Outlaw 2013

Comments

• i have had cheese and marmite sandwiches................in the past i have not really gone very technical on the bike....i have chosen foods that i like so i will be tempted by them and ones that are cheap...........and ones that don't cause stomach problems

might start to look at it a bit more technically this year

• Is there a right and wrong type of stool?  Clearly type 7 is a little unfortunate... but of the others, I wonder what might cause such clearly defined structures!

On more 'on topic' note... what events are people doing in the build up to Outlaw...  This is my list so far...  

Winter Tanners (Run)
    Punchbowl (Run)
    Thanet 20 (Run)
    Hell of Ashdown (Bike)
    King of the Downs (bike) 
    7 Oaks Circular (Run)
    LDWA SD Mara (Run
    Kent Castles 100 (Bike)
    Chiltern 100 (Bike)
    SD Mara (Run)

And I am looking for more to do.... God the LDWA otherwise I would be broke.  But there are some bike gaps in there and I am on the lookout for long bike rides in the locality of Kent/Sussex/Essex.... might stretch to Surrey at a pinch.  I need to squeeze a half IM in there somewhere too...  where is the DIY thread?  

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

I'm planning to do the DIY half and the chiltern 100. other than that I will be on the look out for some more cycle events in Bedfordshire area and either some local shorter tri's or swimming events involving open water swims.

I'd like to maybe do a sea swim event  sometime next year to decide if a sea based ironman is a possibility for another year.

does anyone know if the lake at Holme pierrepoint is open for swimming at all other than for the outlaw and 1/2 outlaw? I might take a trip up to to take a look at the bike course one weekend and if I could suss out the lake too would be even more worthwhile

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Thanks Pixie, a quick search showed that there were coached sessions available last year on a Wed or Fri evening for £10.

http://www.absolute-triathlon-coaching.co.uk/coached-open-water-swimming.html

friday night swim followed by a lap of bike route on a Saturday sounds like a good plan if they do similar next year, anyone else fancy this? just an idea at the moment, will need to get organised with a suitable date nearer the time.

• there are some cheap sportiffs around if you shop about.  Also worth keeping an eye on the audax site - it's a bit like LDWA but for bikes.  Lots of long beards and mudguards so you will look a bit of a nonce if you turn up on a TT bike.  But on a regular road bike you will fit in and can get some extraordinary rides for very little money.

I'm doing some DIY (at home) long bricks and 1/2ish IM distance days.  I would love to join SA's group, but his gaff is bllody miles away from me so I will support from a distance! 

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Thanks, PSC, Audax site looks good, Pencilled in a couple of possibilities.

• PSC.i forgot about the chiltern 100 but will have to see the date as have a half ironman  on june 2

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    PSC don't forget the Castle 100 that is in may from memory.

Also I'm sure some of us southerners can get together for some DIY bike rides and brick sessions.
  • I'm running out of weekends. The castle 100 is a good ride. I did it last year. I wonder if I can squeeze it in. image
  • See you at the Tanners - no entry on the day again this year so remember to book. Definitely value for money. Did 5:43 last year which was a PB by about an hour but it was a very quick route (flat & good dry tracks). Expect I will be back closer to 7 this year.

M..eface

• Already entered so see you there. image
  • thanks for the tip about audax PSC - think I might have a go at the 100s that are near Nottingham/Alfreton as they are close to meimage does it matter if I am a bit rubbish?

• Finally, after being floored by the bubonic plague for the past 10 days and having done the grand total of 30 minutes running in the preceeding *muttermuttermumble* weeks, training has started.  Wooooooo hooooooo! I am feeling quite excited.
    30 mins in the pool yesterday, just been for a 30 min run and will turbo tonight. 

• Great news Nursey! Are you starting from the beginning or just picking up from where you left off?
  • Picking up from where I left off.  I'm doing a variation on a theme of Fink (!) but not right from week one - I feel that would be too much of a reduction from the level of training I already do, so I've gone a wee bit below the volume I was doing before the Black Death struck.  Not that it was anything remotely hardcore to start with.  I think Leanda is fairly safe image.

• I need to spend some time sitting down and working out a training plan that will encompass everything I want to do next year

• start by trying to be realistic about what you are trying to achieve...  sub10 will require stupid amounts of training... but try not to target the cut offs.  Don't overcook the training otherwise family and friends will abandon you as a tri-bore.  Make a rest day a weekend day.  

I still think training is overrated.image  It's far too cold to be out on the bike.  Swimming in the pool is dull.... so running wins then with the occassional turbo ride as recovery! image  

On on

• my aim is merely to be able to finish within the cutoffs, once I have managed that then I can think about bettering times

just looked at that sentence and the word 'merely' and realised that most people I know wouldn't even consider entering or doing any of the training so I guess there is nothing 'mere' about any of it

• but that's where you are wrong Maths....  you don't need to kill yourself to get to the finish line, but you do need to be realistic and you do need to put in some reasonable training. But we are not pro's so keep things in balance...  It might be that you have a bad day (it can happen to anyone), but generally an IM is very achievable with some decent fitness and a strong mind.  keep the faith...  talking this far out is great.  It's the goons who enter with 2 months to go who will struggle as they won't have the  training foundation that we all have.

And remember it is all about the bike.....  my first IM I was training at 14mph.  Speed didn't pick up for ages... but I raced at 19mph. As Brad the Sideburn said, if I can do it then anyone can!  image

• mine was averaging 12 mph  on the road.but i did do all my long rides on my own.........I would try and not do all your long rides with a friend or with a group as ypou can be pulled along and then when it gets tough in the race you are not used to having to battle on your own.......

i was riding faster for wales in training but still managed to fail on the day........

so the better you train the more leeway you have incase things go wrong...

• tragically 'on the day' stuff happens... but generally speaking it doesn't.  Lots of slow training typically leads to good racing.  Training on your own is better than training in a group - as Seren rightly says, you get pulled along in a group.  IM is about your own efforts, not those of the big-quadded-macho-type at the front of the chain gang.  Any twerp can ride for hours looking through the lycra at the crack in front of them.  Only aspiring Ironmen can ride for 8 hours on their own and still cook dinner for the family when they get home!  image

• I am glad you have said that about training solo as I will be doing just about all my bike and run training solo - it is just easier to fit it in and still get to see the family that way. If I head out alone I can go really early, rides with the tri club don't start till 9 or 10, so they take most of a precious weekend day which leaves OH and kids sulking! I think it develops mental strength too, which has got to be a large part of the day - being able to carry on when you feel tired and fed up

is it naughty that I am posting on this thread when I am not doing the ful outlaw this year? run section as a relay team but I am doing the outlaw half by myself! I am guessing no-one is going to get upset about it!

• mathschick wrote (see)

is it naughty that I am posting on this thread when I am not doing the ful outlaw this year? run section as a relay team but I am doing the outlaw half by myself! I am guessing no-one is going to get upset about it!

And if they do get upset bollox to them image

• No, because you'll be doing Outlaw in 2014!
  • Britrisky wrote (see)
    No, because you'll be doing Outlaw in 2014!

certainly am image