Thursday 20th Dec 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics:My grandfather and me.Around Nassau town we did roam

Yesterdays lyrics: 'The boys are back in town.' by Thin Lizzy.

What:4.5M Steadily done

Why: Didn't fancy a Fartlek on top of yesterdays Tempo run.

Coffee calling so catch up soon.

Comments

• Morning

Blisters: For my first IM I went with pretty much the approach you are following, since then I have changed to 1 x interval session, 1 x long swim, 1 x part intervals part drills. In all honesty it hasn't made a huge difference, I'm a bit quicker but not a lot. I think to we runners coming late to swimming that the best approach is that swimming is something we have to do to get to the bike.

what: 2K swim set
    why: Easy day
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 6/12

Had a stonking 10K last Saturday and took 1 minute 36 seconds off my PB which at 55 didn't ought to be possible, that or I have been taking it easy for the past 13 years! Still missed the 40 minute mark though by 6 seconds! 

• Morning.

Fantastic DD - well done!

Blisters - I find that keeping concentration and holding my stroke is harder when I'm 'just swimming' and that breaking the sets and having small rests makes it easier to keep the effort level up. It would be interesting to see how your time altered through each 400m if you did 4 x 400m off say 30 seconds. I can swim 10 x 100m off 10 seconds faster than I can swim 1k (when you take the rest time off the total of course). Swimming three times a week made me a better but not a much faster swimmer.

What:             something on the turbo
    Why:              will only have running for the next three days
    Last hard:      2/12
    Last rest:       14/12

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I would say the same about swimming its easier to maintain good technique swimming intervals with short breaks.Ditto swimming more made me a better but no quicker swimmer.

Lyrics: Yes and got yesterdays as well.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    DD - super stuff with the 10k, next time will be sub-40
    Wabo - more well dones with shedding the pounds...almost there!
    what - just done a brief stint on the dreadmill, 16minute mini pyramid (8x2mins up and down), just the 2.2miles
    why - bit jaded after last night's recovery 5miler was a bit quicker than planned (37.50)  + department 'do' today, I imagine that will kick off around midday....
    last hard - tuesdays track
    last rest - friday
    lyric - no idea

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    DD - good running there, though its been on the cards based on some of the good running sessions you've reported of late.

Lyrics - 'fraid so...showing my age again!

The weather here on the flatlands is 'orrible.....cold, wet (very) and windy (very indeed), which made for a rather disengaged effort.

What: 6.9M steady run

Why: (In this weather) charactor building

Last Hard: Last week

Last Rest: Tuesday
  • Afternoon, just!

Nice character building, Tom, and an even nicer PB, DD.

Lyrics: yes...and I think we may have had them before.

What: noothing, although if there is a break in the clouds may go for a walk (actually it may be a paddle).

Got back from the hospital feeling quite bouyant yesterday now that I have a treatment plan, to find that one of my friends had had a heart attack and died. At one time he was a pretty good runner, gaining area representative honours, but over the last 10 years had put on an enormous amount of weight, although he continued to try to run: he achieved a certain notoriety as he was last in every one of our club's summer 5k races for the last two years, so 8 in all. I sat next to him at the University Christmas Dinner on the 8th and he was in fine form. He was 66: Ron Hill has just emailed me "So how long have we got? Go out and enjoy life!" Not a happy Christmas for his 2 daughters. Funeral on 27th.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Blimey, ale. Didn't another friend of your just die a few weeks ago image?

Weather is horrible indeed. Miserable, grey, windy and cold. What you guys have as rain is supposed to come down here as snow around Christmas. While it's nice to have a white one it's rubbish for running. The forecast is for plus 5 on Boxing Day so it won't last image

what: 11 and a bit
    why: it seems a good distance
    last hard: fighting the wind
    last rest: Monday
    lyrics: no

• Yes, Chick, 2 in exactly 2 weeks! Decent mid-week run, I note!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

lyrics oh yes!

alehouse, oh thats too sad any time is but christmas, well especially so.

thanks dustin, yep beach holiday in 3 weeks, now how to keep the pudding off over christmas!

what: out with me schoolies and no running!

why: had a hair do this morning

last hard: still tuesday I did nothing last night in the end

last easy: yesterday

nearly done bring on the holidays!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • ale: Yeah  we've had these  lyrics before. They were in my head when out thi s morning. Sorry to hear your news.

• Birks:  I'm running short of lyrics, too!

Wabo:  when do you find about London place? Warm weather training as well!! Enjoy tonight and don't drink too much lemonade.

• That sucks Alehouse. Guess it's a timely reminder to enjoy what we have.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • What: Nothing
    Why: Although it's Thursday (club night), I'm on call , the girls are just off the plane and it's blowing a gale
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hardish: Tuesday
    Lyrics: No

Alehouse - Thoughts with you. A bit stuck for words.

Chick Well done for getting out!
    DD Well done on new PB

Gales forecast to continue until Christmas Eve so lucky we got the girls home.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Ale, sorry to hear, thoughts with you and the family

Well done DD

What 9 very wet miles
    Why Dropping a chrismas prest off, then getting the train home, before picking bike left at the station last night and cycling home...
    Last Hard - Sat
    Last Rest - Weds

Take care

• Alehouse. Now that news is a bit of a pisser. Sympathies and all that but I'm not sentimental about any individual's  tenuous grasp on life. We are born, we get taxed, we die (and get taxed again). I truly hope that you can all give the chap a good send off. I remember a few people for the warmth of the send off, and an disappointed about the wake each of my Grandparents were given. My other Grandad got a decent bunchuck. Much respect there.

I am annoyed about not knowing yesterday's lyrics.
    Today's have also got another very familar ring to them. The Nassau bit is throwing me though.
    By the way. Am I supposed to do some training in order to stay here?

I did make some fresh pasta. Does that count?

• Google check lyrics, familiarity check is OK. The second line was not one I was familiar with though.