Talkback: The golden rules of 26.2

Excellent article Steve... Thanks very much. Particularly enjoyed the advice on running when you're not quite as young as you used to be. I'd like to see some more content in RW for us older runners (erm... I'm 45!).

Particularly impressed that you've extended your sub 3:00 over 35 years! 

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I agree, great article, (and more RW content for oldies pleaseimage)

• Brilliant article, valuable info for me image
  • Great stuff Steve. Thanks for the advice given here.
  • Words of Wisdom. This is a great for everyone with a marathon in their sites. These attributes are key for all.
  • Great article that summarises the rules into an easy to read format.   I will be 59 when I run VLM next April so many of those rules are so applicable to me.
  • Excellent. Cheers for that. Wish I'd read that last year thoughimage I learnt some of that the hard way.
  • Very good article!! 

And congratulations for your streak!

• Terrific read and so true. I did not go with much of the "science" of the sport until relatively recently, we all learn the hard way eh?

As a V50 aiming to run a sub 3hr someday it's good to read that I'm not away with the fairies, ran a sub 40min 10k a couple of weeks ago so could be on for Blackpool next April!

• Superb Steve, I started running in July 2012 and have won my last three 10kms as a Vet 50.

I have got the bug big time, cheers Robert Burn

email 2run26point2@gmail.com

• Good advice Steve, but I would like to know what kind of training you did to enable you to extend your sub 3 for 35 years. I'm a female, first marathon 1978 and ran sub three 6 times in those early years. These days, although I still run marathons, didn't go under 4hrs last year! I am 62. Have you kept a diary of your last 12 weeks before your last sub 3.
  • I am 70 years old my last marathon was 19 years ago when I ran 2hrs 44 mins 58 secs at London what will be arealistic time for this year. Any advice on my training

• This is a superb article. Well-written, to the point and full of apparent throwaway lines that are actually golden advice, from someone with a commendable track record of being a very good (if not elite) athlete.

One line that I feel I have to expand on is the comment on working on the core. As a distance runner and personal fitness coach, I feel this is a hugely important but very neglected area. In general, runners are very bad at doing correct core work in the gym. You would be surprised how much work the elites spend on core strength and balance. It is vital when you are tired in a distance event to maintain good running form, not just to maximise performance but especially to avoid injury.

I tried to tell my father (ex-international athlete from the 70s) about this, but like most athletes from that era, he has a seeming phobia of gyms and even when I presented him with the video evidence of Galen Rupp doing 100s of reps on the Bosu Ball and dynamic lunges with medicine balls, he said "Oh I bet they don't do that much compared to running".

In my view, athletes training for the marathon would do better to fully digest the above article rather than worry about the minutiae of a training plan that has not been tailored for them.