Any Olympic Torchbearers on here?

Well, you might have guessed it from the name!

I've ran all sorts of events from 5 mile to half marathon, but the best run of my life was just 300 metres long. I carried the London 2012 Olympic flame in Chester on the 29th May 2012. I got to run over a bridge with Roman guards on and there must have been 2000-3000 people watching as I came over. I love the crowds at races but this was just out of this world! (Including a few shouts from my running club, as expected!) I jogged it but it went like a blur. Very grateful for the opportunity and wish I could do it again.

Wondered if there's any on here who shared a similar experience? image 

Comments

• I think you'll find most on Ebay

• I watched it as my son was a torchbearer.one of the best experiences he has had.........

the local childrens charity used his torch for their pantomine last weekend of aladdin........and it has been taken around schools, brownie groups, youth clubs and ladies groups ..........

and the sun was shining and i love watching the video of it as he was on stage for a while talking to the DJ before handing it over...

• Looking back it does seems to me to be the "non event" of the year. All hype and no real substance. Is it just me or does anybody else think that?
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

I agree (but I'm a miserable git, and accept I might be in the minority on this).
    I did a section of the real relay, which was better because it was real and a relay. 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Looking back it does seems to me to be the "non event" of the year. All hype and no real substance. Is it just me or does anybody else think that?

I agree too.  I really couldn't see the point of it.  

I did go up the road to watch it go by, in case it was a "you had to be there" kind of thing - but it was all sponsors' vehicles, police vehicles... wasn't this supposed to be the "green" Olympics?

• Did you go along NLR ?  I took a day off work and took the family - we had a great day - sun was shining - we had a beautiful walk to see the torch and it was genuinely exciting. 

Wilkie - the Olympics cant be green - you move 1000s of people around the globe.  A few more cars aren't going to make much difference. 

• I didn't have any involvement in the torch relay but I don't feel the need to piss on anyone's chips about it either.  image

As for the Olympics generally, once they've finally put the grass back in Greenwich Park I'm fairly sure my lasting memories of the whole thing will be very fond ones.  Top summer of sport.  image

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

Perhaps you had to be there in spirit as well.

My Mrs ran the torch through our town centre, the streets were packed with thousands of people - all happy, smiling, cheering. She had the most fantastic day - really buzzing with excitment.

And then we went to see Mo win the 5000m - really top day.

Since then she's been invited to a number of social & chartiy events (and I've blagged my way along as well), we've met more torch-bearers, games-makers & other volunteers and celebs - met Dame Kelly Holmes on Monday evening.

It's still going on really - the local council are genuinely trying to capture the "legacy" thing to improve sports opportunities for the town.

• PhilPub wrote (see)

I didn't have any involvement in the torch relay but I don't feel the need to piss on anyone's chips about it either.  image

Some just love doing it though, they will deffo have a Bah Humbug Christmas image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The OP asked for other people's experience of the torch parade.  Should only people who agree with the OP reply?

• Wilkie - certainly not, but there are posters on here who are certainly have a glum outlook on most topics image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    How can it be described as a non event? Every time I saw it, in person or on tv there streets were full of people enjoying it. For many of the evening celebrations 3 or 4 times more people turned up compared to what was forecast at the beginning of the year.

Maybe not your cup of tea but can't be described as a non event.
  • I wanted to join the club, had a run with them and the bloke who ran with me was going on and on about his torchbearing feat, how he ran 40 marathons and raised over £50.000 in charity. After this I never came back. Either you do fundraising for self gratification or for real reasons. I wanted to do endurancelife relay but I was beaten to a place by somebody.

• I got up extra early and went to the torch parade. A few vehicles drove by and coca cola people gave out unhealthy drinks and someone really unfit person ran past with one of many thousand grotesque looking pieces of metal. I wasn't pissing on chips as I prefer vinegar and certainly wasn't dissing the whole Olympics which was a huge worldwide success due to some re-turfing.
  • You don't need to justify yourself petal, you are entitled to your opinion and I for one value it very highly.

• I had a great time on the day and have had many more since going to schools/clubs/supermarkets and even a residential home (No one there could get to see it so it went to themimage )and since then it's been used to raise around £3k for charity. On the day I went to a local school where a mini olympics had been organised for 6 schools and all the children/staff/helpers were very excited about seeing it. Not everybody's bag but for those whose bag it was and is, it's a bit special, Oh, and it won't be going on ebay either. The LoCoG nominees had to buy their own yet I believe the sponsors runners, in the main, had theirs bought for them so they may have been more inclined to sell!

• seren nos and oi.you- what are your relatives torchbearers called? I may know them! I've met hundreds of flame bearers! Such an awesome bunch of people. By far the most inspirational I've ever met. I'm honoured to be part of them. If all of you guys on here criticising it met some of these people and heard their stories you'd be sure to appreciate it more.

'Grotesque' pieces of metal? Oh come on! There must be some jealousy there? Maybe I'm just biased as I have one proudly on my mantelpiece but it's definitely a beautiful and iconic looking thing. I will never see how it is a 'non-event' either.

Tinselcelt- good to find someone else! I've raised money for charity with it too but not that much- that's fantastic! Where did you run? 

• tinsel celt...........I don't think that having the torch bought for you makes a difference to whether you sold it or not.......

i know a couple early on sold the torch for the charities that they were nominated for as they felt the torch was not really theirs but the charities.........

i can see it weasn't everyones cup of tea.but t was ion the tele enough for you to unsderstand what it was about..........i think it really strange that afgter seeing the coverage and knowing what it was about that some people then still went to watch it  even though they knew they wouldbn't enjoy it...........I'm sure there is a word for that.....

I also think it s a good design and the faces of people that hold it is amazing..I didn't think it would mean so much to those not taking part

• acdcgirl wrote (see)

I wanted to join the club, had a run with them and the bloke who ran with me was going on and on about his torchbearing feat, how he ran 40 marathons and raised over £50.000 in charity. After this I never came back. Either you do fundraising for self gratification or for real reasons. I wanted to do endurancelife relay but I was beaten to a place by somebody.

I'm suprised you didn't go back because of one person................he probably didn't know what to chat to you about and if you had gone back 3 or 4 times and the same guy had run with you each time and told you the same stories i could understand.........

but to only give the club one chance seems strangeimage

• In all honesty, I just wanted the sport to start. And when it did I never wanted it to end.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My son stopped mid run and ran off to the side of the road and passed it tohis younger brother.it was a magical moment for them.........really touched us.......just scared the security for a moment as they didn't know what he was doing.we have the full bbc coverage of his leg which lasted a long time as he had a double leg and then a big interview before handing over to the next one...........

its a memory that weill be with them for everimage

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    That's so sweet, letting his brother have a turn!
  • A Chinese Telecoms boss ran past my house holding the torch -  it wasn't something that I felt merited much attention given that it seemed to me that there may be more worthy torchbearers around.  Still, he did it in good heart, having his photo taken before the run with local children etc so I didn't have a downer on the whole event. ..and my neighbour gave me a beer as well, which was nice !

I did enjoy seeing the effort that some areas went to - Torvill and Dean giving it a spin on an ice rink in Nottingham was a very good idea

• My aunt carried the torch. It was an incredible moment for her and the rest of the family. Meant so much to her!