Motivation?

Have a ton of work to try and get through tonight, food to get in and dogs to walk and i need to do my second run in my new regime (I made a personal challenge of getting back into running).. plus it's freezing cold and my heart just isn;t in it today! image

Anyone got any good tips for motivation under such circumstances?

Comments

• The harder it is to get out, the better you feel once it's run.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Your heart just isn't in it. Hardly surprising really. You've already got too much on your plate as it is.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Blogger Jogger, sounds like today is a bad day to try and get things rolling again, but every day can become like that.

You somehow need to make a run, 2-3 times a week/daily/doubly daily (delete as applicable) part of your routine, so that if you miss it it feels odd and a hassle.

At the moment you're at the stage where running feels odd and a hassle.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

don't spend so long thinking about it, just put those trainers on n go! (even a short run will make you feel great!)

• In the time you took to bother logging on here and posting a "Woo is me" you cold have got out there
  • Just light the fire, pull up the settee, pour yourself a glass of wine.

Hope that helps image

(p.s. reverse psychology does sometimes work)

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

My suggestion is to get your run out of the way as soon and as early as possible e.g. first thing in the morning so that you do not have to spend the rest of your day agonising over how much you do not feel like going our for a run! I also find it helpful not to spend a moment hesitating whether I should go out or not, generally the more time you spend thinking about this, the more excuses you will find why you should not go out for a run. It may also help to think about a way to reward yourself afterwards, e.g. a delicious mince pie with a steaming hot cuppa waiting for you on teh sofa on your return...

• if i found myself needing to get my run 'out of the way' then i'd find a different way to spend my time.

• Blogger jogger, youre a machine. You're a spartan, a warrior,a runner. Food is for the week.be efficient.get it in.walk dogs as you're warm up.return shower And finish work.dont let the work grind you down.
  • Best advice I read was in a Ranulf Fiennes book when he wrote "Just stand up". It works for me when sometimes you can get into a big long debate with yourself about the pros and cons of going out for a run. The physical act of just standing up breaks the mental thoughts and next thing you know kits on and you're out the door!

• I need to agree with Dan E. Trust that you will feel great after. Stop thinking. Get a good running lead and take the dogs out for a good run. Uphill is a piece of cake when they pull hard enough. 

What Stevie G says is true as well. I have my set days where I run. Dead or alive (almost) and when I miss the run it feels strange.

• I have this quotation dotted about, "For disappearing acts, its hard to beat what happens to the 8 hours left after 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work". Credited to Doug Larson a 1924 gold medal winner. He used to say it after being asked how he had time to train! I also remind myself there are 168 hours in a week, I suspect a lot of people waste a lot of these hours watching crap tv. If I cannot allocate a few of these hours to running then do I really want to be a runner? Life is too short to waste...