very very poignant song for me

what: well not sure if I will run today, managed 7 yesterday

why: lots to do and not sure I want to

last hard: the hill at the start of the 7 miles

last easy: friday

enjoy your sunday folks

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• Morning! Good to see you starting the thread Wabo!

Lyrics: yes

What: a walk plus stretches

Why: rehab
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate-The Positive. Written in 1944 and sung by many people since, the latest being Jools Holland and Rumor.

What:             LSR
    Why:              Won't get a chance next weekend
    Last hard:      2/12
    Last rest:       14/12

Lyrics - vaguely familiar

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • What: dunno

Why: actually quite a pleasant morning after the storm yesterday

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: Friday

Lyrics: no
  • Afternoon! Very quiet again!

What: 5.5k walked including 5k in 48 minutes flat.
    Why: trying to speed up!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Yes it is very quiet.

Lyrics: no - closest I can get is Dylan's "Spanish Harlem Incident", which it isn't.

So here's my what, why and wherefore's:

What: 9.7M steady, though picking up a bit over last 3M

Why: A bit of "any mile is a good mile".

Last hard: not for a while

Last rest: not for a while. Unnecessary in the case of a last hard being not for a while.
  • Good evening. Lyrics no, on a bad streak recently!

What: Nothing today but parkran yesterday, got a PB for Brockwell by 11 seconds. Still a minute to go to beat my old course PB (flatter Richmond).

Why: Lots of Christmas stuff today. Babysitting for a neighbour tonight, putting the cash towards VLM fundraising.

Last hard: parkrun.

Last rest: Today.
  • Evening image

Not much productive this week. Done most today bar a good walk on the trails with the mutts. Parkrun yesterday, pretty disappointed with my time. Started off too quick trying to break away from the pack and faded badly in the last mile. Finished in 21:12, hopefully put in a sub 20 next week.

Double day tomorrow if I can pull myself out of bed. Try and catch up with forum happenings this week aswell. First day of 3 weeks off so try and get into a routine.
  • Sounds busy GGG.

No further hassle from the hamstring Tom?

That's a good walk Alehouse.

Glad the storm has passed OH.

Sweep - enjoy the extended break.

20 miles for me today, it felt much harder work than last weeks 17 which I thought may be due to last weeks 17 and it being quite slippery underfoot but when I checked the Garmin it was actually 3 secs/mile faster. Just goes to show that I'm not great at judging my effort.

• Evening!

Well done at Brockers, GGG! And that's a good long run in the bank, LMH. Would be a nice habit to get into!

Advice please: I'm going to buy my daughter a new bike for her 23rd birthday in January as somehow she left her bike at Uni last summer! She says she wants a road bike but from the very, very little that I know I think she may be better with a hybrid given that the river bank is at the bottom of our road: shale type surface, mostly. By and large the bike will only be for occasional use, both on and off road. Would really appreciate thoughts from the bikers amongst you.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all

11.25m for me today just over 90 mins, easy base... 43m for the week

2 more weeks of base then hit the road for VLM training on the 31st.....

Take care all

• Alehouse - if it will be used off road as well as on then either a hybrid or a mtb with slick tyres really. I ride my road bike on the local cycle paths on occasion - a compacted gravel surface - but not at this time of year. I'm considering replacing my mtb with a hybrid when the time comes as the position on the mtb isn't as comfortable as my road bike and it's quite heavy to haul around - though I do still have nobbly tyres on.

• It's that time of year when I realise just how far behind my promises I really am.
    Yesterday's lyrics were familiar, but then again I did see Jools Holland (almost namesake) a few weeks ago. Today's seem familiar too, but a Google shows me to have the wrong Spanish Harlem era worm. Yup, era worm.

Alehouse, road bikes hate gravel, they don't even like rough roads. They are harsh and sharp and pass on all the vibrations from road surfaces. But on a smooth dry road they are very fast. Flat bar commuter/hybrid bikes have got more give about them. My old touring bike with a lightweight steel frame is so much nicer on the bum and hands, this is sounding like an advert for Nivea.
    -Never buy a road bike for someone else, they are so VERY personal, you've got to get over the tough love before you really enjoy them.
    -A hybrid is the modern tool on offer for most people, and it's good at what it says.
    -An MTB is designed for tough terrain, and as a result is quite heavy.

Think of it like this:
    -A hot hatch GTI with rail hard suspension and razor sharp steering.
    -The car you could take shopping.
    -A farmer's Landrover.

LMH: Big bonus points for the mahoosive training run of the weekend.
    I've pretty much canned all training this week due to an annoying cold. I swam Monday. Bike Saturday in the pissing rain (great idea, that was), canned tonight's swim and have not even done any singing practice. Too much talking is a challenge.