Regents park in winter

I'm in London, staying near Regents Park in a couple of data, and. the forecast COLD! I reckon, though, the path surfaces in the park might be OK on frosty days - can anyone give me an idea - is it worth bringing my kit?

Comments

• In the unlikely event of the path being icy - run on the grass ? 

• It's always worth bringing running kit.

• cougie wrote (see)

In the unlikely event of the path being icy - run on the grass ? 

You gotta love Cougie - always thinking outside the box.  image

• exiled claret wrote (see)

It's always worth bringing running kit.

Completely agree!

• Always take the kit to London...it's always warmer there anywayimage

• It always baffles me why, when presented with a lovely place like Regents Park, people want to run on the paths. Might as well just run down the pavement outside. Your body was designed to run on the grass.

• I live nearby and I think Regents Park gets closed early in the winter (once it gets dark), you can still do a lap around the outer circle, Primrose Hill to the north is good for a few laps and you can easily access Regents Canal towpath (be reflective though as cyclists are everywhere).

• definitely pack that kit. you've got Regent's Park plus Primrose Hill, which makes a very good circuit. weather-wise, london will indeed be warmer and very rarely slippy. for a longer, daytime run, considering extending from Primrose Hill up to Hampstead Heath and back (approx 10 miles). another nearby option is Hyde Park, St James Park, Green Park (excellent views of the major sights). the routes are on my club's website -- http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/run_routes_index.html

you can also join our Hyde Park club run on wednesday nights at 6.45, paying just one pound. have fun!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Joe - I'm one who normally run on the outside pavement. It's fun watching the cyclists on Sunday mornings. To be honest I find most of the Royal Parks boring to run round - too much open space, no hills and no trees. Now Richmond Park on the other hand is fab for running in.

PhilPub, just in case you're lurking I've never run round Greenwich Park, though I believe it's quite hilly.
  • indeed - greenwich park, richmond park, both utterly splendid if you can get there. greenwich is hilly.

• Does Greenwich still have those jumps and fences left over from the summer ? Some great cross training to be had there !
  • Oh god, first post - here goes:

I also run the Outer Circle of Regents Park. It doesn't get too slippy at all but it can get dark as the lighting isn't too good. I used to do my early (0530) runs there but find it too dark now so have started going around the park on the Prince Albert Road/Albany Street. The Outer Circle is about 4,5K si it makes it quite easy to track the distance if not wearing a GPS devide of some sort.

• Tom. wrote (see)

PhilPub, just in case you're lurking I've never run round Greenwich Park, though I believe it's quite hilly.

I'm lucky enough to live 0.7 miles away from Greenwich Park (0.9 miles to the main entrance by the donkeys on the heath!) and it's a perfect park for training.  Yes it's located on the side of a hill so there is a variety of different length/steepness of slopes to be had for all kinds of sessions, but there is also a nice plateau on the top for flat tempo intervals, etc. And given that it links up with Blackheath at one end and the river at the other, there are endless traffic-free opportunities for long runs.  And the toilets always have bog roll.

cougie wrote (see)
    Does Greenwich still have those jumps and fences left over from the summer ? Some great cross training to be had there !

They've only very recently taken away all the horsey stuff and re-opened access throughout the park, but they're taking their time re-laying all the turf.  Or maybe they're gonna plant some crops?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8271264735_4a80e9109f_z.jpg

• The other thing I didn't think about was when I would be running: pretty bloody early, is the answer. Didn't fancy running through the park at 6.30am, but a couple of circuits round the outside edge was fine. Frosty at times, but nothing icy enough to make you slip. The view from the northern gate down through the main North /South path on the second lap as the sun rose was pretty impressive. Might stay in a different hotel next time (Travelodge at Marylebone is a bit rank, TBH), and try a different park.