've see this week! Throw in your mars bar slices and I'm going to happily follow your training regime for your next marathon.........women's Boston qualifying time here I come!

Sarah........now you do have me all excited.......alcohol drinking before a race? I've always thought that was strictly off-limits. I've only ever done it once before a 10k several years ago, and I didnt enjoy it at all. Saying that though, it was a friends birthday and I did have more than 1! Is this a superstition for you now?

Malcs....how did the Xmas decorating go? Did you manage to go the whole day Port free?

Andrew......very impressed at your will power.

IndyMcQueen.....this must be a terrible time of the year for you with all those mince pies baking around you. If you have the will power of Andrew with a free bar at his disposal, then you are certainly a better man than me!

• Just back from 5 miler round the block- less stressed image suppose I should go home now...
  • Clive Kelty - Fair play, I hope you've got a lie in tomorrow.
  • Indy- I wish! Still on call, might have to go back tonight, but definitely back at work for 8am. And not a mince pie in sight...

How you bearing up?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

RRR...so basically what you're saying regarding mince pies, is that for a 1o mile run, you get to come home and eat 4 of them....that's the best maths I've see this week! Throw in your mars bar slices and I'm going to happily follow your training regime for your next marathon.........women's Boston qualifying time here I come!

LOL Ady - brilliant!

Christmas decorating was Port free in the end. Couldn't resist a little wine later though but that was the only way I could get through an evening of X Factor - it's the final - the pain is nearly over.

Clive - I am skulking off to bed and you're out running before going off to attend to the sick and needy. I'm not worthy enough to post on the same thread as you. image

• Ady - If you're not working out your running mileage in terms of mince pies you're doing it wrong. There's a special Christmas setting on the Garmin for this ...image

• Ady - What RRR says is true. I've been cross-training - I did 25 lengths of the pool this afternoon and earnt five pigs in blankets and two yorkshire puddings. Working my way up to a Christmas dinner.

• Clive - living the dream, back in at 08:00 myself, I feel your pain! Hope you don't get called out overnight at least.

Steve - How many lengths for the full meal? maybe you could do a few less lengths and leave the sprouts image
  • Indy, you jinxed me image- been back at work since 02.45...

Tenjiso- I looked at the hear rate monitoring book you suggested and found this link to a quick summary

http://www.marshallcf.com/assets/book_reviews//Heart%20Monitor%20Training%20for%20the%20Compleat%20Idiot.pdf

It all makes sense! I hadn't realised how exactly to work out the thresholds ie 70% so always assumed it was 70 of max, rather than accounting for resting HR. Means my recovery runs are not so bad, and that the different zones are probably about right for what I have been doing. I thought that I was heading for a heart attack image

Caroline, Steve, Sarah- photos all looking good on your pages. I'll have to wait till get home on Monday and can upload from the computer there

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Clive you are definitely in the right Busy Lifestyle category!!

I can't believe I'm awake already, WAY too much excitement going on, might as well start getting ready for my "race", I don't think our club will be doing so well in it this morning image

• RRR/ Steve - I can't believe I havent worked out my running mileage based on Xmas festive foods before! Can this philosophy be continued into Full English (sorry Welsh) breakfasts as well? Just done a hilly 13 miles. Surely that gets me the full Monty plus black pudding?

Clive, I will never complain again that my job is busy and stressful as its nothing compared to yours......and you still run on top of it all!

It seems quite a few of you are adding photos to your pages. I plan to do the same later. Although I can't promise there will be any of me flying like on RRRs!
  • Hahaha, Carol that made me laugh...its brilliant image

Andrew how did your race go today? Any pics of you dressed up for on here?

Shady I really do think there is something behind it, I was a minute slower on my last half when I didnt have my bottle of fruit cidar the night before (although that may have something more to do with the floods and gail force winds and it being a much hillier course...but I will forget that bit).

How far do you reckon I need to run this pm to run off last night, you all have me thinking now???image

• Clive - in the book he states that it takes about five weeks for the training to really kick-in.  I can testify to that.  The first month had me running significantly slower than I had been, then suddenly I found myself running faster and faster during recoveries. Before I knew it, I was running faster recoveries than before I started the program, but with a much lower heart rate.  I was converted to the method and became a regular runner for the first time in my life.

• Minni wrote (see)

Hello YD!  Great pitch and yes I can confirm you are a no-nonsense kind of guy who readily shares the highs and lows (not too many of those though) of your training.  I didn't know all your history and that makes your times even more impressive.  All good stuff.  One thing though - I'm sure you've told a lie in there.  There's no way you are 34 image !  When I was chatting to you a couple of weeks ago I was thinking, 'I'm old enough to be this boy's mother'!!

andrew price 3 wrote (see)

Hi Guys!!

Well dispite the opportunity to abuse the free bar I have taken the sensible option and thought about my race tomorrow!! I am now home after having only a few merry pints and am going to ensure that I thoroughly rehydrate myself ready fpr tomorrows santa run!! Things seem to be moving as fast as ever on here which is really positive and means that the buzz & excitement is still there!!! image

wow........free bar and restraint.amazing.not sure if that will lose or gain you votes thoughimage

• Hi guys thanks for the comments! The Santa run went ok dispute arriving late as I forgot to take my number and ticket to collect my suit so had to quickly go back home. Missed the start so was right at the back with the walkers & children making it difficult to get passed people but it was good fun! I will upload a picture once I work out how to do it?!
  • Not sure how to upload a pic? I'm using my I pad not sure if that makes a difference?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Andrew - hmm not sure that you can do it from the iPad. If you are able to upload the picture somewhere on the web (like picassa or equivalent) then you can supply the URL. However, as the iPad has no file system you can't do it the traditional way. image

Indy - I have just read that you work in a bakery. How do you cope with the temptation? I would find it a nightmare. We live within a mile or so of a huge industrial bakery and the smells are heavenly. If they sold pies and cakes at the gate I would be helpless to resist image.

Maybe if you apply Ady's 'run to eat' strategy then it doesn't matter? I'm still waiting for him to finish his book which from the above discussions he's secretly still researching. We all expect signed copies when it's out Ady! image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    back from a 10miler at my new goal MP just seeing what it felt like... felt good!

now a dilemma...ironing/catch up with strictly from last eve/ catch up n chat on here! or can I prove as a woman I can multitaskimage
  • Hi jenf - Wow! 10 miles at MP, that's a tough session! Glad it felt good, recon your MP may even be a bit quicker!?

Had a 15 miler myself with my club, legs felt a bit beat up today!

All women can multitask, men can only do one thing at a time! At least that's what my other half tells me!!image

• This is a buzzing thread, I would like to wish all good luck and I hope you all get to acheive your marathon goals.  I wish it was easier to select my favourite 5, it is so difficult.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    thanks stewart. I really don't envy the coaches their final decision. .everyone on here is so deserving.

AW .. I poss could be faster....scarey ! ironing done..just strictly n on here now.image
  • Thanks for that Malcs I will fire the laptop up at some point and do it from there.
  • Malcs wrote (see)

Indy - I have just read that you work in a bakery. How do you cope with the temptation? I would find it a nightmare. We live within a mile or so of a huge industrial bakery and the smells are heavenly. If they sold pies and cakes at the gate I would be helpless to resist image.

Maybe if you apply Ady's 'run to eat' strategy then it doesn't matter? I'm still waiting for him to finish his book which from the above discussions he's secretly still researching. We all expect signed copies when it's out Ady! image

The short answer, I don't! There's nothing quite like the smell of freshly fried jam doughnuts, thank god for the running! I'm very much in Ady's school when it comes to running and food, the more I can run the more I can eatimage

• I run a lot ... because I eat a lotimage

• Haha......if I ever thought one day, someone would be quoting my words, then "I run because I can eat more' would never had made the shortlist!

Malcs wrote (see)

Malc....unfortunately this is still many months away from completion.........I'm aiming to have a running distance for all favourite food types! Signed copies out in time for next Xmas!

StewartC.......hope you enjoy this thread!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - brilliant, kind of like the weightwatchers points system but for running. It's a sure fire bestseller! I love it! image

Indy - mmm donuts...

StewartC - I'm with Jen, you couldn't go wrong if you just rolled a dice.  

• Now that is a book I'd buy for sure!!!!!

Just wanted to say how incredibly well you've all done in your forum threads, they've all been good reads and stand you all in good stead for the competition. I seem to have struggled slightly with mine, but hey ho it's all good. We are about half way through, how's everyone's nerves holding out?????
  • image Just for the record, I'd like to state now that, my diet isn't really all that bad....... I don't eat copious amounts every day! image Just in case anybody thought I was planning my runs to coincide with eateries, bakeries and cafes!

Paul......how are your nerves holding out?  My neverves are fine......it's the sleep deprivation that I'm struggling with. Like most others on here, it seems I'm also dreaming about Target 26.2. My mind never seems to switch off now!

• Same here matey, it's very involving isnt it, good to be apart of, my nerves aren't too bad but I keep finding myself constantly checking the forums