HADD training plan

Comments

• Yesterday I had to perform some living room surgery on my little toe. I have had this blister that has waxed and waned for the past two weeks. Yesterday, 8 miles from home, it started to hurt. Well, let's just say I cut away all the outerskin and am subsequently a bit tender. This has happened before and I'm always amazed at how fast the skin can heal. I bet I'll be back on the road tomorrow.

Last week was a good one. Over an 8 day stretch I logged 68 miles running 7 of the 8 days. Pretty good considering I haven't run more than 4 days in a row (or more than 5 in a week) since the getting back on the horse.

Still itching to add in some 80% runs but will just hold off. I'm still seein improvement in my pace at 70-75% and don't have it as dialed in over 10-16 miles (still rises a abit toward the end, but gettign there). Plus, there's just no rush.

Oh yeah, my xmas shopping is officially doneimage

• macemace ✭✭✭

BD - i occasionally get high readings and it's always because the strap needs tightening up. Also, in particularly cold weather maybe we don't sweat as much so poor contact ... maybe add a blob of lubricant ( i use KY jelly ) to improve contact.

Can't say i've ever had low readings though, but maybe for the same reason ??

First day of P&D tomorrow and i'm feeling strangely nervous image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Oh dear. 100 pages and it was all going so well, then Mace had to open up the KY Jelly!

Sounds like you are on the high Unit place BD. I'm still on the lite plan (2 cider shandies at my tri-clubs awards presentation on Friday. Came away with trophies for best runner, best cyclist and best duathlete though!)

Jealous about you shopping VT. I've done all the online stuff, but now have to face the actual shops for the rest image

Nice work Brian, Where are you currently through the HADD plan (which HR % zone are you working?)

• Brian, lol a bus with a toilet would have been appreciated, good running too

BD hope the long run this evening went well.

Mace, good luck with P&D, I downloaded it onto my kindle the other week makes for interesting reading.

Keir, Congrats, you must be delighted to win those awards.

Gym session this evening upper body and core, split between two runs, 2 miles @ 70% 11mm and 1hour @75% 11:30mm, the base building continues.

• Keir, congrats on an impressive awards haulimage. I wish I had your genes for speed at distance...image

• mace - KY jelly eh? mmm glad you use, I'm sure I have shares in that companyimage

More on the HM readings - just read in the Garmin manual this;

Wear a cotton shirt or wet your shirt if suitable for your activity. Synthetic fabrics that rub or flap against the HRM can create static electricity that interferes with the hear rate signal.

Move away from strong Electromagnetic fields and some 2.4GHz wireless sensors. Other sources are high voltage power lines, electric motors, microwave ovens, 2.4GHz cordless phones and wireless LAN access points.

I don't know about everyone else but cotton in the winter is a bit of a nonsense - most people surely wear synthetic fibre clothing to wick away the sweat. Also can't remember the last time I strapped a microwave oven to my back just for the hell of it.

• On to more serious things - completed 10 miles last night. Had to go on pace as HRM playing up - I kept stopping to check my HR manually and it was within my target zone and not what the reading said. Some of the time it was OK but the pace doesn't relate to HR on some splits. Whilst I 'felt' as though there was some drift at the end I haven't got the confidence in the HRM at the moment to say if this is correct or not - lap 6 for instance - slower pace yet higher HR! Anyway, trying not to get too hung up about this as I'm pretty comfortable that the pace is OK for a long slow run.

Distance    Split time    Avg. HR
    1.00    10:37    158 (86%)
    2.00    11:16    149 (81%)
    3.00    11:30    142 (78%)
    4.00    11:06    136 (74%)
    5.00    11:11    133 (72%)
    6.00    11:25    148 (81%)
    7.00    11:08    135 (74%)
    8.00    11:10    132 (72%)
    9.00    11:31    146 (80%)
    10.00    11:49    153 (83%)

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageI wouldn't worry too much about the exact HR - you should know roughly where you are from pace/feel ... cold weather and HRMs just don't go well together - you need to sweat!

Another 2 x 5 mile double for me yesterday ... 8:54/m and 8:45/m. No idea about HR as the HRM was playing up, but pretty sure it was around the 75% mark.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Could it be a weak battery in the HRM? Might be worth replacing it to see if the problem still persists.

11.5m @75% for me at 5.30am. Head torch all the way. Cold out there this morning, but feel good to have got that done for the day. Hopefully heading towards my first 60m week for over 15 months.

• Teknik, Healing vibes for the knee.

Cheers DrDan, yes things coming together nicely. Just want to get the top speed back now (recently finding it really difficult to run faster than MP). You guys look away now - my last 3 weeks have not exactly been text book increases: 41-49-62! An unplanned double on Tuesday ramped the mileage up further than planned. Good luck with the commuting doubles.

VT, Nice DIY surgery going on. Things coming together nicely for you.

mace, good luck with the P&D stuff.

Keir, Congrats on the awards. I'm not Hadding at the moment. I'm 3 weeks into 8weeks of HM training. So mixing it up at the moment with main sessions being tempo (building from 15mins to 35mins at target pace 6:06), intervals of between 90s and 6mins of 5-10k paced running and a long run of 14M+ which will contain some 80% stuff OR be progressive. Threw a hill session in yesterday but made sure I wasn't full tilt.

• Keir wrote (see)

11.5m @75% for me at 5.30am. Head torch all the way. Cold out there this morning, but feel good to have got that done for the day. Hopefully heading towards my first 60m week for over 15 months.

Isn't it great to get the run out of the way first thing? 10.5 for me at 4:45am. Lots of snow meant rubbish pace but all miles in the bank @ 75%.
    Congrats on a bunch of nice new bling for the trophy cabinet image

BD2000 wrote (see)

More on the HM readings - just read in the Garmin manual this;

Wear a cotton shirt or wet your shirt if suitable for your activity. Synthetic fabrics that rub or flap against the HRM can create static electricity that interferes with the hear rate signal.

Move away from strong Electromagnetic fields and some 2.4GHz wireless sensors. Other sources are high voltage power lines, electric motors, microwave ovens, 2.4GHz cordless phones and wireless LAN access points.

I don't know about everyone else but cotton in the winter is a bit of a nonsense - most people surely wear synthetic fibre clothing to wick away the sweat. Also can't remember the last time I strapped a microwave oven to my back just for the hell of it.

LOL, BD! I particlulary love the "wet your shirt" bit. Yeah, I sure go out there when it's minus 6 degrees in a wet shirt image. My HR seems to be working fine but I have a bottle of ultrasound jelly stuff. I bet the KY works just as well ....

Mace: have fun with P&D. I just put my 12 week schedule together. I reckon I need to throw in some 80% sessions pretty soon if I want to survive the first P&D tempo run!! That snow needs to go first though. It was hard enough to stay upright at the slow pace that I did this morning.

• Inspired by you guys, I did an impromptu 80% session at lunch. Couldn't face a speed session but I wanted to test myself:

Total 12.38miles in 90:27 @ 140 (76%) incl 70mins@80%

Out  5.04  35:04  6:57  145

Back 5.04  35:28  7:03  147

Well chuffed cos last time I did this run on the canal (10th Aug) I got 7:10 pace for 151 avg. Result!

• OMG you lot run at silly times !!

At least we havent had any snow here (yet) although 2 years ago I remember running with the Yax Trax  once I started  to trust that they do stop you slipping it was funny to run past people who looked puzzled as how I was running in ice !!  

12.25 miles @70- 75% for me last night before night shift in 1 hour 53, absolutely freezing, and I struggled to warm up it was very hard to resist the temptation to up the pace purely to work up a bit of sweat although in those temps it would have probably been impossible anyway and I was cold all night at work too.

P&D starts for me next week although over the Xmas period a few sessions will go out the window, not too worried though as I have the miles in my legs.

Looking back at the  HR readings this time last year before I started Hadding...and just doing long runs at what I considered easy pace my  average HR for long runs was 78-81% for 9.15/9.20mm now its 71-73 %image

• NN, that is a huge improvement. But it just goes to show what can be achieved in 12 months given the right approach and patience. Good luck with the P&D schedule and, as with everyone, keep us informed of how it's going, with a regular supply of statsimage

You know I love 'em!!!!

• Thanks Brian thanks its great that you show genuine interest in everyones stats ,this is all new to me and I am well chuffed as at my age I really needed something new to boost my running I have been at a plateau for  a few years and accepted that I wouldn't improve any more but its great to really see it in black and white with the stats ...I just hope I can better my marathon time next year.

• No problem NN, I genuinely take an interest because I am a genuine supporter of all things Hadd. It worked wonderfully for me (not just improvement, but enjoyment too) and I would sing it from the rooftops if I knew people would listen.

I also plateaud, but turned a corner in 2005 having discovered HR training. I am not stupid enough to think it will work for everybody, and I am also aware that some won't stick to it (they will run out of patience), but I do believe that 95% of us can make huge gains and benefit no end from developing our mitochondria. 

• Night Nurse wrote (see)

Thanks Brian thanks its great that you show genuine interest in everyones stats ,this is all new to me and I am well chuffed as at my age I really needed something new to boost my running I have been at a plateau for  a few years and accepted that I wouldn't improve any more but its great to really see it in black and white with the stats ...I just hope I can better my marathon time next year. 

You sure will improve your marathon time based on how much you have developed aerobically, NN. I'm well impressed!

• Keir - congrats on awards

I recently bought P&D book - very interesting reading but I have a ways to go before looing at one of their schedules. Perhaps for Lake Vernwy next year - don't know still got lots of HADDing to do. I've only just started short stints of 80%

Brian - which HM are you training for?

• NN - brillaint, that's what we like to hear, for all those WITH the patience it shows what can be done. I've only been HADDing for 15 weeks and although I'm not up to full mileage yet (aiming for 35 miles per week to do HM's not full M's) I just know this is right. Sometimes we have little set backs and start doubting what we are doing, looking for that 'quick fix' - well I guess quick fixes don't happen. Dedication ("is the name of the game and I wanna play the game with you") - sorry had a senior moment there and thought I was Roy Castle (for all those of a certain age) - dedication is what it takes.

• Brian,

feel the same way about HADDing, for me I cant see any other way to train, and pass the word on to anyone who will listen.

• Tonight ran 17.88 k tried to keep HR between 125-132bpm 78%-82%.

1st 5k at 123bpm time of 25.16 mins 77% avg

2nd 5k at 127bpm time of 25.05 mins 80% avg

3rd 5k at 132 bpm time of 26.28 mins 82% avg

No break between 1st and 2nd 5k , but between 2nd and 3rd 2.88k at HR 131avg

Bit of a fade off on the final 5k but will work at that in the new year.This was on a treadmill hence the bit of messing around with the 5ks

• Great running all.

Whats the though on doing the 80% run on a treadmill during this cold snap? I was out tonight and while it felt safe to run at a slower speed (70%) I think it may have been asking for trouble with all the ice about to do speedwork.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I've gont some stats for you Brian. image One of the problems I have is trying to measure improvement with HR / m/m. It is undulating round my way and this means that the only true way to compare fitness is to do the same run, on the same routes, following the same direction.

Here are a couple of 11.4m runs of mine over the same terrain, time of day and direction.

Distance Split pace Avg. HR
    1.00 8:53 129 (68%)
    2.00 8:21 140 (73%)
    3.00 8:03 137 (72%)
    4.00 8:04 141 (74%)
    5.00 8:10 139 (73%)
    6.00 8:02 139 (73%)
    7.00 8:27 141 (74%)
    8.00 8:57 142 (75%)
    9.00 8:22 143 (75%)
    10.00 8:07 139 (73%)
    11.00 8:05 143 (75%)
    11.41 8:46 145 (77%)

Distance Split pace Avg. HR
    1.00 9:15 127 (67%)
    2.00 8:19 137 (72%)
    3.00 7:49 135 (71%)
    4.00 7:55 140 (74%)
    5.00 7:51 140 (74%)
    6.00 7:56 141 (74%)
    7.00 7:55 142 (75%)
    8.00 8:21 147 (77%)
    9.00 8:10 143 (76%)
    10.00 8:00 141 (74%)
    11.00 8:27 139 (73%)
    11.34 8:29 139 (73%)

So 2 weeks later I averaged 2bpm less and pace dropped from 8.20m/m to 8.11m/m. image

• BD2000, entered the very popular Brass Monkey HM in York 20th Jan. Done it a few times over the years - it is flat and usually fast with good organisation. Headquarters in the Racecourse Grandstand, lots of parking. It fills up incredibly quickly, (2000 limit) within a day normally. Last year it was very windy and fast times were at a premium. The training is good but slow at the moment. Doing lots of work in the gym, hoping that the extra strength transfers into speed eventually.

How many times are you getting out at the moment? Seem to think that the frequency was a bit of a stumbling block for you..

Recordbreakers - now theres a blast from the past! Unfortunately I am of that age to remember it, the McWhirter twins adjudicating.

Roy, Keep the faith.... Well done on the dreadmill. I find it so difficult to do even paced stuff on there. It's so mindnumbing. I have to play with the speed to spend any real time on it.

• Keir, That's a good improvement. Incidentally, what do you classify that run as? What I mean is how does it feel? Is it an easy run, steady run etc.? Where does it fit in your schedule? We are pretty much in the same pace bracket, and I rarely do runs of that length and intensity. I will either do shorter (5-10miles) at a lower intensity, averaging between 65 and 70%, or runs of 8-13miles averaging 75%+ (these will be have some sort of effort in them, like intervals or 80%).

Presumably just a benchmark run? It does seem to be "in the middle" to me...

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

That is a 75% run so between easy and steady. It is not hard to be at 142bpm, but it is not a recovery run either.

I am currently running:

2 - 3 x 5-8m runs @ 70% (easy / recovery),

2 runs between 10-14m @ 75% (easy/steady) with one of them having around 40mins @ 80%

1 other run - either an LSR or another 10m 70% run with a 45m bike ride straight after.

I have a fun boxing day muddy 2.5m race which I did last year and a muddy off road duathlon in mid Jan, again I did last year which will be useful comparisons (although conditions greatly affect times for these 2 races) but my first real test of this HADDing will be early feb at a local 10k. Last year I was 2sec off my pb with 37.21. This will be at week 1 of my 12 wk VLM build, so a useful time for a fitness assessment. 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Re-reading your comment, are you saying that I would be better with fewer 75% runs, but more 70% and maybe another 80% run? I assumed I was squeezing the 70% up the tube and planning to consolidate 75% by adding only 1 80% over the next 5 weeks, but would I be better squeezing a bit harder and doing 2x 80%?

• Keir, So you are pure hadding at the moment, I had the feeling that you were building up to a race. No, I think that your content is fine. I think your progression should be to gradually lengthen the 80% portion of your run, to get to 70mins by the time you start marathon training. You can then either:

1. Build that to 83% (and that in essence becomes your MP run) or

2. Add in another 80% run, building the time (from say 40mins) again gradually.

Of course, theres no hard and fast schedule, and you are doing the right elemnts anyway, it would be just tinkering around with the 70,75 and 80% proportions.

Are you going to Hadd right up to the mara, or do a more traditional 12 week build-up?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thanks Brian.

I plan to Hadd up till the end of Jan, by which time I will have had 6 weeks of 80% running once per week, around 10 weeks of 50-65mpw and have a few 18m LSRs under the belt. Then I will start a 12 week P&D plan, but go a little easy on the LT runs, to ease in with a few weeks of M pace running first (85% for me).

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageNice statfest! image 

Can't contribute much as I'm generally not using the HRM ... too cold, so it's just not reliable (clearly need to invest in some KY jelly image). So I'm running to perceived effort but, after 4 years of weaering a HRM for almost every run, I'm sure it's sub 75%. Last week's paces were  9:07-9:27/m, and I felt a bit drained ... whereas this week they've been 8:42-8:54/m and I've felt much better ... that's just down to adapting to the double-commutes and to clearing the cobwebs away after 2 weeks of doing nothing. Lot's to do - I'm someway behind schedule for the Brass Monkey HM compared with Brian...