Halstead marathon

Right here goes, just tried entering this marathon and got into the registration page etc and there's two options. Running non championship and championship?

So clicked championship. I'm part of a running club etc and it says at the end that.......can you confirm that you haven't ran any championship races in 2013 ?

Am I being thick or something but surely I will have ran championship races in 2013 by the time this marathon starts.

Any help on this subject would greatly be appreciated. I haven't properly registered yet because it confused me abit and got scared so didn't accept. Oh and by the way this would be my first marathon

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Jason - that will be the County Championships...Essex I guess.   You are eligible if you were born in Essex or have lived there for the last 9 months.   But you cannot enter any other county championships in any one year even if you're eligible (i.e born in one county but live in another).

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jason, that's my understanding as well. If you haven't run this race before enjoy. It is a brilliant event, fantastically organised on a lovely undulating course.

I've done it the last two years and already entered for 2013.
  • Ok so I don't have to enter under Essex championship image just under my affiliated club.

I thinks ill enter that one soon then image

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to it.

DS2 I've read the reviews and it seems to be what I'm looking for in my first. Just got to start the training image
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Jason. Make sure you get lots of hilly long runs in then. It's undulating but not too tough. I'm sure you will enjoy.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Shall we use this thread as an opportunity to keep in touch with those intending to do this marathon? Be good to keep each other going!

• I think that's a brilliant idea DS2. Entered it this morning so yes hilly training for me in the up and coming months.

Went on a nice LSR trail 2day kindly arranged by a member of my club, was a brilliant 9.5 miles image
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Jason. Sounds like just the sort of training needed. Where is your club?
  • Morning all. My clubs called grange farm and dunmow runners or GFDR.

Really good club only been a member for few months, excellent training nights and lovely bunch of people.

As only being a wee 23 years I've learned soo much from them already and improving all the time.

Are you part of a club DS2?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Jason - good news that you've entered.   It's a lovely marathon.   Not sure if I'm doing it next year as it's a pig of drive from Devonimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Jason - I was a long time ago but because of circumstances it has been rather difficult. Just looking to rejoin now. I'm down in Kent (Rochester way) so have a few good options.

Here is a link that tells you quite a bit about me!!!

Vote for DS2 here....

• very impressive pitch david hope you get through. youve got my vote!

nice time btw i hope to be in that region one dayimage.  hopefully you can just pick up where you left? like riding a bike as they say! or duck to water etc image

• thanks shades just a sper of the moment thing before i ventured out for me LSR.

been looking forward to a marathon the day i started running. (used to be a 20 a day smoker) just didnt think i would enter into one this quickimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Jason - thanks, much appreciated!image

A great story - giving up smoking  will stand you in good stead for the mental strength you will need to prepare and run a marathon. It's always good to set a target - keeps you motivated in the winter!

Good luckimage

• Morning all on this frostie Essex morning image

Running tonight round the local route, should be around the 5 mile mark with 2hills included.

Any tips on how I can vamp up the run, usually just run around 9-10mm get home, foam roll then down the pub image but only the oneimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

jason - only the one pub or one beer? image

When ramping up the mileage follow the 10% rule both for weekly mileage and longest run. Adding on a mile at a time is best up to 10 miles if you aren't very experienced. How many times a week are you running and how many miles?

• david-only the one cider for me, even then im pretty merry image (i am only small)

well id like to say im experienced enough already i do anything from 15-20 miles a week. i run tuesday, wednesday (club), friday and sunday (LSR or race)

obviously in the new year ill have to think about hiking the mileage up for marathon trainingimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Running 4 times a week is a good base. I'm sure you will find you are able to build up sensibly. Make sure you run the majority of the miles easily at first to build the endurance. Speed can come in later!

• i hope so image 

my current races to date have been:

hatfield broad oak 10k- 46:00

great bardfield 10k-48:00 (very hot day)

tiptree 10 miler-1hr 12

stebbing rememberance 10 miler-1 hr 11

there was another 10k but cant remember the time off top of me head

hopefully (my goal) is to do a sub 10k at hatfield broad oak next year, it was a fantastic race and lovely scenery etc so id love to smash my P.B there.

oh and im currently in a run of  XC events at the moment but dont time them because they are just so fun (very muddy and wetimage

• I did Halstead as my first marathon in May - well worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to get 1st place in my age group and good for age entry for London.  I live in the country, much like the Halstead route, and can't go far without having to do some hill work which really helped on the day.

• Hi Teresa, brilliant on the result. Glad you got to see what Essex has to offerimage

Much of the reviews have mentioned the hills!

Really feeling guilty tonight as I missed my run image too much going on at work!

Didn't go pub either image

O well ill just have to go flat out in training 2moro! I think it's hill training on the schedule if I'm correct : D

Now to have some Chinese image
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

This is still my PB race and in my opinion one of the best around... would do next year but am doing VLM and not prepared to do 2 in 2 months.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Teresa - great result. Lovely event isn't it. I've done last two years and doing it this year as well - unless I get voted in for the Asics target 26.2.

HI RFJ. When did you run your PB there?
  • RFJ- that sounds promising if its PB potential.

Obviously mine will be a PB due to beinng the first image

David- your getting through image won't that be a waste of money if you cancel?
  • morning all on this bitter morning again!! holding cold tools is not fun in this weather image

running tonight (i promise image) always enjoy my club training sessions as we allways push each other. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Jason - I'll probably run both even if Halstead is more of a LSR. That way I can run to enjoy it.

It is not really hilly but you need to be well prepared and then it is reasonably fast. Good luck tonight! I went out for 5.5 miles this morning and it was minus 6! Mind you it warmed up and was only minus 5 by the end!!!

Have you voted?

• david- wow good on you if you can manage both image!

i always thought about getting up at the crack of dawn and running but its so inconvenient for me! definately warming up then image!

probably be around 5 miles tonight ending in a nice 1-2 mile slow 'cool down' should really think about getting a GPS watch to accurately track my mileage!

yes certainly have voted image 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Not sure I can!!! But I'll give it a go!image

I ran for years without a Garmin but feel like somethings missing when I run without it now. Problem is that you can spend so much time looking at your watch you forget to enjoy the scenery!

• Back from running in the cold!!

Didn't go as planned due to weather being un-predictable. Nice turn out as it goes!

Ran 7.5 miles including some hills at effort, averaged around 7-8mm all in all a good nights training image

Got bit of a niggle in the groin that I wasn't expecting image started after Sundays LSR! Thought it would have gone by now but hasn't, didn't hinder me too much but felt it around the 6mile mark.
  • Nice easy run tonight! Possibly later than expected as busy again!

Looks like a 5-6 mile easy 8/9mm to Finish the week off ready for Sundays MESSY XC.

If anyone's about on Sunday and fancys a must do XC then go to stebbing, you will never forget this one image
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Jason

Looks like you are training very well at the moment. I'm meant to be out for an easy run at lunchtime after a hard interval session yesterday but it is, absolutely, throwing it down here in bexley at the moment so I might hang on until later. Got a couple of steady runs planned for the weekend.

I didn't get selected for Paris so will be giving my all at Halstead!!!