Maidenhead Easter 10M

The Maidenhead Easter Ten is 60 years old next year and we hope you will consider joining us on March 29th to celebrate the race's Diamond Jubilee. After all, you could be taking part in the oldest road race in the country. Ron Ellis won the first Maidenhead Easter Ten (miles by the way!) in 1953 coming first in a field that had 98 finishers. Why not join us on March 29th 2013 and be one of the 1300 runners who will have the opportunity to take part in the 60th Maidenhead Easter Ten!

Comments

• Has it always been the same route? Given the start I guessing not!

I hope to be there.
  • I've run three different routes Paul, since I first ran this event in about 1989.  This route is a lot flatter than the 1.5 lap version I first remember.

I've still got my small silver plate from the 50th event image

• The race has moved around Maidenhead over its 60 years. As AndyP points out we have a fast, flat circuit now on the western edges of Maidenhead taking in White Waltham village. The Easter Ten is a great race to challenge or set a new PB over the 10-mile distance which for some reason is an increasingly rare racing distance even though it is a perfect test of stamina and speed. Hope to see you on the Start line!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

60years is a really good milestone.

10milers aren't that frequent, so the ones you find tend to draw good fields.

Maidenhead is a nice little race. Once you get out of that darn business park. From about mile 4 onwards it settles into quite a varied, interesting little jaunt around the area.

• I've been running it since 2007 and as far as I can recall over this short period of time it has always been the same route - apart form last year when there was a bit of a booboo at the start. It follows one of my summary training runs and I always enjoy the race and the distance. The usual start does not bother me.

• Ah...Ihear that Breadcroft Lane is closed for 6 months, so Easter 10 will need a new route! Perhaps it can go through the Thicket?

• The route will be the same course we have used in recent years, including Breadcroft Lane as we have an agreement with the contractor working on the railway bridge that there will be passage for the 1300 runners we expect to take part in the 60th Maidenhead Easter Ten

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

A local race that I've never done. There's not many of them!

Is Ron Ellis still with us?

• Well 'Muttley' - where have you been for the last 59 years image. Get your entry in now and join us for what is probably the oldest road race in the country which was started to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II accession to the throne in 1953...which may leave you wondering why the race is celebrating its Diamond Jubilee one year later than Her Majesty?  It is not that we can't count, it is simply that the 2001 race had to be cancelled as that was the year of the foot-and-mouth epidemic and all mass outdoor events were cancelled during the height of the outbreak. It's a great course for fast times and the race medal and souvenir will be well worth your efforts to cross the finish line!

• I'm in.  Hot cross buns for breakfast.

• I'm in too - good shout Philpub - toasted I hope?

• Naturally.  Otherwise, how would the butter melt?!  image  Then a good dollop of raspberry jam, I think.

• I'll bring ten - imageone for each mile

• There are now less than two weeks to go till you have the opportunity to take part in probably the oldest road race in the country. The first Maidenhead Easter Ten mile road race took place in 1953 and the price of entry to the race was 2/6 (12.5p!). I'll leave you to work out the compound inflation over the intervening 59 years! We still have a few places left if you have friends, family or work colleagues who may wish to join us for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the Maidenhead Easter Ten.  Full details for race day, including the race programme, are now available at the club website: www.maidenheadac.co.uk

• I've just reaslised that the silver plate I mentioned was for the 40th anniversary - not 50.

Damn - where does time go??image

• Looking forward to it - especially after running a very poor Reading half. And so cold afterwards. Please can it be warmer with no reason?
  • AndyP - you are correct. The silver plate was the memento for the 40th Maidenhead Easter Ten.  20 years of running and seeking that new PB over various distances has now doubt kept you busy in the intervening years.  This year, you will receive a souvenir medal that will commemorate the 60 years of the Maidenhead Easter Ten and an additional memento that we hope you will find useful.  As for the weather prospects, we all have our fingers crossed that the worst of the current cold and wet weather front will pass over but Easter weather can be a law unto itself - come prepared on March 29th!

• Hi there this is the first time i have entered a race like this and im looking forward to it. I have entered and paid online but do i need to bring any id with me on the day or do i need to print anything off or do i just show up with my name  and my water bottle?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Seems rude not to enter as I live just down the road and haven't done a 10m race yet. Any tips for carrying the hot cross buns welcomed, or if not, tips for pacing the race. I normally storm off the line, die in the middle, and then resurrect (the pace) at the end. Actually that reminds me of a book I once read.

• Joe and 'Also Ran' - just turn up on race morning giving yourself time to collect your running number and timing chip from the entries tent in the race village. The site is compact so you are no more than 5 minutes from the race village, toilets and start line when you are parked on site. You can download a copy of the race programme (PDF file) from our website: www.maidenheadac.co.uk. Now, I am just hoping for an improvement in the weather before next Friday is upon us!

• Hi ian, looking forward to the race, did it back in 2009 so hoping to beat my time from then. Signed up through rw last monday but my name isnt on the entry list on maidenhead ac's website, just wanted to check the application went off okay.

Thanks
  • Please please please can we have warmer and dryer weather. Love this race it follows my summer training route.
  • It was definitely drier Paul, a lovely sunny day.  Still cold enough for me to wear my gloves though.

I enjoyed my run, nice flat course, and encouraging marshalls, espec those by the airfield at White Waltham image

I liked the diamond-shaped medal, and souvenir bag.

Thanks Maidenhead AC.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Really enjoyed the race, very good organisation.  Getting the bacon rolls cooking so early before the start is a bit cruel though!  image

• Agree with you on that Philpub. The waft of bacon when I picked up my number was v tempting!
  • I thought the race was very fun and very well organised plus we had good luck with the weather. I really enjoyed it for my first running event and will be taking part in many more to come. Thankyou Maidenhead AC

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Enjoyed the race, thanks Maidenhead AC and marshalls. I feel duty bound to join the club as a 'Madonian'

The circuits of the office park gave me nightmares from a recent snowy long run when I ended up running around that office park about 18 times (mental endurance is important right?)

Did one of the front runners pull up or go in the wrong direction - one guy seemed very unhappy for some reason.

• 1336 entries, over 1100 on the Start line and 1095 crossed the finish line.  Thank you everyone for making the 60th Maidenhead Easter Ten a bumper one! Our marshals will be delighted with your positive comments.  Our approach to race marshalling is to aim to keep all runners in line of sight of two marshals at any point in time to ensure a rapid response to any runners in distress or in need of medical attention - just so you know!

Now, an early date for your 2014 running calendar - the 61st Maidenhead Easter Ten will take place on Good Friday April 18th 2014.

• Great race yet again really enjoyed it. Fantastic orginisation, nice compact start area, plenty of (free parking), marshalls were brilliant, frequent and visible. 

Two minor areas for improvement -

1. May just have been me getting old but I didn't hear a start "gun"

2. My car had the remains of a small rainforest under the wipers, race organisers please use e-mail, social media and websites like this for info

Great work Maidenhead AC!

• Alan - the race was started with a very loud hooter that the Mayor was holding and pressing throughout all starters crossing the Start line. It was loud and clear to me but I was standing next to him at the time!

I agree about the 'rainforest' of race entries.  Next year we shall revert to a display in the entries marquee for runners to collect entry forms for the races they are interested in - as long as local organisers send us some entry forms in advance.

Thank you everyone once again as the bumper entries this year enable us to make a larger contribution to our nominated charity - Thames Valley Adventure Playground for special needs children and adults - and to help improve the facilities and coaching for the many budding young athletes in Maidenhead who belong to the Maidenhead AC junior section.