8 day training week

Hi all

I'm a fairly new runner, only started running in August and loving it!! However due to working shifts I am finding it hard following the normal 7 day training week.I've looked high and low trying to find an 8 day training programme but can't find anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or have any ideas on how to modify a 7 day one.

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• Forgot to say I've just started training for a half marathon which is at the end of march and have run 2 10k this year (51 mins last sunday and 53:26 at the start of september). Up till now my training has consisted of running routhly every other day and 2-3 gym sessions a week (30mins cardio followed by 45min weights). However my running sessions used to be unstructured, just used to run as fast as I could for as long as I could. After last weekend I was a bit gutted as I wanted a sub 50min time so I've been trying to work out a training plan as I think was training the wrong way.

I'm Hoping to run a sub 1:45 half in march and then planning to do 5-6 10k's followed by another half next year.

Any advice would be greatly recieved!

Thanks

• Hi Runniung Toad. I would say just take a 7 day schedule and add another easy/recovery/rest or gym session. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to add another harder workout. It sounds like you would most benefit from taking it a bit easier on some of your runs. Firstly it will build up you aerobic endurance, spend more time on your feet and also it will help you put a little extra into your other sessions. Secondly, don't be tied by the schedule. If it leads you to build up your mileage too quickly or do too much faster stuff it won't do you any favours. And keep posting on the forums - there are lots of folks on here who will be only too pleased to help you on the way. Best of luck.

• It's hard to say without knowing the mileage you're running, but STOP running as fast as you can for as long as you can. Your body will not recover from each run.

I would aim for 4 runs over your 8 days, building up to 6 miles in each, then start building one run up slowly into your long run. Most of your miles should be slow (about 10 min/mile) If you want to push the pace on one of the runs maybe include a tempo run (3 miles at 8 min/mile) or some fartlek, or intervals.

It sounds like an oxymoron but you have to run slower to go faster.

Read the first three posts here

• I can never understand to run faster you have to run slower! but will start slowing it down, Sounds like a good idea just using a 7 day schedule and just putting a gym session in on the 8th day.

Thanks for the responses, I thought running was easy untill I started looking at training programmes!

• Just got back from my 2nd easy run this week (havent done any long or tempo runs in this week as I've got a 5 mile race on sat) and I've tried to slow my pace down, both runs were about 9:10 min/mile, I've tried to slow it down more but it feels really uncomfortable!! However I can now see the point of slowing some runs down as my legs haven't ached and they felt really fresh this morning. Hopefully going into the race on sat they will still feel fresh!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    runnuing toad wrote (see)

Thanks for the responses, I thought running was easy untill I started looking at training programmes!

It is easy. Training progrmmes are a guide not a cast iron recipe for success.

Running training is based on principles not rules and laws.

🙂

• That makes alot of sense now. I think I was trying to copy a couple of friends of mine who run 10k in 35min and their running week is very structured (a bit to much according to their wifes!!). I feel now I've learnt those priciples I will be able to achieve my targets (sub 45min 10k, sub 1:45 half and just to complete a marathon) without it taking over my life!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    runnuing toad wrote (see)

I can never understand to run faster you have to run slower!

A lot of newer runners end up doing everything medium hard, thinking the only way to improve is to continually attempt to smash it.

Firstly they simply haven't the conditioning to run a proper hard session, and secondly, through running everything medium hard they get fatigued.

You'll get plenty of gains simply by running everything slower, but when that levels out, you need to do the majority easy to allow 1 or 2 really hard workouts.

It's those couple of workouts that are the money, but the rest of the structure is the support works. You need both to get faster long term

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Totally agree.

Conditioning is key. You need good condition before being able to safely apply a load which makes an improvement.

Most of my own improvements are based on giving the current training a slight nudge, rather than the beating it will never forget.

🙂