Meniscus issues

As the title suggests, I had a rather horrible discussion with my surgeon today regarding my many and varied knee meniscus issues.

2 weeks ago, I had an arthroscopy to remove some torn mensicus (posterior horn if that means anything to anyone). The surgery did what it was supposed to do and full motion of my knee has been restored. I have previously had surgery on this knee - in 2008, I had an ACL reconstruction and some other torn mensicus removed, all of which I fully recovered from.

However, the investigations of my knee revealed that the meniscus in that knee is buggered. Grade 3 tears (on a scale of 1-4, with 4 being bone-on-bone) on both sides which basically are not in a position to be fixed. He showed me the pictures and I have to admit, it looks a bit of a mess compared to what a normal meniscus should look like. I'm too young for a knee replacement (26) and I'm not sure I would want to go down that road anyway even if it was an option, but if I continue the way I am, there's a good chance it will get worse.

The upshot of all this is that I have been told to stop all weight-bearing exercise, which obviously includes running and my beloved British Military Fitness. To say I'm gutted would be an understatement (I was in tears this morning as the consultant was explaining all this to me).  I can cycle, swim, do yoga and pilates "until the cows come home", but... it's not the same. Those things don't excite me and my brain cannot compute the idea of not running again. I haven't beaten my boyfriend in a 10k yet, for one thing.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had anything similar and how they've overcome it... hopefully by posting on here, I'll get responses from runners who are still runners!

Comments

• Not sure this is what you want to hear but....

Not being able to do the sport you 'want to do' sucks but in time you may come to enjoy still being able to do the sports you can.  The only exercise I've been able to do for the past year and a bit is walking at a low heart rate and very light weights. I've hated it and missed running and cycling and the social side of it a lot. And I've gotten to the point of often doing nothing because walking drives me nuts.

However over time, and I guess because of the reasons I can't do anything else, I'm gaining a better perspective.  Last night was the first time in ages that I went for a brisk-ish walk in the fog and actually enjoyed it. It wasn't want what I wanted to do, I don't get that high but there's still many out there who would love to be able to walk for a couple of miles, and I'm grateful I can still do that. Shit's happened and life has gone on... image

ETA - You may enjoy cycling btw, and it could help your knee, just be careful about grinding up hills.