The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

So this is it.........the road to the Paris Marathon is about to begin...........16 weeks of focused, dedicated training.  What lies at the end, other than a finish medal and empty tubes of vaseline and deep heat? Hopefully a sub 3:30 marathon, a lifelong dream achieved, and the chance of passing on everything I've learnt to others attempting a similar goal.

Feel free to follow my training, experiences, mistakes and successes on this thread throughout the next 16 weeks. I'm an honest (sometimes too honest!) guy and will give an open and frank account of my attempt in succeeding at my goal.

I plan on updating this at least once daily. If I don't, I'm probably carrying out one of many domestic chores, in order to keep my wife sweet and happy, while I throw everything I have into Asics Target 26.2.

Off we go.........................

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Glad to be the first to comment on here Shady_Ady.

Good luck - I'll be following you all the way!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Beaten by DS2 image (probably won't be the last time I say that either)

Best of luck Shade'ster - will be with you every step of the way!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hey malcs, now that no-one is interested in us we'll have to meet for a chat on other people's threads! How was your weekend? Hangoooooooooooooover???image

• Hi Ady!  Good luck with the training! Can you give us any details on what the training schedule looks like that the Asics team have devised for you?  Is it similar to what ypu would have drawn up for yourself or is it a complete divergence from what you would have thought?

• DSanta2 and ChristMalcs Cracker..........thanks for your good wishes, and you are always welcome to takeover my thread for your own personal chats.......it keeps me from being in here all on my lonesome.......but I have 1 rule........no talking about hangovers. Sam has only worked one hangover into my training over the next 16 weeks, and that's for New Years Day! That's going to be a tough rule to follow. So far so good though (what am I talking about, it's been less than one day!).

Xyloid............Yes. I'm planning on putting all my training schedules on here, either week by week, or all in one go (probably both!). Then people can see how (or if) my training plan changes over the 16 weeks as I improve along the way. I'll also be putting on my dietary intake (just to show those who think I'm a garbage bin, that I don't actually eat that much now training has started image ) so people can see if what I'm eating will actually help me reach my goal of losing 16lbs in the 16 training weeks, bringing me in to Paris as one lean, mean running machine (apologies for the cliche!).

I'll also update daily (sorry if that's too much to some people!) on how each training session has gone, how I think I did, where I failed and where I did well.

Today was my first training day, which went perfectly. It was an easy 4 miles, which my training plan said to do between 9:30 and 10:15 mins per mile. I did it in 9:31 per mile.

I would expand on this further right now, but unfortunately I have to go out to a music gig tonight and pretend I'm still 18 years old and up to speed on the current music scene (those years disappeared a long time ago when the first grey hair appeared!). I will catch up with today and tomorrow, when I write about it tomorrow night. Hopefully then I'll be able to answer your original questions in more detail! 

• Ady, are you using Garmin Connect? If so, what is your user name as I could link up and then spy on you properly...;)
  • Evening Ady!

Good to meet you again yesterday and I'll be watching your progress as we've both got very similar targets! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha DS2 - we always have the 26.2 nest to go back to image 

I did 3.5 miles to cure the hangover today so I'm half a mile behind you Ady. 

What was it like running that slow? The only time I think I've ever done over 10 minute miles was when I hit the wall! 

Enjoy the gig - what band(s) are you seeing?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi Ady, nice intro to your thread. I look forward to reading more. image

• Hi Ady, have you forgiven me yet for nicking all the medium-sized topsimage

• Clive......I do have Garmin Connect, but need to set it up and upload my workouts. Ill have this done by tomorrow eve.........now you will definitely know everything I say is true..........no hiding away from Garmin Connect now!

Do you have any races coming up?
  • RRR......our targets are almost identical. What's your mileage like? Are you able to work in your Park Runs into your training? Nice to meet up again. Birmingham will come by in no time!
  • Evening Ady,

Yes - it's going to be good having you doing the same! So ... if we don't see each other during the marathon then one of us has cocked their pacing up?image

My first week is 26 miles ... and includes a parkrun, the 2nd is 31m and the 3rd is 36m, the 4th 39m. What's yours looking like?

• Ady -  Congrats again, is this the first time you have had a target of 3:30 ? 

• Malcs.........If I'm completely honest with you, I know the importance of running slow in recovery runs but I find it so difficult to stay at a speed where I feel like I'm not being tested at all.

Saying this though, if I do this run after a 20 miler then I might see it in a different light. It was good practice though as it'll help practice running slower for my weekend long runs.

Gig was good thanks - Xfm Winter Winderland with Theme Park, Lucy Rose, Temper Trap, The Courteneers and The Editors. More impressively, I drank water too!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Agreed Ady - running at 9mm feels slow but 10+? Is that still classed as moving?image 

Maybe this is where I'm going wrong!

Glad you enjoyed the gig. Water eh? Very impressive. Are you on an alcohol ban or will you indulge over the festive period?

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)
    My first week is 26 miles ... and includes a parkrun, the 2nd is 31m and the 3rd is 36m, the 4th 39m. What's yours looking like?

Hi RRR, what is your current normal weekly mileage? Is this vastly different to what you have been doing?

Ady, same question to you please. How different is your training plan from what you have been doing?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I was going to ask the same questions  as StickyMistletoe. These mileages seem quite low with only 16 weeks to go, but I suppose it's important to ease into it and depends a lot on where you are now.

For what it's worth guys, I have always found running slow hard work but this year I've listened to some people that know better and I've definitely benefitted from the slower recovery running. You'll probably look forward to it on the mornings you get up and your calves are still sore from the speedwork!

• Paris Marathon Training Plan:

This is the current marathon plan I have been given for the Paris Marathon. Although I am attempting a sub 3:30 marathon, this training plan has been written with a 3:36 marathon in mind. My most recent times suggest this. The training plan and paces have the ability to be adjusted every 4 weeks, so I'm very confident my training will be heading closer towards 3:30 as the weeks progress.

PACE GUIDELINES
    Jog (Recovery) = 9.30 to 10.15 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) = 8.30-9.20

Steady = 8-8.30

Fast (Tempo) = 7.30-7.50 (Or for intervals 7.20-7.30)

Speedwork 6.15-7 per mile, depending on distance

Week 1 w/c 17th December
    Monday 4 mile JOG
    Tuesday 5 mile COMFORTABLE
    Wednesday Rest or non impact cross training
    Thursday 5 mile STEADY on hilly route
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 12 MILES COMFORTABLE
    Sunday Rest or non impact cross training
    MILEAGE 26

Week 2 w/c 24th December (May need to jiggle for Christmas week!)
    Monday 4 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 6 MILE BUILD UP (From 8.30 up to 7.30)
    Wednesday REST or non impact cross training
    Thursday 3 x 1 mile at 7.20-7.30 pace with 2.5 minute recovery plus 1 mile w-up/c-down (5 miles)
    Friday REST
    Saturday 9 MILES STEADY
    Sunday Rest or non impact cross training
    MILEAGE 24

Week 3 w/c 31st December
    Monday 5 miles FAST (Suggest structuring this as 1 mile easy, 3 miles FAST, 1 mile easy)
    Tuesday REST (HANGOVER ACCEPTABLE!)
    Wednesday 4 Mile JOG
    Thursday Intervals: 1.5 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 8 x 400m (or 90 seconds) at 6.20-6.40 pace with 2 min jogs in between each. 1.5 MILE COMFORTABLE (4 MILES)
    Friday REST
    Saturday 13 MILES comfortable
    Sunday REST or non impact cross training
    MILEAGE 26

Week 4 w/c 7th January
    Monday 3 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 4 MILE STEADY ON HILLY ROUTE
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Friday 3 MILES JOG
    Saturday PARKRUN OR…
    Sunday 10km RACE (obviously not both! The other day is a rest day)
    MILEAGE 21

PACES MAY NOW BE ADJUSTED DEPENDING ON FEEDBACK AND RACE RESULT

Week 5 w/c 14th January
    Monday 3 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 5 miles FAST (Suggest structuring this as 1 mile easy, 3.5 miles FAST, 1 mile easy)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday Intervals: 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 5 x 800m (or 3 mins) at 6.30-7 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (5 MILES)
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 15 MILES comfortable
    Sunday 3 MILE JOG
    MILEAGE 31

Week 6 w/c 21st January
    Monday REST or non-impact cross training
    Tuesday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Wednesday 3 MILE JOG
    Thursday Intervals: 4 x 1 mile at 7.20-7.30 pace with 2.5 minute recovery plus 1 mile w-up/c-down (6 miles)
    Friday REST
    Saturday 9 MILES STEADY
    Sunday REST or non-impact cross training
    MILEAGE 23

Week 7 w/c 28th January
    Monday 4 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 8 MILE BUILD-UP (From 8.30-7.45)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday 5 MILES: 3 MILES STEADY 2 MILES FAST
    Friday Rest
    Saturday LONG RUN 16 MILES: 10 COMFORTABLE 6 STEADY (16 miles)
    Sunday REST
    MILEAGE 33

Week 8 w/c 4th February
    Monday 4 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 8 MILE FAST (inc W-UP/C-DOWN)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday Intervals: 1 MILE EASY then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 800M (or 3 mins) at 6.30-7 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE EASY (5.5 MILES)
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 9.5 MILES STEADY
    Sunday Rest or low impact cross training
    MILEAGE 27

• ........and the last 8 weeks of my training plan:

Week 9 w/c 11th February
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 6 MILE BUILD-UP (From 8.30-7.45)
    Wednesday 4 MILE STEADY
    Thursday 4 MILE COMFORTABLE plus 3 accel strides
    Friday: REST
    Saturday RACE YOUR PACE HALF MARATHON DORNEY LAKE plus w-up/c-down 15
    Sunday 4 MILE JOG
    MILEAGE 33

PACES MAY NOW BE ADJUSTED DEPENDING ON FEEDBACK AND RACE RESULT

Week 10 w/c 18th February
    Monday REST OR NON IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 4 MILE STEADY
    Wednesday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Thursday 6 MILE BUILD-UP (From 8.30-7.45)
    Friday: REST
    Saturday LONG RUN 18 MILES: 10 COMFORTABLE 8 STEADY
    Sunday 3 MILE JOG
    MILEAGE 36

Week 11 w/c 25th February
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 10 x 400m (or 90 seconds) at 6.20-6.40 pace with 2 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (4.5 MILES)
    Wednesday 3 mile JOG
    Thursday 6 MILE BUILD-UP (From 8.20-7.40)
    Friday REST
    Saturday LONG RUN 15 MILES: 6 MILE @ 9.15, 5 MILE @ 8.45,4 MILE @ 8.15 PACE (15 MILES)
    Sunday 3 MILE JOG/NON IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    MILEAGE 31

Week 12 w/c 4th March
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 5 x 1 mile at 7.20-7.30 pace with 2.5 minute recovery plus 1 mile w-up/c-down (7 miles)
    Wednesday 4 MILE JOG
    Thursday 3 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Friday REST
    Saturday 4 MILE STEADY
    Sunday LONG RUN: 21 MILES COMFORTABLE
    MILEAGE 39

Week 13 w/c 11th March (3 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday REST or 3 mile jog
    Wednesday 5 mile fast
    Thursday 4 mile comfortable
    Friday REST
    Saturday 4 miles steady
    Sunday 11 STEADY
    Mileage 27

Week 14 w/c 18th March (2 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 5 MILE MP
    Wednesday 3 MILE JOG
    Thursday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Friday REST
    Saturday LONG RUN 12 MILES COMFORTABLE (LAST 4 AT MP)
    Sunday REST OR NON IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    MILEAGE 25

Week 15 w/c 25th march (1 WEEK OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 4 MILE FAST
    Wednesday 3 MILE JOG
    Thursday Intervals: 2 MILES EASY 5 X 400M INTERVALS WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (4.5)
    Friday rest
    Saturday 8.5 MILES STEADY
    Sunday Rest or low impact cross training
    MILEAGE 20

Week 16 w/c 1st April RACE WEEK
    Monday 3 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE, 3 MILES MP, 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (5 MILES)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday 3 MILE JOG
    Friday Intervals: REST
    Saturday 20 MINS EASY PLUS 3 ACCEL STRIDES
    Sunday RACE DAY

• ......and like a flash, that's my lumch hour finished (well slightly more than an hour as I slipped in the 2nd day of my marathon training. I'll reply properly to everyone this evening.....back to work on my nipples, clamps and flanges image

• Can't remember if I said well done for getting through Shady - so congratulations for getting through Shady!

Interesting marathon plan - I'm sure it will get tweaked along the line and as you progress. Just wondering about the weekly milage - thought it might have been a bit higher and with some longer runs?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the info Ady. I still think the mileage looks really low but what do I know. I'm sure the coaches really know what they are doing and I have every confidence that all 5 will hit their goals.

Good luck mate!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

looks like me and KR were posting at the same time with the same thoughts. Mind you KR knows a lot more about the coaching having suffered it last year - and it certainly didn't do him any harm!!!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - thanks for sharing your plan. I was also a bit surprised by the mileage and that you only have one 20 miler. Don't take it the wrong way though, I'm certainly not picking holes, just curious as to the thinking behind it.

What did you think when you saw it first?

• Good luck Shady, I don't think I've poped in to pass on my good wishes yet.

• good luck on the journey..did they share the reasoning for going for low mileage training plans this time around........for first timers i can see the point is starting low and steady.but for experienced runners I am at a lost.hopefully all will be revealed soon...........

any ideas where the coaches are this year

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi seren - as you can see, I had similar thoughts. I'm sure they know what they are doing though!

• Averages for non-taper weeks:

-  29 miles per week

-  Long run of 13 miles

-  Average of second longest run per week is 6 miles.

That plan is absolutely baffling - how on earth are you going to build any endurance?