How long will it take?

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could advise me.

In September this year I was in the best shape of my life. i am 5.5 and I averaged a weight between 7 stone 12 and 8 stone. I ate well, and i had a lot of lean muscle and as I did pilates I had nicely cut abs too.

I was getting faster and faster in terms of running, I had done quite a few races, both trail and road. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I went through a bit of a slump. I had started a profeesional course which I had to fit in around work, and although I used to run early in the mornings before work,the long days and mileage started to become more of a chore, instead of the passion it had been before.

I haven't run properly for about 2 months, and have recently had a wake up call, and rediscovered my love for it again. I can still run distance comfortably, but I have gained a stone, and I haven't even bothered to timing my runs (too depressing)

Anyway I really want to get back to my former glory, and I'm desperate to lose the stone I've put on. I hate the pudge I can see on my waist and legs where I was once lean! Does anyone know how long it is going to take to get back into shape?

Comments

• However long it takes you will just have to put up with it. I have realised that as I became older that the journey to your goal can be pleasurable as well. Four years ago I started off at 14 stone and over the course of 9 months came down to 8 stone 7. I enjoyed the process of losing weight immensely. I am now a stone heavier but feeling that this is my optimal weight. I work a lot on strength and do running 6 days a week. I am also vegan. I do not work so it's my committment to myself. When the children are at school I run and do other fitness things. Hope things will work out for you, determination is the best motivator.

• I'm not saying i won't take pleasure in the journey. I have always loved running and strength training, i am just frustrated with myself for letting myself burn out and work take priority. Unfortunately we are not all lucky enough to not to have to work. I used to be up at 5am every morning and I never complained, but for some reason trying to keep up with 40 mile weeks plus 10 hours of study got too much for me.

• Hey Emily, I had a long (8year) layoff due to an ankle operation, then we had young kids etc & I didn't seem to want to find the time to go running as it used to end up aching too much. My wife suddenly started running two years ago & I went to races to support her, everytime I thought I'd want to do it too. So, in March this year I started again, I was initially 14st 3 and it was a struggle, but you need self discipline. I kept at it & am down to 12st7, just ran a 44.20 Brighton 10k, I ran it in 38.48 years ago (I was 11st 8) but know those times & weight just aren't gonna return for the ammount of training I do, but I am enjoying it again & the weight's dropping still. Try & strike a happy medium with running/work/social life etc.

• Start timing your runs,t o give you feedback and join a club for company and motivation. Try and make use of the dead time e.g study on the train freeing you up to run when you get home. Get into a routine of get home, run for an hour, study for an hour then sleep.
  • thanks for the advice guys although to be honest the scheduling isn't really the issue. I think I just burnt out for a variety of reasons, overtraining and anxiety being a couple, but I have plenty of motivation to start again, running is something I have realised I can't do without. I mainly just wondered what sort of time frame I should set to work towards. I'm not overrweight, I am 8 stone 9 as of today, I'm just not at the level I was 2 months back, and at 7.12 I was really lean, so I'm obvoiusly noticing a difference even if no one else  does. 

• Glad to hear that you realised can't do without a run, any form of exercise needs to be enjoyable otherwise you just don't do it in the end. Surrey Runner's right, running as part of a club is infinitely better than running alone, you are much more motivated to push yourself. Find a local club, the times will come down as will the weight, it does takes time though, trying a crash diet to drop weight isn't recommended & will set you back. I bought a cheap Garmin, (FR10) it helps motivate me when I can see improvements in times for courses that I run regularly. Good Luck!