Born to Run Ultra (40 Miles)

Comments

• Thanks Swansea imp..been out tonight done a slow 6..got the xmas cracker sunday 10k good run on the beach down wsm ....
  • anyone recommend a place to stay/book.wouldn't mind staying after the run for a few shandy's.i usually book digs the night before and drive back home straight after [north cornwall ].not sure how the legs will be the day after to drive though [and the head come to that ] !!

• Hi wigsy . I've booked in the premier travel inn Llanelli east . Closest to the start and 5 minutes taxi journey from train station . I'm making my way friday evening from bristol staying sat for a few ciders up for it...
  • looking forward to a few beers aftertraining been going well having a easy week this week due to work going to football etc hows the chest  blakester  hope your o k now are you wearing a camelback in the race or what do you use

• Training back on done a race sunday only 10k went ok a few runs this week will try a 20 sat.should be ok for the Portsmouth to southsea marathon on the 23rd Dec .. I use a timberland one which carrys 2L with plenty of pockets for treats.
  • booked travel lodge in llanelli blakester - for 3rd the price of premier inn.£46 squid for 2 nights.hey swansea imp i've just bought a 2 ltr camelbak and took it for a 3.30 hour test on sunday.first time i've worn one and didn't have any major issues.

• think i caught your infection last week blakester only managed 3 runs and missed my long run but feeling a lot better now  i have been training with a camelback plus a bum bag just wondered what with water plus jelly babies evey 5 miles plus being able to leave a drop bag 'at 22.5 miles was  just wondering if you would still wear one glad to see that you are booked in wigsy i dont have far to travel only from swansea just got to get the wife to drop me off and pick me up after

• I thought of trying an ultra... I never ran further than a marathon (and only done 2 of those!) is it feasible to train for this thing in just two months?  (are registrations still available?)

• thats bad news swansea imp hope you get better soon,im still a bit chesty but runs going ok.i will wear one carry 2 L water with high 5 zero tabs which i train with and a few gels,and pick some more at half way point.

hi hillary.. i trained for the wall run this year done it in 2 days 32 first day then 37 the next day .i got up to 30 miles on my training runs and a few marathons.if you could run a marathon now go for it the buzz will get you round .. good luck

• Good to hear so many of you are staying for a few beers, is what 'Born to Run' is all about, the social side of things image

Hillary if you feel you are capable then you are...

• happy new year to eveyone hope the trainings going well

• Yes happy new year to all runners not long now .training going good got the Portsmouth coastal marathon under belt next rough n tumble 10 next sunday then the Gloucester marathon week after .
  • Had a great run today at the rough n tumble 10 very muddy and some great hillys good race . Next stop Gloucester marathon but have asked to be moved up to the 50k race that will be my last big run till born to run.I see 60 runners good number.
  • prep 20 race has been put back till so thats a pain  so  no prep race missed long run last two weeks due to a number of things otherwise training not going to bad although lots of snow around swansea today  is it 5 weeks to the race

• Ran the rough n tumble last sunday now got my chest infection back had x ray waiting for results.the Gloucester 50k is off which I couldn't run .hope to be back running soon gutted about snow would love to do a good trail run hey ho .
  • hope eveything is o k blakester managed 21 miles round here yesterday hamstring playing up today thought running was meant to keep you fit

• All ok this end had the all clear start running Saturday few miles to catch up really looking forward to this run & a few ciders after.happy running all...
  • glad to see your o k blakester managed nearly 31 miles yesterday so quite happy will have to be carfull i dont have too many beers after as as long as i get my tickets going to wembley the   next morning

• Should be a good weekend Swansea imp run sat then wembley the next day.sounds like your training going ok a good 31 miles in the bag.I'm doing 25 Saturday try to keep a good pace and try a few goodies on the way.that will be my last long run untill born to run.how was your legs after the 31 Swansea jack ...
  • they were not too bad did a lot of walking monday then four and half tues and 6 last nite but i feel a little jaded today so will rest tonight  and do 10 tomorrow nite all being well think i had a 3 course meal when i did the 31

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Hello

I've entered this also as of yesterday. Treating it as a training (hard test!) run ahead of a 100km end of May. As such I won't get a taper before but will try and keep training up to and through it and so will be going especially slow!

Sounds like a really scenic course? (don't know area at all) And it is all on tarmac so very much road shoes whatever the weather? One last any nods as to cheap hotel close to start for night before? (sadly have to train or drive back to London straight after so won't get to enjoy the post run drinks)

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hello

I'm not running this race, but I am local and will be there supportingimage

It's a lovely scenic route, i run sections of it regularly. Good luck to you all. I'm being slowly tempted for next year...

Premier Inn is the nearest hotel QB, not sure of their rates that weekend though.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

QB - I think Travelodge are offering good deals too, there's a couple in the area.

• My training for this has been crap, I did it last year and am looking forward to it again but I know it's going to feel bad

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Great - thanks Jen and Shades, I'll look at getting something organised for night before

EKGO - don't think that you'll be alone in that! Only done this distance once before and it wasn't pretty! Just got to take it slow and enjoy as much as possible, and in my case try and save something for the long drive back after image

• A week to go, look forward to seeing you all, hope you have all got the communications

• Hitting the pasta this week & jacket spuds.looks like weather will be fresh and cold good for running.looking forward to it...see you all Friday or Saturday morning.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I may DNS having seen the forecast, with wind chill factor a 'feels like ' temp of -7 is too cold for meimage.  I'm hoping the forecast changes.  Will make a decision on Friday.