Running Motivation

I just wanted to find out a bit more information about why all you lovely people have taken up running? Whether that is as a child, teenager, young adult or later in life?

I have been running for about 4 years now as a lot of my work colleagues are runners and it's a good way for me to keep fit. I never exercised when I was a child/teenager and only took it up when I was about 23 so I don't find it particuarly easy and I often find it hard to understand a "runners" psyche. The sheer love of running that will allow them to go out running for all lengths of times, running in various terrains and in all kinds of weather. The slightest bit of rain and it's my perfect excuse not to go out!

I work with a lot of runners who seem to be obsessed by it and I struggle to understand something that is so alien to me. So I was just wondered if you could give me more insight into what makes you grab your running shoes and pound the streets?!

Do those of you who truly love running find the less enthusiastic runners irritating? Do the less than enthusiastic runners find it hard to relate to "proper runners" in the same way I do?

Any tips and advice to take running to the next level?

Thanks!

Comments

• I don't get irritated by less enthustiastic runners! I started running as I needed to increase fitness and lose some weight. Now I run because I love it! I keep pushing myself because I want to go faster, but I'd be quite happy just knocking out 40-50 slow miles a week forever. The odd run is tough, or draining, but generally I love being out in all weathers.

It's hard to give tips on how to take it to the next level without knowing what level you're at in terms of miles per week and race times. I would suggest that if there's an excuse not to get out, use it as an excuse to just run for 5 minutes. once you're out you'll probably run further. The hardest step is the one out of the front door.

• Exactly the same as chubby bloke. I started running for weight loss. Before I knew it I was clocking up more and more miles on each long run. I'm in my own little world for those miles and I can clear my head, think things through or just generally enjoy the scenery. Then I started running in woods, on trails, in the peaks when the sun was shining and it was hot, when it was raining and even in 8 inches of snow and ice on rocky trails. I can understand why none runners think we are obsessed but I think we are just passionate and enjoy it so much. I guess its the same as everything, if you dont feel anything for it then its hard to understand why others do. My suggestion to you would be to create a plan of when, where (vary your routes, go off road onto trails etc) , how much you want to run over a few weeks. Make sure you go out regardless of the weather. If you find you cant stick to it or you dont feel obsessed/passionate at the end of it then maybe running isnt for you ?

I'm 45, took up running at the beginning of this year and love it. I get grumpy if I cant get out for a run, particularly my long run at the weekend. I'm aiming to increase my mileage in the new year and from running my first half marathon in November I am signed up to run a 50 miler in September, thats how much I enjoy it.

• I started off quite simply by getting drunk and boasting about what I could do - 3 weeks later I ran my first half marathon - over the years the times dropped, that first half marathon in 1:56 became 1:15 after a lot of miles and hard training -

It is 30 years in February since that first drunken boast and I still love being outside in the elements as much now as I ever did. Running has taken me to Berlin, Malta, Holland, France etc (even as far as Wales) - and as someone who was rubbish at football and other team sports - I suddenly found at 23 something I could do - and by careful training and planning I could be reasonable

• I took up running as an ankle injury put paid to my much loved footy, that was decades ago. My one tip for moving to another level would be to join a local running club, you'll be amongst all standards of runners, a high proportion of which are enthusiastic towards every standard of runner. You'll be motivated to push yourself just that little bit more & the next level will be reached!

• I took up running aged 33 in late-2006. My other half at the time had taken up running and I had two daft ideas. Firstly that it was something we could do together since she was getting into it, she dumped me a year later. Secondly that the first race I would run was a marathon.

For background info I'd never been a runner. I was the kid that collapsed trying to run the length of the football pitch. The slowest runner in the school. For me it was completing that marathon four months later that was such an amazing feeling. I couldn't believe that I, that slow non-running kid, had actually completed a marathon.

After that it was fitness. I had got to a fitness level I've never had and didn't want to lose it. Then it became part of my routine and finally it became that if I didn't get out I felt like I'd been slacking. I now go stir crazy if I can't get out regularly.

• There are certain days and certain runs when the endorphins flow.

It took me about 4 years of running before I started getting them. One day I went for a run in the local Royal Park on a horrid wet Autumn day, and I just got a rush.

Running before then wasn't a struggle as I start running to keep fit for other sports. I was use to going for the gym and doing exercise classes before then so I was toned and had some level of fittness but doing team sports meant I had to build my endurance up.

Now I suffer from a health issue that makes running unpleasant and lots of others sports off-limits, but when I can run I can still get the endorphin rush.