Starting January 2013

I'm Jules: 3 stone overweight and sedantary... I'm going to turn this around in 2013 and have a plan!

Going to start with "0-30mins in 8 weeks" as soon as 2013 starts. I have a 6 year old daughter, work full-time as a Commercial Manager and my husband's hours don't lend themself to me finding time to train - impossible!? Maybe not. I work from home about 50% of the time and can drop my daughter off at early-club from 8am... have you guessed my plan?

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Good Luck Jules!

One tip would be to write down your plan in your diary/calendar.  When its cold & wet its easy to find an excuse not to get outside, so having it in black & white in front of you makes it harder to avoid.  Once you're out there, its fine - but sometime's its hard to get out the door.

• Good luck!!

I was where you are now last May, it seems like an impossible goal to be able to "run" but stick at it, don't go out to often stick to three days a week for quite a while you might think after a couple of weeks ohh i can skip a run here but i'll add another run there... don't stick to a plan, it also helps those around you if you say every x night i'm going to be running come what may, no matter the weather... if you are arranging a meal out you know not to do it on x nights ... It's a habit and you really need to work at getting into it. But, once you are in the habit it's great and you just don't think about it, you know you have to go out and run image

I lost 5.5 stone with WeightWatchers and running in 2012, so believe me it's possible image

• Thanks Guys.

Stutyr - schedule already on Excel! Will plug the actual days in when I know what days I'm working from home.

Booktrunk - WW for me too! Will be running mornings on days I'm working from home, dropping daughter off at 8am then running home - changing up the route as I get better... then with the car left at school I'll have to walk back to pick her up in the evening (bit of a bonus activity there). Thanks for your advice, I need to plan in advance what I'm going to do on weeks I work from home less than 3 times (maybe some 5am starts!!!)

• Good luck, Jules!  Sometimes the hardest part of these things is actually committing yourself to doing them - so you're well on the way. image

• Jules: My biggest piece of advice re WeightWatchers is by all means add the activity points, but only use weekly or activity points not both.  It semi defeats the object of trying to loose weight if you basically eat all the points that you've earnt.  So I allowed myself to use my Weekly points (in some cases pretty much all 49) but I never used them and my activity points that I earnt.

• Can I join you? I started a thread yesterday, but it hasn't attracted a lot of replies (um, none in fact!) so I'm looking for a home and some like minded people.

I've downloaded a similar programme and am about to fill in my training days in the diary. My plan is to go out in the 30 mins while hubby is bathing the little one before bed.

Hoping to find the support I need on these forums!
  • Oh and I'm trying WW too this year....
  • Yup, good luck Jules and combining your running with WW will really help I'm sure image

• Hi this is my first time on this website and forum and I'm feeling better already! its great to know there are others just starting out. I'm a 44 mother of 3 who commutes 5 hours a day (4 days a week) and its making me feel lousy. I've decided 2013 is my year of change to lose the 2 stone extra weight I've put on thanks to commuting and sitting in too many meetings and to get fit - that means stopping the excuses and the feeling of acute embarrassment that I'm so unfit. I'm so pleased to find this thread, id love to join you in some mutual support. I'm going to follow the beginners training programme on this website. I was given decent running shoes for Christmas and intend to start TODAY! Wish me luck! Good luck to all of you too.....
  • Good luck all!

You wont melt in the rain, just get out there. Once you're wet through you cant get wetter so may as well keep running! 

Good luck CaymanDeb - tell us how it went!! Im off for a run in a bit along the beach, Ive slowly been improving since starting (well - restarting) 6 months ago.. am finally feeling a bit happer with my body (BMI now in normal range and I can see hip bones again!!!) and have a Garmin thanks to Father Christmas woohoo so am keen to get out using it!! 

• Woo hoo I did it! Day 1, run 1 done! I followed the starting to run schedule on here (run for 1 min, walk for 90 secs repeat x8) and it was ok. Ridiculous but was definitely feeling it by run 8 but hey it's a first step. Then did a short burst (100 slow reps) on my son's rowing machine... That was ok too but feeling it already! Ha will enjoy the tired feeling.

Good luck to everyone else and thanks for the good wishes Runningforchocolate it helped!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
  • Being soaked through if caught in heavy rain is not the worst thing for me.  No, the real issue is having to remove my glasses in order to see a damn thing!  Then of course the water goes right in my eyes.

Edit: Well done, CaymanDeb! image  We'll have you running 5k and doing HIIT on that rowing machine in no time... image

• Ha ha here's hoping - thankfully no glasses to contend with! You sound like a seasoned pro.. how long did it take?
  • Good luck Jules and CaymanDeb, it really is worth the effort. My only advice is get out of bed and go for a run, don't give yourself time to think about it or talk yourself out of it. As I have discovered in the resting weeks between doing Bedford Half marathon and starting my 16 wk training programme for MK marathon, if I don't get up and run then it doesn't happen.
  • Hi Maria sounds sensible thank you... You never know maybe I will enter something this year. Good to have a goal... The MK marathon sounds tough though!

When are you starting Jules?
  • CaymanDeb wrote (see)
    Ha ha here's hoping - thankfully no glasses to contend with! You sound like a seasoned pro.. how long did it take?

Me - a seasoned pro?  Ha ha - no, not really.  I haven't done any half marathons or anything like that yet; it still gives me a bit of a chuckle when I see people saying they 'only' went for a nine mile run! 

How long did it take - well, I had to repeat plenty of weeks in the C25k, so it took quite a while to get to 5k.  From then I gradually increased the distance.  I've been running around two and a half years now and I'm at a stage where it doesn't feel like it takes too much effort and I feel confident doing it.  I remember when I first attempted running: once or twice around my local block and I literally had to crash out when I got back home - my fitness was non existent!  So then I decided something had to be done about it and committed to the C25k - the best fitness decision I've ever made. image

My current maximum is probably 10k, which is what I did today.  The most I've ever done is 15k, but then I picked up a knee niggle which basically forced me to start from scratch again.  Target for the first part of the New Year is to build back up to 15k, and then see where it goes from there.

Happy running, all! image

• Well done Camandeb! I hate the first mile of a wet run, hate it with a passion.. then I get past saturation point (or so it seems!) and the running warms me up and it doesnt bother me the rest of the time! I did a good 7.5K this afternoon along the prominade in weymouth, with the Garmin beeping at me the whole time for being too slow lol!  Well I was happy with 9:30 min miles but Garmin wasn't... hmm... need to work out how to use this thing properly and make it be nice! Felt kinda dead by the end, but rushed out and caught the hibbit at the cinema.. gonna sleep well tonight! 

• Wow I'm so impressed Runningforchocolate & Roadrunner 76... I'm deeply amused that I ache today. More the rowing machine but proof (if I needed more!) that this just has to happen!

So here's the ignorance bit - what is Garmin? Obviously a running aid of some sort - I downloaded run keeper yesterday but found it a bit of a pain to have to keep using my stopwatch for each section - any recommendations? maybe im just not using it right (my iphone died too towards the end so big note to self make sure its charged!!!!)

Roadrunner 76 what's the c25... Sorry if that's another daft question!

Runningbella - have you started yet? Good luck for when you do.

Can't wait for my run tomorrow!

Happy day, happy running all.
  • Hi Guys image I've decided to go for it in 2013 too! I'm sooooo excited, and its really nice to be in the company of other newbies! I had a little go an running a couple of years ago and did race for life but nothing since. I'm planning on jumping in right at the deep end and aim for a marathon in June - it might sound strange but I need a big challenge / commitment to work at, and being overweight, unfit, and turning 30 has swayed me to just do it. Good luck and Happy New Year everyone!
  • All of the above, BUT I'm 52. 1st and last attempt at a run was a 5k 6 yrs ago!

Happy New Year & Happy New You!

• My marathon is in June also. In NZ.

• Hi folks - I can't claim to be an expert but as an 'older starter' late 40s when I first huffed and puffed instead of just walking...I just want to say to y'all be careful - your heart and lungs will probably get fit before your bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments do.  Give yourselves time at each distance to build the physical infrastructure before moving on to the next distance.  Otherwise we'll be talking on the injuries threads image 

But it's well worth persisting - enjoy and best of luck with your targets and adventures in 2013.

• Yay! Im so pleased so many of us are all in the same boat! CamenDeb in reply to your question, a Garmin tracks your running basically. Its like a watch with GPS and tracks your speed, distance, calories, heart rate - whatever you want. You can set it up so it beeps at you to go faster or slower, or use it to train at your max heart rate, or to try and find your way back to where you started from!! They're great bits of kit, like I said though ive only had mine for a week or so and Im still trying to figure it out image I think they're about £100 or so, so not cheap.

Hopefully no injuries Louise!! Thats not how Im planning to start 2013image Im going to run later.. when my head is a bit clearer.... 

• Same here. Starting with a C25K plan on the treadmill as I've started a few times before and got injured. Not into racing tho. Looking forward to a fitter bod for summer tho..

• Complete beginner and no running since senior school (23yrs ago) image

Have played squash and done swimming regularly when in my twenties,but since having the kids just got out of the habit and now very unfit.

Not overweight or smoker, but have notice slight breathlessness going up stairs at work and general wobbly bits and muffin top!

Have decided to get fit by myself and have downloaded the couch25 podcasts on the NHS website. I want to learn to love running and be able to run for 30 mins non stop and enjoy it.

I tried to run previously, but just ran until I was out of breath, decided I was rubbish and gave up. I hate quitting and think the couch25 will ease me in gently.

I did my first run the day before yesterday and found it surprisingly ok. A bit of muscle burn and slightly achy muscles yesterday, but did it and felt good.

Also ran early evening, well lit and nobody to see me he he!

5 min warm up walk then 1 min run and 90 secs walking for 20 mins then 5 min warm down walk. More walking than running, but it is a start. Couldn't do today, but back out again tomorrow.

Good luck for 2013 everyone.
  • Good luck all, the best thing I've noticed since starting up again last year is that I can eat what I like!
  • Good luck to you all. Take it easy and build up slowly and dont be afraid to walk if you need to. 

Set some realistic short term goals as ' being fit for Summer' might not keep you motivated. How about 3 runs a week for the next 3 weeks or run for 2 miles without stopping in the next 2 weeks. Give yourself a reward such as some new running gear or a massage if you achieve your goal. 

It will be hard to start with but suddenly one day you will realise that you have done your run without suffering and actually enjoyed it. When its raining and you are looking forward to your run, then you know you are hooked.

I didn't start running to lose weight but after 3 months dropped from 12 stone 6lbs to  11 stone 12 lbs and the small tummy is almost gone.

• It's great to hear everyone's experiences. I've just done run 3! At run 2 I started using the C25 app which I'm finding great as it times everything for you. Physically I felt better today but I really struggled with painful thigh muscles. After run 2 I struggled to sit down or stand up which bizarrely amused me as it felt like I'd started! My thigh muscles still ached before my run today but then became very painful once I started running. All I'm doing for a warm up is walking for 5 mins what else should I be doing. Stretches? All help would be gratefully received.

Really impressed at those signing up for marathons! I'm not that brave yet - might start with a 5k and then build to 10k & half marathon. Good luck!

Thanks for the info about the Garmin runningbella- sounds like a great device. Good luck with it.

Anyone else on twitter? I'm looking for advice & running buddies there too. Same name so if you are please say hi!
  • Hi all - I've also started on the C25K program and really enjoying it (only just did week 2 Day 1 today though). Getting no muscle problems at the mo, so fingers crossed - although I definitely felt my run today. (Almost slightly embarrassed to admit that after only week 2, day 1!)

CaymanDeb - I've just followed you on twitter too...