Comments

• Great pitch Malcs, Asics loss is Forum 6 Gain image

• you all ok - i return to training in 14 days image

i promised my consultant i would not try before - its been tough though

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    yesterday I said never...today I'm saying maybe

...tomorrow...;-) ??
  • Go on jen

Mick.glad to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel........be patient.you will get there

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks StewartC. Go on jen, Llanelli marathon as well? Someone else can man the trestle table - do it, do it, do it! 

• Minni wrote (see)

RW do it every year - you think it's going so well than at the last minute they put a spanner on the works. It's crazy to put people into categories and ask them to tout for votes then nobody wins.

It was a bit ridiculous, but im over it now....i reckon it was a blessing in disguise, just feel sorry for all my friends and family who have spent their days voting for me and spreading the news.

• Was about to start my application but ive completley run out of time....christmas part to get ready forr. I will complete it over the weekend and submit it before Monday image

• I am away all weekend (its my christmas) but I shall leave you in the capable hands of my chief pressganger  !!

Minni ... reel 'em in  imageimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image Don't leave me alone with this lot!

• why, we dont bite

whats your club vest minni - cannot place you

• You'll be fine ... if you need back up, call Seren  image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Mick you don't remember me from Haddington last year?

• Haddington HM  - send me a photo

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I'm afraid that there are some biters here Minni...

• And the odd dragon. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Behave. image  I have strict instructions to keep everyone in order and to get more pitches before Monday! 

• You're doing a great job Minni. image

Come on now people - keep Minni in Meldy's good books by pitching. 

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Yes, a very odd dragon... image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

What am I doing reading all of this at this time of the morning !!! image

I pitched to get to bootcamp and like many got rejected without being told that I was rejected which made the rejection all the worse. But this rejection pales into insignificance compared to those who made it to voting.

I voted for all those who were regularly on the other thread from early days and was a little perplexed by the final outcome.

Having read all these pitches there are some great ones and I am wondering how I compete with them.

I love running. It keeps me sane and I have been out in the cold and dark these last few weeks putting the miles in.

I am using an Asics training plan but it is too slow for me. But is this where I am going wrong ? And what about speed training and nutrition and and and .....

Have not decided to pitch yet. I have run the VLM twice but not got under 4 hours.

I am running 5 miles consistently now in 38 minutes. Doing 10 miles tomorrow.

I would like to get under 3:45. I think I put 3:56 in my original pitch to that other crowd.

To pitch or not to pitch, that is most definitely the question .....

Will sleep on it and see what you good folk have to say. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for the Forum 6 Carl. You know what you want, you're questioning your training and you've got a realistic target. In fact that's almost the perfect pitch above, just need a bit more background and some PBs. image
  • I think you've just pitched Carl. image

• Can I add why I'd like to be one of the 6 to my pitch:

1. My family are getting really bored hearing about my training and I'm only in week two. They start to yawn or change the subject ;(

2. I'm an enthusiastic newbie and tend to go too fast in training. I've read about going slower than marathon pace in long and easy runs but I think a little part of me is not convinced of the benefits.

3. I tend to over research and overanalyse things whether it be what hat to wear or what type of plan to go with so will be good to have the advice of experienced old timers.

4. I would really LOVE to do the VLM again next year, so for this reason I'd like to get a GFA time this year.

5. I think we can make this thread better, longer, more informative, more amusing than the Asics one image
  • ahh, who you calling an expereinced old timer LOL image

• Hi slowkoala. good pitch.can we have just a little bit more info.how liong have you been running and what races have you done ... and what times did you getimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice addition Snowkoala! image
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    I saw Minni kissing Santa Claus wrote (see)
    Sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for the Forum 6 Carl. You know what you want, you're questioning your training and you've got a realistic target. In fact that's almost the perfect pitch above, just need a bit more background and some PBs. image

Thanks for the encouragement. Just what is needed to get me to complete my pitch.

A bit of background on me.

My race history is as follows :

1. VLM 2011 4:46:03 (Half 2:11:15)
    2. Royal Parks half 2011 1:47:01 PB
    3. Silverstone Half 2012 1:53:56 (Race had started when I got to start line !)
    4. VLM 2012 4:23:51 (Half 1:54:20) PB
    5. Bupa (London) 10k 2012 0:49:46 (5k 0:24:53)

My sports watch tells me that my fastest 5k and 10k are :

1. 5k 0:23:05 PB
    2. 10k 0:46:43 PB

I started running a few years ago to get fit and then decided that I needed a target to keep me motivated which is why I started entering some 10k's.

Over dinner with some friends early in 2010 I said that I would run the VLM in 2011 for a charity that they were connected to. And the rest is history as they say. I have the bug.

My first marathon was not the best. The time is respectable for a first marathon but I carried an injury in and it was hard work getting to the finish line. The fact that so many people had sponsored me meant that I just had to keep going.

Coming out of that experinece I decided that I had to do it again as I wanted to get down to the 4 hour mark. I did not get a place in the ballot for the 2012 marathon so I ran for a charity.

I took the training seriously and trained 4 days per week. I kept a detailed spreadsheet. I was made redundant early in the year and one benefit was that this gave me the time to do the training. I have 3 kids, boy and 2 girls, now 9, nearly 7 and 5, so am kept rather busy in the evenings.

I felt really good on marathon day and started well but probably too fast. Disaster struck on mile 8/9 when I went over on a discarded lucozade bottle. Again as I extracted money from people I kept going to the finish but faded as the face went on. Remember one chap saying to me to keep moving. If looks could kill, he would be no longer ...

I love running in the open. It allows me time to think and I treat it as my time. I hate running on treadmills. They are so monotonous.

After London this year I set myself a goal of running the other major marathons; Paris, Berlin, New York, Chicago and Boston.

My wife thinks I am crazy and maybe I am.

I entered Paris before I heard about Asics 26.2. But having followed the thread I realised that there are so many experienced runners willing to help people on the forums here, that being part of Asics 26.2 is not the be all and end all. The free kit would have helped.

Why do I want to be one of the RW Forum 6 ?

I need the help. I set up an Asics training plan based on my PB data and it came back with a 4:06:00 target time.

I know I can do better than that. I have been running 3 times a week since 23rd October and have clocked up 136 miles so far. When the plan tells me to run a fast pace of 8:35 - 9:00 per mile I am doing it at 7.30 - 7:45 per mile and whilst I am working hard I am enjoying it. I have been doing this type of thing now consistently for the last 4-5 weeks.

So I need a new plan but what should it be ?

It would be great to turn up in Paris and to compete against the competition.

That's me.image