Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• One thing I have learned this yr is that u can make as many plans as u want but always expect the unexpected to go and ruin them!!!!

As I recover from shin splints and learnt to deal with that, last Sunday I then get the worst tooth ach I've ever had!!!!

Ok I go to dentist on the Tuesday get it sorted and plan the weeks training, when WHAM........ Out of no where I get the FLU. First time in Seven yrs. it has knocked me for six not to mention knocked my training.

However have now taken a few days off work (which is alien to me) and will return to work next week but not training. Going to have all of next week of and start my MT on Xmas day with a gentle 4 mile run in the morning (what did I say about not making plans,,,,,) and then start all over again. Great to read all your posts keep it going, with all the set backs I have had since September I know that if I can do it then so can you.
  • Well hello again BM forumites. So good to hear from so many familiar names. I've joined the BM late this year as I hadn't planned to run Brighton a third time....but after the disappointment of finding out that New York was cancelled (just as I checked into my Manhattan hotel), I couldn't let all that training go to waste.

So, I'm back at the beginning of another training plan, only 8.5 miles today, but i'm looking forward to sharing the highs and lows over the next four months. BM x3 was meant to be.
  • Stephen the fates aren't being kind are they hope you recover soon and things go a lot better

Picklelilly what a disappointment Brighton's better any way image

• Hello all, I just found this thread. Brighton will be my first marathon, so it's all a journey into the unknown. I have been building up my mileage the last few months and just crossed off my first week of proper training (34 miles), and i am glad today is a rest day.

I have a grumbling Achilles that I have to manage, and an IT band issue that is currently quiet as well as a history of back problems, so getting to the start line is going to be an achievement. For that reason rest days involve a long session of leg and core strengthening!

Question for people who have run Brighton before: are the training seminars worth the money and the trip down from London?
  • morning all,

Welcome jr2408 and welcome back Picklelilly.

Tenjiso - yes as I am currently training for the Thames Trot 50 in February.image

Stephen - get better soon and enjoy your Christmas morning run.

• image  see?   Speechless!

(seriously well done Charlotte!!)

• Afternoon all

7 miles for me today took 1hr 12 minutes so happy with that as the last 1.5 miles is all up hill

• Some seriously impressive first weeks of training here guys, very good work image

A quiet week of 14 miles for me, as the slightly dodgy ankle grumbles on. Going to take the first month of training steadily, then re-evaluate and defer my Brighton place until 2014 if it's just not happening due to injury.

• Hi JR2408, I attended 2 of the 3 training days in 2010-11 in preparation for my first ever marathon and I found them to be very good. Not been to one since, but as a beginner there was lots of good advice and it was great to chat to other first time marathoners. Well worth the money I paid for it.
  • Good luck Sarah, hope you get going soon.

Today I ran eight miles, with ten striders to inject a bit of speedwork.  I feel like my knees are faring better with these longer midweek runs.

• Ten miles at 10:20 pace on the treadmill today.

I'm bringing forward my next few runs to keep Christmas Day clear.

• Tumbleweed blowing through this thread at the moment.  Are you all suffering Christmas party hangovers? image   Did the world end at 11:11am and I missed it?

Five miles recovery run today.  Tomorrow will be 13m including some MP miles - weather forecast looks pants image.

• Nice running Tenjiso.

Off work for Christmas now image a 10k run with the dog today felt good. Tomorrows long run should get me near 50 miles for the week. Happy days. I need the miles to offset all the Christmas calories image

Hope everyone else is in full swing of training ....?
  • Afternoon all

Well i actually got the 12 miles done today it will be the first time in 2 years i won’t be going into Christmas a long run behind well i say 12 i slight miss remembrance on how far the route i ran was and it turned out to be just under 13 it clocked up as 12.93 miles and the whole run took 2:08:48 giving me a pace 9:58m/m so the weight loss is paying off already as looking at last year’s run the time is the same but that was barely over the 12 mile mark

• What Christmas party hangover - wishful thinking..........

Did 12 miles cliff path today - took a long time and very hard work - loads of mud,slippery steps etc but lovely to be out when it was dry for a change. Should have done the run tomorrow but decided to move things around to accommodate the nice weather we've had today! Gym work tomorrow when it's meant to rain!

Good running Tenjiso and Toby3!

• My training feels like it is in a good place, I've been running 35 or so miles a week with 'long' runs ranging from 13 - 20 miles (I am training for a 50 mile ultra though as well as Brighton). Going on holiday to Burma on Boxing Day so giving myself a well deserved 2 and a bit weeks off, then start upping the mileage and training from thenwards.

Happy Christmas/Running everyone image

• Good to hear from you all, safe in the knowledge that the world hasn't ended image

Getting back to a more consistent place with training, did a nice steady 5.5 miles this afternoon then it's a rest day tomorrow before a Christmas 5 mile race on Sunday- then marathon training starts properly on Monday!

Happy Christmas & running everybody image

• Good to see you all survived armageddon.  

Take your running shoes Barbie, it's a great way to see some sights off the beaten path.  Erm... watch out for snakes though image

I did 13m this morning.  The first five miles were easy pace (avg 10:39) and the last eight miles were marathon-pace (avg. 9:08).  Miles 11 and 12 felt tough, with two miles of 2% incline into the strong headwind and driving rain.  I could barely see (being a speccy git)!  After mincing around the large puddles on the way out, I ploughed through them on the way back.  Overall, I was pleased with my pacing and actually enjoyed running in the lousy weather image.

That's week two done and dusted for me (36m this week).  Next scheduled run is 10m on Christmas Eve.

• I've also decided to stop trying to avoid puddles - more trouble than its worth I think! I just plough through them and end up with feet that look like prunes....not pretty I assure you!

Just as well I've put a head torch on my Christmas list as I could hardly see on the way back on the cliff paths yesterday - not very nice and I am a bit of a coward in the dark.....my husband did comment that perhaps I was a bit mad - he just may have a point! image

Good running everyone though - I got my pack through from Oxfam today with my T shirt etc - really excited!! 6 miles around the local reservoir tomorrow for me then 2 days off! 10 km race in fancy dress on Boxing Day should be fun...image

• Good running Tenjiso / Barbie - your both sounding well prepared at this stage !!

Nice 12 too Jelleybaby....I too want a head torch !!  I will need one when I do the thunder run this year !!

Good to see your speed is improving with the weight loss toby. Your looking good for that sub 4 image

Sarah - Pleasing to see your running again... you will be fine as long as you build up slowly. I find the hardest part of a marathon is getting to the start line with no niggles. Better to do slightly less and have no niggles/fresh than too get injured by doing too much and missing out altogether !!

I thought I should start running longer, so went to the gym and did 2.5 hours on the treddie today. I watched the arsenal/wigan game to releive the boredom. Too many floods around ( and rain ) to run outside. Managed just under 17 Miles and good to get the first longer run under the belt. Plan another one on News years day to start the new year off well. Lets hope I can run outside then !!

Have a good Christmas all !!

• Hi all. I'm back and looking forward to another Brighton marathon and pb. I finished work for the year yesterday so I switched my brain off. Am I correct in thinking my 16 week plan will start on Monday?

Good to see some of the same faces from last year.
  • AmGettingFitter (AGF) wrote (see)

I watched the arsenal/wigan game to releive the boredom. 

That sounds like a contradiction in terms, AGF image

Well done with 17 on the treadie.

• Kent - yes, 16 weeks to go from tomorrow image Eek.

• Lol.... Think you might be right there Tenjiso...
  • Morning all - haven't posted in a while since Brighton seemed so far away (in time terms!) but now with New Year just around the corner it's all becoming slightly more real.  Have been struggling with running recently - two HMs in 3 weeks took their toll on my knee, combined with neglecting stretching etc so have had problems with medio collateral ligament since October time.  Saw a PT on Friday and have been given exercises to do and physio had a good look at my shoes and made some amendments so am heading off shortly for a jogette!  I really hope that I get to run Brighton this year - have been registered for every year so far but have yet to actually get to the starting line!

Kent am interested in your training plan - my 18 week Hal Higdon novice started a couple of weeks ago which filled me with dread as I haven't been able to start it - what schedule are you following?

Good luck all.  Will try to post more regularly in futureimage

• Goodness 16 weeks today!!! image

Did 5.5 around the reservoir today - lots of mud again - and a section out of bounds due to land slides (I think). Quite enjoyed it - there are little slopes to go up and down but it was much easier than the cliff path run on Friday (also daylight helps!!).

Two days off from running now - work tomorrow though....

• Week 2 of my training plan, so I had four 5 and one 11 miles. So my ankles are rather achy now image. Next week will be a break as I can't do much training.

• HI Trigger

My training plan is a bit of a mix really. I am following the RW itemediate plan for my long sunday runs (including 3 20mile runs) the remainder made up of 10,13.5,15,17 milers. During the week i am doing 3 runs, a combernation of 5m, 5k, sprints and hill runs. I have droped 1 midweek run and replaced it with a 1 1/2 hour core workout session in the gym, this is a combernation of bike, rower, cross trainer and weights.

The gym session is brilliant, i wish i had done it years ago. Not only is it low impact ( easy on the joints) i am finding muscles i never new i had, it is really improving my stamina.

I have found a small local gym, very quiet and following my induction £15 i pay no contract just £4 when i go for my weekly session!

• Evening all!

A nice, muddy 5 mile Christmas trail race for me today, 7 miles in total with warm up and cool down- have never done a trail race before, so was very happy with 42:40! image

Stretched and cooled down well so am hoping to bounce into Day 1 of Brighton training tomorrow with a 5 mile run image

• Week 1 of training done for me, including an 18 miler that I was pleased to see the back of, over 50 miles this week so a great starting point. 55 next week planned (but I always take that with a pinch of salt until its done image). 

Good racing Sarah! I love XC image Its very good training to race off road.

Well done on the 8 at MP Tenjiso - although if you can pull that out at this stage of training, I would suggest your MP is likely to be a little faster...