Vote for A.W - ASICS Target 26.2

Hello everyone!

So the public vote is open for this years ASICS Target 26.2 Competition! You can have a look at me and everyone else in the PB category here!

Just to give you all a little bit of a snap shot of me and why I want to be one of the final 5, here goes.

I've been running for years, I started when at university 11 years ago and it has spiraled out of control ever since. Over the last year I have become highly motivated to get the best out of myself and set the quickest times I can, this was mainly due to a knee injury which kept me from proper running for around 8 months. The consultant told me I should probably think about scaling the running back, thankfully he was wrong and I'm now running better than ever.

I have set new PB's at 5K (18.28), 10K (37.57) and half marathon (1.22.31) since then, but feel I have unfinished business with the marathon! I need to get my best marathon in soon in case my knees do pack in!

I think my best time of 3.06 is quite a bit under par and I'm hoping with the help of the ASICS team I can put that right and put together a quality marathon performance after 7 failed attempts to break the magic 3 hour barrier!

So, that gives you an idea of what I'm about and I look forward to answering any questions you may have about my running!

Comments

• Just re read and realised I missed off my introduction!!

I'm Alex!

• Evening Alex. Firstly congrats on getting through to the next stage! Was a good day and enjoyed our little pace exercise in the afternoon although you left me standing in the second half of the 5k trial!.

Looking at your PB's there isn't a lot between us at all so if you get through I will be following your thread and pinching any tips you can offer re your training plan etc......

Anyway, best of luck and obviously you can guess who I voted for!

Jimage

• Hi Jimmers, 

Bootcamp was a great day, and really enjoyed meeting you all. The two track sessions were great, although I only really enjoyed the 5K time trial when it was finished!!!

Thanks for you well wishes, and rest assured if I'm lucky enough to get through I will be sharing as much as possible on the forum from my training and the schedule set by the coaches.

• Alex, it's good to see that you are putting in your best performances following a long injury layoff. I was out for 6 months earlier this year and told to consider stopping running... my recent PB tasted so sweet after coming back from that.

You get my vote for coming back strong after being told to stop... I know that feeling well image Good luck.

Do you think the quality of your training has improved or you just have more focus.... or both?

• Hi Wacky,

I think to be fair its a little bit of both.

Since my injury I've been super focused on what I'm doing, making sure I have shorter term goals to keep me motivated. I have spent a lot of time strengthening in the gym too, firstly to rehabilitate after the injury, but I've kept this going to give me better all round condition. I think this is now really giving something back to my running.

It took me a long time to get my speed and fitness back, and at times seemed I was never going to get back to where I was which at the time was frustrating, but I persevered and eventually improved.

I now want to keep pushing myself as much as possible to give myself the best chance of nailing a marathon.

• Hi Alex! You're super speedy! So ... if you don't get to Paris will you do a marathon next year? If so ... which one? image

• Hey RRR, 

My whole last year has been building myself back up to a spring 2013 marathon PB attempt. I've got my fingers crossed that that will be Paris as part of the Asics 5 with all their superb coaching and support....... but if not I will still do a marathon.

Hamburg was the one I had earmarked as it looks like a good, well organised race - and I've not been to Germany before!

• Hi A.W

Well done for getting through to this round - you have my vote!

I think you have done brilliantly returning from an injury to set several PB's this year.

I am currently suffering from a couple of injuries - any tips for trying to stay positive when you've been told to take a few weeks off running!?

• Hi Zoe,

Thanks for your support!

Running becomes part of our life so much it feels strange when we can't do it even when its only for a couple of days!!! Like you say you just have to stay positive when you get injured and not try to rush things, take time to enjoy other things you might not do when your running a lot.

I did a lot of rock climbing in my lay off, it gave me something else to focus on and enjoy!! Because I had something else I did'nt think about not being able to run so much.

• Morning

well done on getting this far

what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think that you can give to the forums

• Hi Seren,

I think the forum is a great place to share experience, gain inspiration and motivation, I have been following the sub 3 thread for some time and over the last 6 months have been contributing to the thread also.

I have drawn a lot of inspiration and motivation from the guys on there and it has helped me keep my training focused.

I'm hoping I'm going to be able to share the experience of my training with the Asics Target 26.2 team and provide some motivation and inspiration of my own to other forum members.

I will be posting all the tips, tricks and training sessions I get from the coaches and support team, so hope to be able to relay their expertise so its of benefit to everyone.
  • Hi Alex

What sort of training / training plans have you used for your previous marathons, and what sort of weekly mileage were you running. What do you think was missing from your training to hit your goal time.

• Hi Also-ran,

I've never really followed a structured training plan, I've kind of planned each week as I get there based on the 3 main sessions - long run, intervals and a tempo - and then built the rest around those sessions trying to progress week on week. During the build up I would get to around 55 miles at the peak, with most weeks being between 40 and 50.

I'm not really sure what was missing over those previous marathons, maybe not enough miles, maybe lack of a second weekly longer run (I've heard people say that a mid week run of up to 15 miles to be beneficial), maybe not enough basic speed. I'm just really not sure, that was part of my reason for wanting to take part in the Asics Target 26.2 comp. My other PB's suggest I can break 3 hours so somethings not right.

I think the structure of the schedule and the guidance from the coaches who have seen and done it all before will help make sure I'm getting the right sessions done at the right time.

• Hi Alex,

Your HM time is good (same as mine so I would say that). I scraped a sub3 in October and the main change I had made was introducing a longer midweek run between 11 - 15 miles.

It sounds like you will gain lots from the competition prize in having a bit more structure and guidance so good luck to you; hopefully the unfinished business will be laid to rest!

• Congrats on your sub3 in October Also-ran!!

I hope I can convert my half time the same as you, I dont mind how, as long as my next marathon time starts with a 2 I'll be happy!image

• Also-ran - I was just wondering if your midweek longer run you added was progressive or had a tempo section in or was it just done at easy pace?

Do you think that it was mainly this that made the difference in getting your sub 3?

• Hi. I ran the medium LR fairly easy and left myself fresher for a tempo, interval or hill interval run. I tended to ratchet up my long run, starting off easy, and progressing the pace up to about 20s to 30s of my MP. Occasionally I ran sections of the LR at MP.

A lot of the ideas I picked up came from 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pfitzinger and Douglas. I didn't slavishly follow their schedules, but did incorporate the ideas.
  • Thanks Also-ran, will take a look at those schedules.

I've tried running the end section of my long run at MP in previous marathon build ups and always found it a struggle to keep that pace for too long - maybe its something else I need to work on?

Speaking of running, I have to get out for my tempo session now!!

• Congratulations on getting through to this stage! Hope you make it all the way to Paris!!

• Thanks Emily!

I really appreciate your support, I have everything crossed that I'm lucky enough to get picked in the final 5. But if its not to be I'm sure the 5 who do go will do a great job!

Just back in from a nice little tempo session - so the shops open to any questions again!?

• Evening Alex! How was the tempo session? What did you do and how far did you go? I'd like to be as speedy as you so looking for tips!image

• Hope your enjoying all the cake RRR!!!

My tempo session was good thanks, took a bit to get me going though today! Always have a couple of miles warm up and the crank up the pace. Did 7.5 undulating miles in total with 4 miles sandwiched in the middle at tempo pace averaging about 6.10-6.15 a mile.

Love the feeling after the hard runs, very satisfying!

• Long run day with the club this morning - 15 miles to be done!

• 15 miles in the bag today! Lovely run with my club.

Its been a good weeks running, and being part of this competition is really giving me the extra drive and motivation to push on and get the sessions done.

I've got a real buzz from everything that's been going on with this process. In a way I think that one of the real benefits of getting into the final 5 would be the whole experience of sharing the ups and downs with people on here. 

Having loads of people watching your progress just adds that little extra push which I believe will make all the difference to the end performance!

Its like having someone else to be accountable to, who you don't want to let down!

• Hi A.W

Firstly really inspired that you're going for sub 3. I've been running for 4 years and I've never got close. Knowing how hard it is it's amazing to think someone can push themselves to get that time.

Do you train alone or in groups? I'm considering joining a running club but I'm a bit daunted!

Thanks and GOOD LUCK! I really want to see someone go the extra mile and get such an incredible time!

Laura

• Hey Laura.

I mainly train alone, but at least one of my runs a week is done with my club. Its really nice running with the club, gives you another focus to break up the routine.

Get to a club, its helped me, I'm sure it will help you too.

Thanks for your support, it means a lot.
  • Hi Alex. I'm really enjoying your posts -they're providing me with some great inspiration. I've done a couple of marathons but, to my shame, my times are slipping. I'd ideally like to shave around seven minutes off my PB, to get under 3:30. I run around 30 to 35 miles a week, mostly over the flat. But it's all pretty much at the same pace. I know they say mixing your training up helps but what would you recommend? Good luck in getting through to the final!

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

Hi Alex. I don't think I met you in person at BC and it's a pity we're competing against each other in the same group image. Like I just said on the main forum, I think you ALREADY have a great following and you are very super quick! I will DEFINITELY be supporting you and following your training and tips if you win. I would very much like to follow in your footsteps speed wise one day! Well done so far! x Caroline

• Hey thanks CaroT, your pretty quick yourself and made massive progress the last couple of years! Let's hope whatever the outcome of the competition we can all get to our goals this spring.

I too shall be keeping a keen eye on the threads and giving what support I can if I'm not one of the lucky ones.